TOPPING DX3 Pro
Dec 5, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #46 of 160
Nope, I've used it with a couple of IEMs but they didn't have mics, so no experience with that.
@jwong, sorry - the Topping rep who's responding on the Forum That Shall Remain Nameless was TP-Wong, so I carelessly implicated you as someone who's involved at the OEM level. @voon, you can Google your way there, if you want to engage directly.

Dec 6, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #47 of 160
@mhoopes

Thanks for responding. I wouldn't know the name .. it's just generic stuff that came with my (android) mobile phones I used for testing .. they both worked fine, though. One of them was happily playing stereo, then suddenly my right ear got hot .. or rather, the right IEM.

I'm not sure how to test that with a normal TRS jack .. I'm sure as hell not going to plugin one of my expensive IEMs with just TRS, while I can measure 5 Volts on the right channel with the left not even crossing 0.5 and playing loudly.... that's just not right.

Dec 13, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #48 of 160
Can the TOPPING DX3 PRO work with a mobile device via BLUETOOTH without needing software updating/maintenance through a computer first? Will it work with a cellphone right out of the box?

Dec 13, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #49 of 160
Can the TOPPING DX3 PRO work with a mobile device via BLUETOOTH without needing software updating/maintenance through a computer first? Will it work with a cellphone right out of the box?
Alberto - BT works right out of the box. One thing to note, at least for my use case (I have other receivers I also use): Every time I switch the DX3Pro to BT, it doesn't automatically connect to my iPhone Xs. I have to go to BT Settings on my iPhone and click on Topping DX3 to connect. Not really a big deal; there's no "pairing" mode on the DX3.

Dec 14, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #51 of 160
Thank you, mhoopes!

How is the sound quality with IEMs compared to the sound quality of the Radsone EarStudio ES100 and the FiiO BTR3?
I haven’t tried the BTR3, but I like the ES100 sound better than the DX3Pro, due to the EQ.

If you’re just looking for a BT amp, and don’t need the other DX3Pro features (desktop form factor, remote, preamp out, coax&optical in), the ES100 is a better use of funds.

Likewise, if you don’t need the extra ES100 features (EQ, mobile app configuration, 300 Ohm driving capability, actual 30 m BT range), then the BTR3 is a good choice for the money.

Dec 16, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #52 of 160
Got my DX3 Pro for about 3 days now. Got it for €140 in China during 12.12 on Taobao. haha A PROPER bargain. I'm gunning for the D50 at the same price at 1.1.

I have to Say I'm quite impressed with the little unit! It's even driving my 600 ohm Beyers dynamics pretty decently!!! When I do A/B comparison with my highly customised Lehman it's maybe not as tight or refined in the details but this is really marginal! Nothing lacking in power and also about clarity or transparency I have nothing to write bad about. It's musical and natural sounding with loads of power. NOTE: This is with a high quality ultra low noise Linear power supply of 1.5A instead of the 1A switching supply. The original switching supply can't keep up with the 600ohms to be fair. Lacking bass mostly and refinement.

The DAC is fine! To my sadness I don't have any DAC to A/B compare it to other than my onboard ES9018K2M since all my other DACs have left life in the past year. A bit unlucky. So no A/B comparison other than saying it's WAY better than the onboard ES9018K2M in my laptop haha. Which is super muffled in the highs and veiled.

My observations about the DAC are simple. It's transparant. It's musically pleasing. Naturally sounding. I'm loving it so far. I do look forward to an A/B comparison with the D50 ESS counterpart. Once I do, I'll surely post my findings here.
WeChat Image_20181217005646.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #55 of 160
I agree with getting the DX3 Pro but get a LPS with it! It does make a difference. With the LPS the DAC and amp are super capable! It's looking for marignal improvement listening to my highly tuned lehman. That's has to count for something.

And yes the DAC is fine too! But if you like the ESS sound. The D30 might be worth considering. But if you ask me, the DX3 made these older devices obsolete. Also feature wise.

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #57 of 160
Mine has no clicking. Great spot. Mine came with 1.03 and indeed now I think of it there was an occasional tick in the sound. I thought it was the recording... Thanks! I'll give it a spin.

UPDATE: I already had 1.04 installed from the shop :D

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #59 of 160
I wanted to add a followup to my faulty unit, which had destroyed two cheap headphones (with mics), where Topping offered a new unit to me at Xmas. This new unit has arrived today (it's warming up in ambient .. don't want to start an icecold unit). Service from topping in this my case was good as I had proper email comm with them and received my replacement. Contrary to earlier statements, they would like the defect unit back now for analysis, which I wnated to do anyway, as I am curious to know what was wrong as well ... trying to figure out the cheapest way to get something to China from here now (which so far are all expensive up to very expensive), but Topping also offered to refund this transfer by paypal. If everybody gets this kind of service from topping, I would call their service side very nice.

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #60 of 160
@voon .. Thanks for posting your experience with Topping. I am considering buying the DX3Pro, but posts on another forum regarding faulty amp module had me scared .. now I am little bit pacified that Topping will indeed take care of its customers. Now the only concern is the shipping back to China & the costs involved with it and the wait time if something goes wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back