Topping DX7 Pro - DAC and balanced headphone AMP with ES9038pro and Bluetooth 5.0
Jan 15, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #76 of 507
Thanks for the review. I was worried about the impedance mismatch, but you loved the pairing with the Empyrean. So which connection did you use with the Meze Empyrean? Would it be your favorite DAC/amp for this headphone?

I used the XLR Balanced output.

As for favorites, I don't have a tremendous quantity of DACs to compare against. It's very good. Still, if I'm perfectly honest, for a standalone unit, I still prefer the NFB-28. It has the slightly rounder, more natural voice, and significantly more power. Currently, though, I am using the X7pro and the Cayin iHA-6. That combo results in one hell of a reference sound.

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #77 of 507
I used the XLR Balanced output.

As for favorites, I don't have a tremendous quantity of DACs to compare against. It's very good. Still, if I'm perfectly honest, for a standalone unit, I still prefer the NFB-28. It has the slightly rounder, more natural voice, and significantly more power. Currently, though, I am using the X7pro and the Cayin iHA-6. That combo results in one hell of a reference sound.
Do you think the DX7 Pro would be a good combo with the SP200?

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #78 of 507
Do you think the DX7 Pro would be a good combo with the SP200?

I can't say for sure, but I don't see why not. The DX7Pro is a fantastic DAC. The amp stage is just a little under powered. And even that is not a perfectly honest statement, since it drives most headphones quite well. Still, a good strong standalone amp seems to help things along ever so nicely. It adds a little something special. :)

I would recommend reading as many reviews of the SP200 as you can find, and try and figure out if it seems like the sort of amp that would pair well with a neutral, kind of dry DAC.

Feb 8, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #79 of 507
I'm looking at the DX7 pro to be the heart of my system. Looking to power my HD650 balanced and use the XLR output for the JBL 305 mk2 powered monitors.
I'll use the SPDIF input for my TV and use the usb for my PC. I'm hoping that the amp won't pick up my GPU under load. If it does is there any downside to use a SPDIF to COAX and use that as an input to gain a "second" SPDIF input?

Feb 12, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #80 of 507
I'm looking at the DX7 pro to be the heart of my system. Looking to power my HD650 balanced and use the XLR output for the JBL 305 mk2 powered monitors.
I'll use the SPDIF input for my TV and use the usb for my PC. I'm hoping that the amp won't pick up my GPU under load. If it does is there any downside to use a SPDIF to COAX and use that as an input to gain a "second" SPDIF input?

I have been using this technique with my SU-8 with no, at least audible, issues. Although I am using the Toslink for PC and Coax for TV (latter mostly through monitors, not headphones).

Mar 2, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #81 of 507
Hi everyone, I am looking at purchasing either the DX7 pro and Monoprice THX 788. Speakers are Swans T200B powered monitors, headphones Hifiman sundara and good old 598s.

80% of the time I am using my speakers, so the DAC component for preamp out/bypass is most impt for me. I am aware that the Monoprice 788 has just a parametric EQ, does the DX7 pro have a full 10 band EQ? Ability to save previous settings and Ease of use in switching between preamp out and Headphone out are very valuable too. I would assume the amps from both units would power my headphones easily.

Just looking for a All in one unit. Would not be buying amps seperately. Any input, advice or suggestions would be appreciated ty :)

Mar 3, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #82 of 507
Both units are well designed and both measure very well, audible transparent: Topping DX7 pro vs. Monoprice THX 788. The background noise of the Monoprice is about 15dB higher than DX7 pro when playing from USB and outputting on the XLR out, but that doesn't means that your active speakers will pick up any of this noise, so I would recommend you to consider the following when doing your purchase:
- Monoprice combo has Analogue inputs, while Topping doesn't.
- Availability of warranty/post-warranty support in your country.
- Price.

I personally consider that the main advantage of the Monoprice combo over the DX7Pro is the Analogue inputs, while the main advantage of the DX7Pro would be a much lower background noise.

Mar 3, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #83 of 507
Both units are well designed and both measure very well, audible transparent: Topping DX7 pro vs. Monoprice THX 788. The background noise of the Monoprice is about 15dB higher than DX7 pro when playing from USB and outputting on the XLR out, but that doesn't means that your active speakers will pick up any of this noise, so I would recommend you to consider the following when doing your purchase:
- Monoprice combo has Analogue inputs, while Topping doesn't.
- Availability of warranty/post-warranty support in your country.
- Price.

I personally consider that the main advantage of the Monoprice combo over the DX7Pro is the Analogue inputs, while the main advantage of the DX7Pro would be a much lower background noise.

Thanks for the reply. I have read that the DX7 pro saves your settings for each output, does the 788 do so too? I have been unable to find out how the inbuilt EQ of the DX7 pro is like as well. I would assume both units are decently easy to swap between outputs once u get used to it :)

Mar 3, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #85 of 507
Hello All,
I need a headphone dac/amp. So I bought Philips Fidelio X2HR after listening to the zeos' sound demo of this headphone, I realized I am after this very sound signature.
I have an old phone one plus 3 and plugged the headphone in to the phone, so at lower volumes everything sounds almost good but if i cross half of the scale the bass distorts and highs peak in some songs but from my HP laptop it sounds fine although the bass sounds very loose from the laptop, so I researched and people said they do recommend a DAC/AMP with it, and it sounds better with more powered amps, so I want to pair it with the best option for it.
So I want to invest in something which will never be a waste of money, I want to use it with my phone also with the laptop, also I know I will buy better headphones in future so something which can be upgraded and balanced, so I was thinking Ifi ZEN DAC/AMP and it can be used as a dac only also in future also it is balanced, but I am open to other recommendations and suggestions, this is going to be my first DAC/Amp.
Also I would love and highly consider recommendation from someone, who owns x2hrs and had them perfectly paired with a dac amp.

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #86 of 507
Hello everyone
I am following this thread since a few weeks and searching the market for a dac/amp and new headphones.
I was doubting between a smsl m500 and the dx7 pro, but now decided to go for the dx7 pro.
Does anybody has expierence with the DX in combo with the Shure srh1540, because that would be the headphone of my choice.
I appreciate all replies.

Apr 15, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #88 of 507
I've been using the DX7 Pro for a couple of days and I absolutely love it. It's a very solid upgrade from the original DX7 in terms of features and aesthetics. So far I've only used the balanced XLR outs with speakers and the 1/4" PO with a few IEMs. Will do some testing with the balanced PO soon. While I'm not sure yet if I prefer the sound over the Singxer SDA-2 but in terms of usability the DX7 Pro is fantastic.

DSC_5767_result.jpg

Apr 22, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #89 of 507
what about the sound part? aside from obviously more power, what perceptible sound change do you feel you got going up from DX7?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #90 of 507
Got a DX7 Pro yesterday and have had maybe 2 hours listening. I was concerned about the high output impedance, but several reviews seem to indicate it wasn't an issue in their use, even with Andromeda, etc. Sounds fantastic with my Focal Stellia (4.4 balanced). Haven't done much listening with my Sony IER-Z1R, but in 10-15 minutes it sounded okay and didn't notice any major changes relative to using my DAPs (4.4 balanced). Unfortunately with my HYLA Sarda (7-8 ohm impedance) I did notice a change in sound using 4.4. Bass becomes bloated and dominates the response and not in a good way. Haven't tried single ended yet. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is contemplating this with sensitive IEMs out of balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back