Topping D90
Nov 30, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #676 of 1,101
I do have two matrix products (H card, X-SPDIF) but not used their other stuff. I am allergic to Sabre. you can also pair the D90 with A90. I currently pair D90 with LTA MZ2 but mainly in two channel.

@viggen: thanks for your reply.

yes, i can pair the D90+A90, however, that does NOT include the streaming functionality.

this Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 includes a streamer (wifi or ethernet), plus D90 and A90's functionalities.

Btw, does the Element H really work? it seems very snail oil-like to me. i don't see what real world benefits that USB card can add. may i ask if i'm wrong please? thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #677 of 1,101
@viggen: thanks for your reply.

yes, i can pair the D90+A90, however, that does NOT include the streaming functionality.

this Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 includes a streamer (wifi or ethernet), plus D90 and A90's functionalities.

true. i thought you already have a pc.

yes H card really works. i also power it externally with ifi ipower 5v ac adapter.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #678 of 1,101
true. i thought you already have a pc.

i do have a desktop windows 10 pc, and i'll put the device right under my monitor, however, there's a practical consideration that i can't get around:

the USB-C cable that the Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 requires to connect to a PC isn't long enough to connect to the back of my pc. i can't find a workaround.

the only option is to connect the Mini-i Pro 3 directly to the internet via ethernet and use the Windows 10 Tidal app and control it that way -- i think.

any ideas, thoughts, advice, please? thanks.

Nov 30, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #679 of 1,101
i do have a desktop windows 10 pc, and i'll put the device right under my monitor, however, there's a practical consideration that i can't get around:

the USB-C cable that the Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 requires to connect to a PC isn't long enough to connect to the back of my pc. i can't find a workaround.

the only option is to connect the Mini-i Pro 3 directly to the internet via ethernet and use the Windows 10 Tidal app and control it that way -- i think.

any ideas, thoughts, advice, please? thanks.

i've never used a streamer before and always shy away from it thinking i am over paying for a nuc or rasberry pi and is more for convenience. i thought you don't need pc if you have streamer. you just need rj45 from router or wifi and control it with an android app assuming the streamer has an app and you have an android or apple device.

Dec 1, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #680 of 1,101
i've never used a streamer before and always shy away from it thinking i am over paying for a nuc or rasberry pi and is more for convenience. i thought you don't need pc if you have streamer. you just need rj45 from router or wifi and control it with an android app assuming the streamer has an app and you have an android or apple device.

well, one may also think of a streaming device as having some collateral benefits:

- one need not add any load for one's PC to be running a background app, i.e. Tidal streaming in the background whenever one's listening

- using Tidal's app, they now have Tidal Connect. i can't figure out what is the benefit but they claim it is a more direct connection, i.e. bypassing some internal components. no matter how many times i read about it, i still find it to be mumble jumble.

- it solves my USB-C cable not-long-enough problem. i can't find a USB-C cable that's required to connect this device to my PC's rear connectors that is sufficiently long, unfortunately, so a direct ethernet connection, or via wifi, would be the two Plan B options.

i was hoping that you'd have some idea for finding a sufficiently long USB cable, i.e. a USB-C to USB-A cable that would work.

apparently, as per one user, he said that one must NOT "...use a 3-amp fast charging USB-C cable because it's not compatible...due to the charging chip integrated in the connector..."

this is very odd and curious to me, as it would seem like a major "do NOT do" item that the manufacturer should have prominently written about in their manual.

it's quirky and a relatively unknown quirk as well, who knew about this? what exact type of USB-C cable IS ok then? bizarre.

"Gianluca S. Verified Buyer

SEP 22, 2020

English:
Hi, first experience with Matrix Audio and I believe I am also the first in the world to review the Mini-I Pro 3 received two days ago. No chatter and let's pay attention to the point. The Mini-I Pro 3 looks like a solid product, well built, with an anti-interference aluminum body. The high definition display is a feast for the eyes, practically perfect. The entrances are the usual. No installation and use problems via USB port by downloading the relative drivers for Win10. Warning! Do not absolutely use a 3A fast charging usb C cable because it is not compatible due to the charging chip integrated in the connector; use a normal USB C cable. The sound emitted from the speakers connected via xlr is linear, very precise, balanced, powerful, clean and realistic. There is no gain on the speakers but the power is enough; +18 the gain on the single ended headphone input and +24 on the balanced input guarantee perfect sound for headphones up to 300ohm. Unfortunately, no integration with proprietary apps such as MA remote control, but you can do without it. There is no DLNA, probably in the future there will be an update that will allow it but it is not safe. Seamless integration with Roon via Ethernet, also the best way to use the Matrix, even if the product has not yet been certified but will soon be. An easy and intuitive menu allows, by pressing the rear button, to easily interact with the unit, for example by inserting the dac mode at fixed volume or variable volume preamp, while pressing the volume knob, very solid and well built, you can change between the inputs. Excellent wifi-bluetooth reception (no need for stupid and unsightly antennas) and no interference in the sound. In the integration with Roon I was able to see how the Matrix does not update the display of radio stations, especially the title and author that are listened to at the moment (the station logo is updated), a problem that will probably be solved in the future with constant updates. that the unit will receive. The management of MQAs is perfect, making the Mini-I Pro 3 a reference full decoder. DSD management is also excellent. No popping or latency issues, the unit is extremely accurate; I really believe that the integration between the DAC chip and the clock is a perfect alchemy. The standard remote control is well built and very solid, the quality is evident. Soon I think we may also have the official SINAD measures which I am sure will not disappoint. What can I say, as an all in one DAC streamer it is probably one of the best I have ever tried and I highly recommend it especially in terms of value for money as it is also extremely small and can be placed anywhere. At the moment I don't think there is a unit like this on the market that has this versatility and this quality at this price. Then the updates and the continuous care that Matrix reserves for its products are a guarantee. I reserve the right to update the review as soon as possible with new news."

https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...uetooth-decoder-banlanced-headphone-amplifier

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #681 of 1,101
well, one may also think of a streaming device as having some collateral benefits:

- one need not add any load for one's PC to be running a background app, i.e. Tidal streaming in the background whenever one's listening

- using Tidal's app, they now have Tidal Connect. i can't figure out what is the benefit but they claim it is a more direct connection, i.e. bypassing some internal components. no matter how many times i read about it, i still find it to be mumble jumble.

- it solves my USB-C cable not-long-enough problem. i can't find a USB-C cable that's required to connect this device to my PC's rear connectors that is sufficiently long, unfortunately, so a direct ethernet connection, or via wifi, would be the two Plan B options.

i was hoping that you'd have some idea for finding a sufficiently long USB cable, i.e. a USB-C to USB-A cable that would work.

apparently, as per one user, he said that one must NOT "...use a 3-amp fast charging USB-C cable because it's not compatible...due to the charging chip integrated in the connector..."

well you can always use a wireless mouse to control tidal on your pc. you can't use tidal connect unless you have a device that has tidal connect functionality. last time i checked the list, it was pretty thin. https://tidal.com/supported-devices i don't think matrix is on the list. however, mobile OS is on the list. https://tidal.com/supported-devices?category=mobile edit oops you can't use this method yet:

Can I play music on my desktop app from my mobile app?
At the moment, you can’t control your desktop app, but this feature is coming soon!

about USB C, you have regular ones 3.1 or 3.2 designed for data and video transfer. and, you have 3a and 5a designed for charging phones. just make sure the cable you get doesn't have 3a or 5a in the description and think you should be fine. basically, any regular USB cable with a C connection. or, just use your regular USB A with a C adapter https://www.amazon.com/nonda-Adapte...c+adapter&qid=1606805063&s=electronics&sr=1-2.

this is very odd and curious to me, as it would seem like a major "do NOT do" item that the manufacturer should have prominently written about in their manual.

it's quirky and a relatively unknown quirk as well, who knew about this? what exact type of USB-C cable IS ok then? bizarre.

i guess audio designers don't pay attention to phone charger cables.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #683 of 1,101
If I may ask, have you tried any other charger against iPower?
nope. the H card has switch for external or internal power. so, before I got the ipower adapter, I was using internal power from mb.

Dec 17, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #686 of 1,101
Is there a way to increase the volume level on D90 itself? I tried to increase using the remote but I could only go -0.0db or go lower but not higher. Is there a way?

I don't think there is. I have a Topping D50 too and that's the same: highest level is 0.0dB. It kind of makes sense though. I haven't gone through all of the menus on the D90 to see if there is a way to increase the output level beyond 0dB.

Dec 17, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #687 of 1,101
I don't think there is. I have a Topping D50 too and that's the same: highest level is 0.0dB. It kind of makes sense though. I haven't gone through all of the menus on the D90 to see if there is a way to increase the output level beyond 0dB.

Topping stated there is not a way to increase the volume on D90. Needs A90 amp to do so. I just ordered one but any connecting amp to D90. Will there be much improvement other than having more outputs?

Dec 17, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #688 of 1,101
Has anyone used Pink Faun PCIE I2S connection to feed D90/D90 MQA? What other methods are available/compatible for D90 I2S input?

Dec 17, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #689 of 1,101
Is there a way to increase the volume level on D90 itself? I tried to increase using the remote but I could only go -0.0db or go lower but not higher. Is there a way?
maybe use xlr output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back