Topping DX7 Pro - DAC and balanced headphone AMP with ES9038pro and Bluetooth 5.0
Oct 1, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #346 of 507
Just a word of caution to all you fellow DX7 Pro owners out there:

This morning, I was listening to my DX7 via the balanced output, and noticed that the left channel was intermittent. At first, I suspected a dodgy connection (as you do), but then I noticed that the signal came and went when you tap on the case. I opened it up, and found that one of the op-amps for the headphone output (Burson V6i Classic) had come out of its socket, and the pins were only just making contact… Those Audiophonics extenders are so darn springy! In the end, I bent the pins slightly to ensure a tighter fit: problem solved.

Oct 1, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #347 of 507
Just a word of caution to all you fellow DX7 Pro owners out there:

This morning, I was listening to my DX7 via the balanced output, and noticed that the left channel was intermittent. At first, I suspected a dodgy connection (as you do), but then I noticed that the signal came and went when you tap on the case. I opened it up, and found that one of the op-amps for the headphone output (Burson V6i Classic) had come out of its socket, and the pins were only just making contact… Those Audiophonics extenders are so darn springy! In the end, I bent the pins slightly to ensure a tighter fit: problem solved.
oh yeah that is why decided to go with Sparkos instead Burson.. didn't really like the idea of having adapter cable.. hopefully it arrives soon.

Will report back on its effectiveness on sound :)

DX7 as is, lacks a little clarity and soundstage....

Oct 12, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #348 of 507
Hi, i will receive the Dx7 pro tomorrow and i want to upgrade the opamps but i m torn between buying 2x burson V6 vivid or 2x V6 classic.
Leaning more toward V6 vivid but i m still not sure.
I will mainly use ThieAudio Monarch on 4.4mm balanced output or Grado PS1000e on 6.5mm
Edit: Well i bought both vivid and classic. I will send back the one i don't like
Edit2: And i also bought the SPARKOS LABS SS3602 x2

Edit3: the Dx7 pro is not as good as my old amp/dac the Musical Fidelity M1HPA. Like previously said, the Dx7 lacks clarity and soundstage.
I hope the opamp rolling will change this. If not, i will send back the Dx7 pro

Edit4: Using the Dx7 pro as Dac only and the M1HPA as an amp, the sound a touch too bright but it s great :) I use the Atlas equator 3 rca cable to connect the Dac and The Amp

Edit5: i contacted support from audiophonics. If i open the case of topping Dx7 pro, i won't be able to send it back. So, i m sending everything back. I ll stick with my old 10 years old amp MF M1HPA. I will just bought an iFi iEMatch+ to remove background noise from my amp.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #349 of 507
Does anyone know which OPAMP is the headphone out of the DX7 pro? I cant seem to find anything on it as far as which OPAMP is which. I have a Burson V5i that I want to throw in before the vivds get here (if they ever do). I just got this yesterday and I like the featureset so far but I just realized they use the OPA1612 that I got to replace the stock OPAMPS in the EVGA sound card I have, then replaced those with Burson V5i.

Oct 24, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #350 of 507
Hi, i will receive the Dx7 pro tomorrow and i want to upgrade the opamps but i m torn between buying 2x burson V6 vivid or 2x V6 classic.
Leaning more toward V6 vivid but i m still not sure.
I will mainly use ThieAudio Monarch on 4.4mm balanced output or Grado PS1000e on 6.5mm
Edit: Well i bought both vivid and classic. I will send back the one i don't like
Edit2: And i also bought the SPARKOS LABS SS3602 x2

Edit3: the Dx7 pro is not as good as my old amp/dac the Musical Fidelity M1HPA. Like previously said, the Dx7 lacks clarity and soundstage.
I hope the opamp rolling will change this. If not, i will send back the Dx7 pro

Edit4: Using the Dx7 pro as Dac only and the M1HPA as an amp, the sound a touch too bright but it s great :) I use the Atlas equator 3 rca cable to connect the Dac and The Amp

Edit5: i contacted support from audiophonics. If i open the case of topping Dx7 pro, i won't be able to send it back. So, i m sending everything back. I ll stick with my old 10 years old amp MF M1HPA. I will just bought an iFi iEMatch+ to remove background noise from my amp.
Guess I'm too late on this one - the vivds would have been a night and day difference compared to the OPA1612 OPAMPS that are in the unit. Just hearing the difference between the 1612's and the V5i in a completely different sound card was more than enough to know how much the sound signiture would have changed. I have heard Muse are very good as well but have never heard them.

Oct 24, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #351 of 507
Does anyone know which OPAMP is the headphone out of the DX7 pro? I cant seem to find anything on it as far as which OPAMP is which. I have a Burson V5i that I want to throw in before the vivds get here (if they ever do). I just got this yesterday and I like the featureset so far but I just realized they use the OPA1612 that I got to replace the stock OPAMPS in the EVGA sound card I have, then replaced those with Burson V5i.
It’s the ones at the front, nearest the control panel.

Oct 24, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #352 of 507
It’s the ones at the front, nearest the control panel.
I was thinking those were the ones, but I only have one OPAMP right now and want to make sure I get the right one changed. Scratch that, I need the line out changed, not the headphone yet.

Do you know which OPAMP is the one to change for the RCA out? Still looking for some kind of schematic to show me which one is which.

Oct 24, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #353 of 507
They’re the ones at the back.

Oct 24, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #354 of 507
They’re the ones at the back.
I figured, but like I said, I need to change one out, but don't know which one :D
And unless I'm just not looking very well, then topping doesnt have a schematic outlining which OPAMP is the RCA line out.

Oct 26, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #355 of 507
The line stage opamps are the red ones at the back. They are both double opamps (Burson V6i Vivid here) as this is a fully balanced circuit.

08A63175-6910-41C4-9545-5055CE0C1957.jpeg

Oct 29, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #358 of 507
A buffer should have an impact on SQ…

Oct 29, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #360 of 507
Rather a generalization…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back