Topping DX7 Pro - DAC and balanced headphone AMP with ES9038pro and Bluetooth 5.0
Jul 8, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #317 of 507
They are going in the headphone output stage (so should not affect electrostatics, which have a dedicated amp).

The aim is to increase resolution and soundstage, especially with HD600 (balanced) and ATH-W1000Z and SR325is (both single ended).

Jul 8, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #318 of 507
They are going in the headphone output stage (so should not affect electrostatics, which have a dedicated amp).

The aim is to increase resolution and soundstage, especially with HD600 (balanced) and ATH-W1000Z and SR325is (both single ended).
I wonder why u say that? Estats need an amp&energiser, but also ur source effect the sound that it's amplifying. There also pure energisers that need strong speaker amp to run proper. That closer probably you can't even get the source.

Jul 8, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #320 of 507
I wonder why u say that? Estats need an amp&energiser, but also ur source effect the sound that it's amplifying. There also pure energisers that need strong speaker amp to run proper. That closer probably you can't even get the source.
I’m only replacing the opamps in the headphone amp stage (not the ones in the line output).

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #321 of 507
I’m only replacing the opamps in the headphone amp stage (not the ones in the line output).
Oh, I changed them all :) I recommend to use balanced output it's somehow finer sounding. You can use HP or line output for the Stax amp&energiser. It do not really matter much. But there is still some sophisticated differences.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #322 of 507
Just received and fitted the V6 Classics in the headphone output stage.

So far: sound is darker and subjectively „smoother“, with no loss of resolution. The biggest improvement is to soundstage width.

The downside was the need to fit the opamps with the help of some rather floppy „extenders“ from Audiophonics, leaving the V6s loose in the case. Not an elegant solution, but better than either leaving the casework off (dust, safety!), or cutting holes in the top (aargh!). Can’t Burson just make them a wee bit shorter?

Aug 15, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #324 of 507
Anyone having problems with the Apple USB Camera dongle?
I have two , one non Apple and the other is an Apple dongle . A google search didn’t come up with anything , just can’t seem to get anything running through either , Bluetooth works fine on the Topping but I’d rather have the higher bitrate from the usb connection.

Aug 15, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #325 of 507
Just received and fitted the V6 Classics in the headphone output stage.

So far: sound is darker and subjectively „smoother“, with no loss of resolution. The biggest improvement is to soundstage width.

The downside was the need to fit the opamps with the help of some rather floppy „extenders“ from Audiophonics, leaving the V6s loose in the case. Not an elegant solution, but better than either leaving the casework off (dust, safety!), or cutting holes in the top (aargh!). Can’t Burson just make them a wee bit shorter?
Or Topping could make it a bit taller. Why to offer swap op-amps but don't support the best ones... Btw headphone stage uses all four. Two for amping and two for buffering.

Aug 15, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #326 of 507
Anyone having problems with the Apple USB Camera dongle?
I have two , one non Apple and the other is an Apple dongle . A google search didn’t come up with anything , just can’t seem to get anything running through either , Bluetooth works fine on the Topping but I’d rather have the higher bitrate from the usb connection.
Looks like the USB input isn't working , Tried three different dongles and a USB cable from MacBook Pro and none work although Bluetooth is working fine , Hopefully its fixed under warranty but Ill have to ship back to China :frowning2:

Aug 15, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #327 of 507
Could you recommend active speakers for back outputs?
I'd like to use for computer, music listening, too much volume not need for me, but nice sound quality is mandatory.
Or... I need to buy stereo amp + normal speakers?

Aug 16, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #328 of 507
Could you recommend active speakers for back outputs?
I'd like to use for computer, music listening, too much volume not need for me, but nice sound quality is mandatory.
Or... I need to buy stereo amp + normal speakers?
I use the Tannoy Gold 5 with my DX7 Pro.

You need to use a powered speaker because the DX7 Pro only acts as a pre-amp. There are lots of good options out there depending on your taste in sound.

Aug 18, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #329 of 507
I use the Tannoy Gold 5 with my DX7 Pro.

You need to use a powered speaker because the DX7 Pro only acts as a pre-amp. There are lots of good options out there depending on your taste in sound.
Thank you, I checked the Tannoy family. Unfortunately, in Hungary only Tannoy Gold 7 is available, which is more expensive, but I'll keep my eyes on this brand, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back