Topping D90
Nov 17, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #661 of 1,101
Yes, I've read through and have downloaded (I had the drivers) the new firmware but when I open the file it gives me an error msg.
[/QUOTE
Yes, I've read through and have downloaded (I had the drivers) the new firmware but when I open the file it gives me an error msg.
What exactly does the error message say?
Hope you have kept your D90 MQA connected while doing this.

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #662 of 1,101
What exactly does the error message say?
Hope you have kept your D90 MQA connected while doing this.
Sorry to taking so long to get back. Yes the D90 is connected... When I try to open the exe. file it says: "Failed to open application configuration file"

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #663 of 1,101
Sorry to taking so long to get back. Yes the D90 is connected... When I try to open the exe. file it says: "Failed to open application configuration file"
As far as I know, this error pops up when you try to run firmware update app file when you still have not connected your D90 MQA to PC via USB cable. Other reason may be, your USB port on PC is not connecting to your D90 MQA. Try these simple steps in sequence.
1. Connect your PC to D90 MQA via USB cable(Try using different PC USB port this time).
2. Switch on your D90
3. Try running firmware update file.

This should solve the problem. If it still doesn't work then it might be some other problem. Hope it helps.
Good luck!

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #664 of 1,101
As far as I know, this error pops up when you try to run firmware update app file when you still have not connected your D90 MQA to PC via USB cable. Other reason may be, your USB port on PC is not connecting to your D90 MQA. Try these simple steps in sequence.
1. Connect your PC to D90 MQA via USB cable(Try using different PC USB port this time).
2. Switch on your D90
3. Try running firmware update file.

This should solve the problem. If it still doesn't work then it might be some other problem. Hope it helps.
Good luck!
The same detailed steps are given in 'Readme.txt' file inside firmware download folder.

Nov 19, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #665 of 1,101
I'll try again tonight. I can access the D90's software on my computer, I've changed usb inputs, the computer is "seeing" the D90. I'll try and shut down and restart in the order tonight.

Nov 19, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #666 of 1,101
Re: D90 MQA version --

may i clarify please that in order to get the FULL benefit of MQA full unfolding done via hardware inside the D90 MQA, is it true that one MUST use the USB as the input (and no other inputs)? i.e. use our PC's usb output and plug it into the USB input of the D90 MQA?

if one were to use ANY other inputs, the MQA unfolding would not be done in full.

that would mean:

Windows 10 PC USB output into
USB input of D90 MQA
is the ONLY option if one wants full MQA benefits.

may i ask if my understanding is correct? thank you.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #667 of 1,101
Nice review! I would say the Bluetooth installed in this dac will come in handy when you want a quick connection between your smartphone/tablet to speakers/headphones without Bluetooth connectivity. Bluetooth connection might not provide as good sound quality as "cabled" connection, but convenience is the point.

Nov 20, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #668 of 1,101
Re: D90 MQA version --

may i clarify please that in order to get the FULL benefit of MQA full unfolding done via hardware inside the D90 MQA, is it true that one MUST use the USB as the input (and no other inputs)? i.e. use our PC's usb output and plug it into the USB input of the D90 MQA?

if one were to use ANY other inputs, the MQA unfolding would not be done in full.

that would mean:

Windows 10 PC USB output into
USB input of D90 MQA
is the ONLY option if one wants full MQA benefits.

may i ask if my understanding is correct? thank you.
Partially correct,, because your understanding is an understatement. MQA decoding on the D90 MQA is done through the USB input and only the USB; if any other input is used, there is no MQA decoding at all. (For example, if you used Tidal through a non-USB input, you would have to set Tidal to decode MQA via its software.)

Nov 21, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #669 of 1,101
Partially correct,, because your understanding is an understatement. MQA decoding on the D90 MQA is done through the USB input and only the USB; if any other input is used, there is no MQA decoding at all. (For example, if you used Tidal through a non-USB input, you would have to set Tidal to decode MQA via its software.)

While i'm a long time audiophile, i'm new to this Windows 10 usb output to external DAC and installing audio USB driver situation.

I have the Astell and Kern Kann Alpha and the Empyreans now and am happy with the combination, but as i'm at my home computer desk from 3 to 8 hours each day, i am seriously considering the D90+A90 for my computer desk (ability to navigate using the Windows 10 Tidal app via my desktop PC's generously sized monitor, no need to recharge, etc.).

i do have concerns about how to install the USB drivers properly to avoid issues, as well as how to set my Windows 10 pc tower to the proper/ideal bit rate and kHz settings, etc., in order to get optimal results.

i would be most grateful if there is someone who has gone through this process successfully and know how to make Windows 10 audio settings optimal for the D90/A90 who might be willing to talk to me on the phone in case something were to come up that i don't understand or can't resolve. it would help make me feel more confident about buying the D90/A90, as i've read that while the hardware is good, there is a steep learning curve on how to use the products, which is strange because one would think that they would have good manuals, but they are very simple manuals and don't really give sufficient details.

may i please ask the good folks here to see if someone might be so kind as to be willing to talk to me should something come up with my setting up the D90/A90? i'm located on the east coast, US, so Eastern time zone.

thank you so much in advance. please feel free to private message me.

Nov 21, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #670 of 1,101
i do have concerns about how to install the USB drivers properly to avoid issues, as well as how to set my Windows 10 pc tower to the proper/ideal bit rate and kHz settings, etc., in order to get optimal results.
You are right. This is a concern, as for the best SQ you should rather prevent Windows from changing sample rate in first place. This is not only valid for D90, but any other DAC. However I am not going to elaborate it further in this place as for a lower price you can get superior Audio GD R28 DAC/HPA combo or for 1/4 price Audio GD R2R11 that sounds completely different, do your research. :)

And MQA is a cheat on the user and rip off the artist and the entire music supply chain.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #671 of 1,101
which filters are you guys using with your D90? I am trying to decide between 3 and 4...any tips or suggestions?

Nov 30, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #672 of 1,101
may i please ask the good folks here to see if someone might be so kind as to be willing to talk to me should something come up with my setting up the D90/A90? i'm located on the east coast, US, so Eastern time zone.

thank you so much in advance. please feel free to private message me.

regardless of what dac you use, do this with your windows first.

https://solidstatelogic.zendesk.com...usive-mode-in-Windows-Audio-Playback-Devices-

and, if you use USB to connect PC to dac, i highly recommend getting D90 MQA even if you don't have MQA sources. the MQA version has a better USB chip than the non MQA version.

personally, i couldn't hear the diff between Tidal MQA tracks and non MQA tracks. but, I do hear a big difference between the two D90s.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #673 of 1,101
which filters are you guys using with your D90? I am trying to decide between 3 and 4...any tips or suggestions?

depends on the music but I believe usually between 3-4 if memory serves me correctly.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Nov 30, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #674 of 1,101
regardless of what dac you use, do this with your windows first.

https://solidstatelogic.zendesk.com...usive-mode-in-Windows-Audio-Playback-Devices-

and, if you use USB to connect PC to dac, i highly recommend getting D90 MQA even if you don't have MQA sources. the MQA version has a better USB chip than the non MQA version.

personally, i couldn't hear the diff between Tidal MQA tracks and non MQA tracks. but, I do hear a big difference between the two D90s.

thank you kindly for your link and advice.

i'm tempted to go the route of the Matrix Mini-i Pro 3. this new "pro" version of the "3" has everything that i was looking for:

MQA, ES9038 (though not the PRO version of the 9038 chip), headphone amp with sufficient output for my Meze Empyreans, etc.

in addition, there's the added benefit that it is a streaming device to boot: i have the option of using Wifi, ethernet (most likely), or via USB through my PC.

have you looked into this device, may i ask?

Nov 30, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #675 of 1,101
thank you kindly for your link and advice.

i'm tempted to go the route of the Matrix Mini-i Pro 3. this new "pro" version of the "3" has everything that i was looking for:

MQA, ES9038 (though not the PRO version of the 9038 chip), headphone amp with sufficient output for my Meze Empyreans, etc.

in addition, there's the added benefit that it is a streaming device to boot: i have the option of using Wifi, ethernet (most likely), or via USB through my PC.

have you looked into this device, may i ask?

I do have two matrix products (H card, X-SPDIF) but not used their other stuff. I am allergic to Sabre. you can also pair the D90 with A90. I currently pair D90 with LTA MZ2 but mainly in two channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back