Topping DX7 Pro - DAC and balanced headphone AMP with ES9038pro and Bluetooth 5.0
Nov 2, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #361 of 507
Just got OPAMP from Burson Audio, V6 Vivid descrete Opamp, as a free trial today which came with the adapter cable to be used in the DX7 pro DAC/amp, as

Was very skeptical about OPAMP and how much of improvement it could make to the sound of the amp. Thought it could be some sort of audio myth like power cables…. Luckily Burson Audio gave me chance to test this myth out.

Was more interested in improving sound quality of headphone out of the DX7.

I have not listened to DX7 headphone out as it just didn't sound any good compared to my other amps, minds you they costed 3~4 times cost of the DX7. Dull with very cramped soundstage, compared other amps I had at home. The difference was night and day.

To test, I am using Sonnet Hermes as streamer running Volumio, streaming local content, FLAC files, connected to DX7 via Coaxial RCA cable. Headphone I have used was Sennheiser HD800S.

To compare this amp I have used SPL Phonitor X fed via Aqua La Voce S3 which was connected to Sonnect Hermes using I2S RJ45 connection.

I know it is not a fair game but it will be interesting to see how much of change OPAMP has made.

Burson Opamp V6 Vivid and extension cable that came today in beautiful box.

20211102_154735.jpg

Opened the case and slid out the board for the DX7 and installed OPAMP into my headphone out circuit
20211102_160007.jpg

20211102_160038.jpg

Made sure to bend the pin nicely, listening to @CJG888’s warning message before putting things back into the system.

turned on the DX7 and let it warmed up for 30 minutes or so.

Time to listen to the music, I am a classical music listener and can’t tell the sound if playing non-classical music… hence music selected are all classical music.

Played my usual test music, first was my favorited Yo Yo Ma's Bach Trio album. Immediately I can notice the difference in sound quality. It now has amazing treble extension that you weren't able to get with the stock OPAMP. At same time instruments are now well defined and separated. Soundstage has widened enormously, improvement in depth of the soundstage was only marginal unfortunately. Now bass is so much more tighter and deep bass sound cell is very well defined.

Now moved on to Wind concerto, Vivaldi Oboe & Bassoon Concerto. Immediately you hear oboe's now sounds so much better with sparkles and bassoon's deep bass was very tight and well defined.

Now to test vocal, listened to Vivaldi Virtuoso Cantatas sung by Counter-Tenor. Vocal is bit forward than what I would have liked but vocal still had the sparkles in treble and sound separation is awesome with good soundstage width .

Now comparing this to SPL Phonitor X, which costed 4 times more than DX7 but this is only other amp I have. I know its not fair but DX7 kept really well to this amp. Only thing it just couldn't keep up with was detail retrieval and depth of soundstage.

Now I swapped out the Opamp from Headphone out circuit to DAC line out to test out the DAC portion of the device.

Sonnet Hermes was feeding the DX7 pro via Coaxial RCA and then it was connected to custom SET Tube amp via single ended RCA connection.

Opamp has somehow cutout that usual Sabre treble peak.. not sure might need to listen to this for longer as I have only listened to this for less than half a day. Soundstage has definitely been widened, like the headphone out, Bass has also been extended as well.

Never thought this little device could make this sort of dramatic changes to sound.

Will compare this to sparko once it arrives. It has been more than a month but still no sign of the Opamp.

Last photo of my audio shelf on tope of my desk.

20211102_193103.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #362 of 507
I also received a pair of Vivids as part of the free trial, however I am using them on the line output buffer (the sockets at the back, see previous photos). I will be posting impressions once I have had a little more time with them. On the whole, I think it is a worthwhile upgrade, particularly in terms of resolution and treble extension. Also, Burson’s own extension leads are better than the ones from Audiophonics (less stiff and springy), and are less likely to come out of the sockets of their own accord!

For about 90% of the time, I have been using the DX7 Pro as a DAC, into my WBA Tzar OTL headphone amp / preamp, driving ATH R70x, ATH W1000z, DT880-600, DT48A, HE-400i, Grado SR325is and my own heavily-modded, woody SR225i, or a modded APPJ PA0901A into desktop monitors of my own design…

Nov 2, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #363 of 507
I also received a pair of Vivids as part of the free trial, however I am using them on the line output buffer (the sockets at the back, see previous photos). I will be posting impressions once I have had a little more time with them. On the whole, I think it is a worthwhile upgrade, particularly in terms of resolution and treble extension. Also, Burson’s own extension leads are better than the ones from Audiophonics (less stiff and springy), and are less likely to come out of the sockets of their own accord!

For about 90% of the time, I have been using the DX7 Pro as a DAC, into my WBA Tzar OTL headphone amp / preamp, driving ATH R70x, ATH W1000z, DT880-600, DT48A, HE-400i, Grado SR325is and my own heavily-modded, woody SR225i, or a modded APPJ PA0901A into desktop monitors of my own design…
Yeah I have been using DX7 Pro exclusively as DAC, 99% of times.. .My Opamp is also connected to DAC line out circuit like yours. Absolute amount of mprovement was more on headphone out but as I use more as DAC mode and also the sound improvement was in my liking. wider sound stage and more detail retrieval, in my opinion.

Nov 2, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #364 of 507
I asked for a free trial. They said they are not in the business of lending out audio equipment. I bought them and compared them to the stock amps. There is no difference in sound quality whatsoever. Not sure what's going on here but you are either delusional or being paid by Burson.

Nov 2, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #365 of 507
I asked for a free trial. They said they are not in the business of lending out audio equipment. I bought them and compared them to the stock amps. There is no difference in sound quality whatsoever. Not sure what's going on here but you are either delusional or being paid by Burson.

Have you thought about some people might have more sensitive ear than you? Or they might have more revealing system than you?

Nov 2, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #366 of 507
The difference is subtle (and more readily heard via the line out), but it is there. It’s like going from a current production Sovtek 6922 to a NOS Sylvania 7308…

You didn’t mention which equipment (amp, headphones, cables) you are using with the DX7 Pro..

Nov 2, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #367 of 507
Have you thought about some people might have more sensitive ear than you? Or they might have more revealing system than you?
No because I can hear certain things in audio quite well compared to other people. Which is sometimes unfortunate as it can be a pain in the ass when music is not perfectly recorded.
And try to have a conversation with people that can't pick that out. It sucks because they don't believe you.
I don't think I'm actually better in this because I believe it all has to do with training your ears.
My speakers are active and are objectively the most revealing speaker you can buy.
My headphones are a matter of taste I guess but are heavily modified (older model) reference headphones and my iem's are very revealing and are very high on the list over at crinnacle.
But it doesn't matter what my equipment is since I'm not here to brag about it and you are probably asking about it to discredit my claim. Nothing has been changed but the op amps so if there's no sound difference with any quality equipment than that is actually the bottom line.

The op amps are just buffers and not the actual sound producing part so why you think there should be a difference in audio is beyond me.

My Burson amps have been sold.

Nov 2, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #368 of 507
Here is the official answer from TOPPING on headphones (taken from a different forum) :

Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.

Actually DX7Pro is able to drive 600ohm headphones, the specifications we write are conservative. The headphone is not driven by LME49720, but by the more powerful AD8397.

Best Regards,
--------------------

TOPPING SERVICE

Nov 2, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #369 of 507

I just got some vivids as well and popped them in a couple days ago....they are different for sure. The detail retrieval is insane and def the soundstage is wider compared to the V5i I'm used to using.
Unfortunately, they are now out. Not because of sound, but because on of the extensions broke. Shipped from Burson as well so I'll have to see about getting a replacement.

Attachments

• 5E202961-4826-4764-AB85-E72120AC1F42.jpeg
    5E202961-4826-4764-AB85-E72120AC1F42.jpeg
    1,017.3 KB · Views: 0
Nov 2, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #370 of 507
Well I wouldn't ask for free gear, in order to have them approach you, you'd have to be I guess, into OPAMP swapping on the regular.
From what I understand, the bursons take a while to burn in and the sound characteristics will change over time, so doing a quick sound test and coming up with a final conclusion seconds after listening isn't going to give you an accurate depiction of the OPAMP. A lot has to do with equipment as well. Going from stock OPAMP in a nu audio sound card to Burson V5i made a world of difference, and going to vivids in the DX7 Pro made a difference as well, just not as big as the nu audio and the V5i, but it was there, and clearly heard.
And I bought all my OPAMPs myself, so there is no bias and certainly no one is paying me to say nice things about Burson.

Nov 2, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #371 of 507
Hello everyone, It is nice to see that the discussions on the DX7 pro are still active in 2021.
I've become really interested in single unit DAC/AMP combo lately and have just learned about the DX7pro.
I was wondering if those of you who have experience with it can answer a couple of questions about it.

Are there any firmware issues or driver issues that haven't been resolved since it launch in 2019?
Have there been any revisions of the Dx7 since it launched?
Is the Bluetooth function a receiver or a transmitter?
Also since this has been out for a couple years now, is there any other more recent DAC/AMP I should consider?

Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #372 of 507
Hello everyone, It is nice to see that the discussions on the DX7 pro are still active in 2021.
I've become really interested in single unit DAC/AMP combo lately and have just learned about the DX7pro.
I was wondering if those of you who have experience with it can answer a couple of questions about it.

Are there any firmware issues or driver issues that haven't been resolved since it launch in 2019?
Also since this has been out for a couple years now, is there any other more recent DAC/AMP I should consider?

Thanks
I have the unit. Just got it a couple weeks ago. No driver issues or firmware update notifications. I can't speak for the Bluetooth as I don't need it or use it. Flawless operation so far, no complaints here.

Nov 2, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #373 of 507
Well I wouldn't ask for free gear, in order to have them approach you, you'd have to be I guess, into OPAMP swapping on the regular.
From what I understand, the bursons take a while to burn in and the sound characteristics will change over time, so doing a quick sound test and coming up with a final conclusion seconds after listening isn't going to give you an accurate depiction of the OPAMP. A lot has to do with equipment as well. Going from stock OPAMP in a nu audio sound card to Burson V5i made a world of difference, and going to vivids in the DX7 Pro made a difference as well, just not as big as the nu audio and the V5i, but it was there, and clearly heard.
And I bought all my OPAMPs myself, so there is no bias and certainly no one is paying me to say nice things about Burson.
Not free, but rather a free trial version which I'd be able to send back.
Anyway, I bought my Burson V6 vivid's secondhand so the burn in had been done by the previous owner.
They were installed into the Dx7 pro and didn't make a difference in them.

Nov 2, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #374 of 507

Thanks
Are there any firmware issues or driver issues that haven't been resolved since it launch in 2019? No
Have there been any revisions of the Dx7 since it launched? No
Is the Bluetooth function a receiver or a transmitter? Don't know, don't use it.
Also since this has been out for a couple years now, is there any other more recent DAC/AMP I should consider? If you want a single box I think this is it.
The D90SE is the best dac right now and combined with the A90 I don't think there's anything out there that's better. But if the difference is audible.. Don't know because I haven't heard that combo. Just read the reviews on ASR.

Nov 2, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #375 of 507

Thanks
Looks like everything has been answered except bluetooth.

It's receiver only and not a transmitter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back