TOPPING DX3 Pro
Jan 3, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #62 of 160
Hmm... I have used TRRS connectors with no issues, both on headphones and iems.

And the firmware update fixed the clicking, so I'm very happy with this unit in the end.

Jan 3, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #63 of 160
Hmm... I have used TRRS connectors with no issues, both on headphones and iems.
The issue @voon was experiencing was incidental to the TRRS configuration. He measured over 8 VDC offset on one channel, which will overheat most voice coils.
The TRRS plug should not be harmful to the DX3Pro, since it doesn't short out any part of the amp. The big issue is TRS plugs that are inserted into TRRS receptacles.

Jan 3, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #64 of 160
When not plugged in correctly and given the miniature construction there can happen all sort of things.
Usually there dos not occur any harm, but "usually" does not help here.

I really admire Toppic's pro-active response to trace it down and get this issue out of the way once and forever.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #65 of 160
I’ve just ordered this DAC and I should receive it in a few weeks. I have some questions:

1. Is it possible to disable the Bluetooth radios as I won’t be using Bluetooth?

2. If I need to update the firmware (I read about a clicking issue) then does this have to be done on a windows PC or can I update the firmware on a Mac?

3. I see from pictures that the power supply is 15V. Has anyone used a linear power supply and noticed an improvement in the sound?

Jan 11, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #66 of 160
I received my Topping DX3 Pro today. I powered up my Windows PC (I use a Mac day-to-day) just to run the firmware update utility. My DX3 Pro already had the latest firmware but I flashed it anyway just to go through the process and it took seconds. I haven't listened to it yet.

The remote requires a CR2032 and I didn't have one at home so I've have to order a battery. Initial thoughts on the look and feel compared to my Topping D50: it's slightly larger in terms of footprint. However, it doesn't feel as solid. The case seems to be pressed steel, whereas the Topping D50 case is machined aluminium, which feels more premium. I like the display on the DX3 Pro as it's a lot clearer than the tiny display of the D50.

In the next couple of days I'll be wiring it into my headphones HiFi system as I specifically want to see how the sound compares to the Topping D50. I bought the DX3 for its AKM DACs to see how they sound compared to the ESS DACs in the D50.

To answer my own questions in my previous post:

1. Not sure if the Bluetooth radios can be disabled yet;

2. The firmware update program requires a Windows PC (although my unit already had V1.04 of the firmware;

3. I have a linear power supply rated at 15V 1.5A on order which should be here in the next 2-3 weeks so I can report back on whether or not it improves the sound quality.

One thing I have to mention is that the Topping site is one if the worst that I've ever come across! It is hardly ever reachable. For anyone who wants to download drivers, firmware or manuals, it's this site here:

http://en.tpdz.net/support.html

Good luck if you can get to it!

Jan 11, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #67 of 160
Got my DX3 Pro for about 3 days now. Got it for €140 in China during 12.12 on Taobao. haha A PROPER bargain. I'm gunning for the D50 at the same price at 1.1.

I have to Say I'm quite impressed with the little unit! It's even driving my 600 ohm Beyers dynamics pretty decently!!! When I do A/B comparison with my highly customised Lehman it's maybe not as tight or refined in the details but this is really marginal! Nothing lacking in power and also about clarity or transparency I have nothing to write bad about. It's musical and natural sounding with loads of power. NOTE: This is with a high quality ultra low noise Linear power supply of 1.5A instead of the 1A switching supply. The original switching supply can't keep up with the 600ohms to be fair. Lacking bass mostly and refinement.

The DAC is fine! To my sadness I don't have any DAC to A/B compare it to other than my onboard ES9018K2M since all my other DACs have left life in the past year. A bit unlucky. So no A/B comparison other than saying it's WAY better than the onboard ES9018K2M in my laptop haha. Which is super muffled in the highs and veiled.

My observations about the DAC are simple. It's transparant. It's musically pleasing. Naturally sounding. I'm loving it so far. I do look forward to an A/B comparison with the D50 ESS counterpart. Once I do, I'll surely post my findings here.

I've just noticed the LPS you're using with your DX3 Pro - that's the same one I have on order. I already have an LPS with my Topping D50 so will be able to do a comparison between the two DACs soon.

Jan 11, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #68 of 160
Thanks for sharing.
You supplied the DAC with 15V LPS instead of the original 18V?

I have no clue what you are talking about. Its standard supply is 15V/1A..

Maybe read the specsheet ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190112-101057.jpg
    Screenshot_20190112-101057.jpg
    700.1 KB · Views: 0
Jan 12, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #70 of 160
I got my CR2032 battery today so I could power the remote. The remote for the DX3 Pro is quite necessary for ease of use. You could control everything from the multi-function button on the DX3 Pro itself but it's going to be a world of pain. I'm wondering whether it's possible to buy the remote control separately as I wouldn't mind having a couple of spare ones?

Anyway, in preparation for some extended listening I've set the DX3 Pro up in my bedside headphones system, swapping out my Topping D50. Setup is:

Bluesound Node 2i (streaming Tidal HiFi) > Topping DX3 Pro (via coax) > Arcam rHead headphone amplifier > beyerdynamic Amiron Home over-ear headphones.

The DX3 Pro is powered using its supplied 15V 1A power supply, although I do have on order a 15V 1.5A linear power supply that I'm hoping will make an incremental improvement in the sound.

Configuration of the DX3 Pro is:
  • Input signal: Coax
  • Output setting: DAC
  • PCM filter setting: F-3 (default)
  • Screen brightness: L-1 (low)
  • Auto power: A-0 (On - deafult)
  • Headphone amp gain: 0dB (although this will not be used as the DX3 Pro is in DAC mode)
Interconnects:

Network streamer > Topping DX3 Pro: QED Reference Digital Audio 40 w/ Digiloc RCA Plugs 0.6m
Topping DX3 Pro > Arcam rHead headphone amplifier: QED Performance Graphite Audio Phono / RCA Cable 0.6m

Initial thoughts, and comparing the sound to the Topping D50 that I've listened to for a few hours per day over several weeks: the sound is slightly warmer. It seems a touch more musical and, therefore, enjoyable. The output on the RCA analogue jacks might be slightly lower compared to the Topping D50 as I had to turn the volume control on my headphone amp up slightly more.

Playing some very familiar songs, the vocals grabbed me even more than with the Topping D50. The nuances in a singer's voice were slightly more noticeable. Bass was pretty much the same as the Topping D50. As for the treble notes, I'll have to listen more to see if I can spot a difference. These are just initial impressions from powering the DX3 Pro on for the first time and listening for about an hour.

It all looks very positive.

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #71 of 160
Taz, where did you order the 15V 1.5A linear power supply, please?

My co-worker got a DX3 Pro, I used my Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 Ohm on it and I really enjoyed it. It really got them loud with the stock adapter, uncomfortably loud at -5db. But still for the future, if I buy one too, I'd like the 1.5A adapter.

Jan 13, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #72 of 160
I got my CR2032 battery today so I could power the remote. The remote for the DX3 Pro is quite necessary for ease of use. You could control everything from the multi-function button on the DX3 Pro itself but it's going to be a world of pain. I'm wondering whether it's possible to buy the remote control separately as I wouldn't mind having a couple of spare ones?

Anyway, in preparation for some extended listening I've set the DX3 Pro up in my bedside headphones system, swapping out my Topping D50. Setup is:

Bluesound Node 2i (streaming Tidal HiFi) > Topping DX3 Pro (via coax) > Arcam rHead headphone amplifier > beyerdynamic Amiron Home over-ear headphones.

The DX3 Pro is powered using its supplied 15V 1A power supply, although I do have on order a 15V 1.5A linear power supply that I'm hoping will make an incremental improvement in the sound.

Configuration of the DX3 Pro is:
  • Input signal: Coax
  • Output setting: DAC
  • PCM filter setting: F-3 (default)
  • Screen brightness: L-1 (low)
  • Auto power: A-0 (On - deafult)
  • Headphone amp gain: 0dB (although this will not be used as the DX3 Pro is in DAC mode)
Interconnects:

Network streamer > Topping DX3 Pro: QED Reference Digital Audio 40 w/ Digiloc RCA Plugs 0.6m
Topping DX3 Pro > Arcam rHead headphone amplifier: QED Performance Graphite Audio Phono / RCA Cable 0.6m

Initial thoughts, and comparing the sound to the Topping D50 that I've listened to for a few hours per day over several weeks: the sound is slightly warmer. It seems a touch more musical and, therefore, enjoyable. The output on the RCA analogue jacks might be slightly lower compared to the Topping D50 as I had to turn the volume control on my headphone amp up slightly more.

Playing some very familiar songs, the vocals grabbed me even more than with the Topping D50. The nuances in a singer's voice were slightly more noticeable. Bass was pretty much the same as the Topping D50. As for the treble notes, I'll have to listen more to see if I can spot a difference. These are just initial impressions from powering the DX3 Pro on for the first time and listening for about an hour.

It all looks very positive.

That's pretty good news! I thought the D50 might have a better DAC circuit.. So I was tempting to buy it and test it against the DX3 Pro but seems there is no need for that haha. So far I don't really use the Headphones out since I have my Lehman with Burson V6 hanging behind it to drive my monitors and headphone. but I the LPS definitely improved the headphone amp in the lower frequencies. I heard no noticeable difference when using DAC only.

Jan 13, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #73 of 160
Taz, where did you order the 15V 1.5A linear power supply, please?

My co-worker got a DX3 Pro, I used my Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 Ohm on it and I really enjoyed it. It really got them loud with the stock adapter, uncomfortably loud at -5db. But still for the future, if I buy one too, I'd like the 1.5A adapter.

From here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271905173892

If you want to hang on for 1-2 weeks I can report back to say whether it improved the sound or not.

Jan 13, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #74 of 160
That's pretty good news! I thought the D50 might have a better DAC circuit.. So I was tempting to buy it and test it against the DX3 Pro but seems there is no need for that haha. So far I don't really use the Headphones out since I have my Lehman with Burson V6 hanging behind it to drive my monitors and headphone. but I the LPS definitely improved the headphone amp in the lower frequencies. I heard no noticeable difference when using DAC only.

I'm really not sure which is better after more listening today.

The Topping D50 was more 'airy', had more detail and had a much bigger soundstage than the DX3 Pro. I was able to place instruments more accurately with the D50. The DX3 Pro sounds a bit more compressed but is a little more musical. It is able to bring the entire composition together better than the D50.

You still may want to try the D50 as you may prefer its sound.

It's a different sound. The D50 was with an LPS so I need to wait to get my LPS for the DX3 Pro before I can do a more fair comparison. Also, the D50 had a few months of use and the DX3 Pro has only one day of use so I need to burn it in sufficiently.

I will need another couple of weeks to decide which one I keep in my headphones system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back