Topping D90
Jun 17, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #796 of 1,101
I just bought a DAC that measures horribly. Will receive it in a few days.

BTW, when I first got the D90, I loved it from the first time I clicked play. As time went on, I found the soundstage a bit narrow. I got Singxer SU2 between PC and DAC, and soundstage, air all increased. Last week, I repurposed a LPSU to power the Matrix H Element PCIE card replacing an ifi iPower. The D90 now doesn't need the SU2 and sounds marvelous.
Which DAC did you get? Please post your experience after breaking it in. I am returning an old school April Eximus DP1 due to faulty volume control. My choices are to purchase the same unit from a different vendor or to purchase something else. I am looking at the Topping D90SE which was recently released to rave reviews from ASR and Soundnews. Decisions decisions decisions.

Jun 17, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #797 of 1,101
Which DAC did you get? Please post your experience after breaking it in. I am returning an old school April Eximus DP1 due to faulty volume control. My choices are to purchase the same unit from a different vendor or to purchase something else.
Why Delta-Sigma? Modern R2R is gaining popularity. You can start from Bifrost 2, Ares II, or something not advertised (which usually means a better value to the user). This is not an exception. Or a similar with a very good headphone amplifier. There is a new appointed US dealer. I own a little brother R2R-11, currently difficult to find, as it had been discontinued two months ago. Highly recommended, the worst measuring ever. :)

If you insist in DS stuff, there is NFB-11-28, get one with Accusilicon clocks $390.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #798 of 1,101
Jun 17, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #799 of 1,101
Which DAC did you get? Please post your experience after breaking it in. I am returning an old school April Eximus DP1 due to faulty volume control. My choices are to purchase the same unit from a different vendor or to purchase something else. I am looking at the Topping D90SE which was recently released to rave reviews from ASR and Soundnews. Decisions decisions decisions.
Border Patrol SE-i

Jun 17, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #800 of 1,101
Before I bought my D90 (non MQA) I read an Amazon review (from an educated person who knew what they were talking about). I get the feeling it might even be one of the members here based on what they said. They said adding the Singxer SU2 made a big difference for them. I don't doubt it but here is my question. Most of you guys use a computer for your listening. Will the SU2 make as big of a difference for those of us who listen via OTG on an Android device? For all I know maybe it makes an even bigger difference. Just like to know before I spend the money. And is the SU2 the one you guys would recommend? I should mention that I put my Android phone in airplane mode to deactivate all the crap going on in the background

Jun 17, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #801 of 1,101
Before I bought my D90 (non MQA) I read an Amazon review (from an educated person who knew what they were talking about)...
I agree that etane fellow is a smart guy

Jun 17, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #802 of 1,101
No experience with the su-2, but I really enjoy the su-6 with the d90, as disproportionate as that seems. Bought the su-6 on a whim to try the i2s input half expecting to return it, and was annoyed in a good way when I couldn't send it back

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #803 of 1,101
Just like to know before I spend the money. And is the SU2 the one you guys would recommend? I should mention that I put my Android phone in airplane mode to deactivate all the crap going on in the background
You should just buy it from Apos. They claim 45 day return policy but I just got dinged by this policy. The fine print indicates 7 day full return, 8-45 days is 80% return (20% restocking). I tried to return on the 25th day. So, be sure to return it within a week if you don't like it.

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #804 of 1,101
You should just buy it from Apos. They claim 45 day return policy but I just got dinged by this policy. The fine print indicates 7 day full return, 8-45 days is 80% return (20% restocking). I tried to return on the 25th day. So, be sure to return it within a week if you don't like it.
Thanks for the heads up on that return policy. For the time being however I also need to figure out if that's the one I really want. I see there's Denafrips and a couple of others out there. I'm trying to limit to one purchase per month so I probably won't be buying for three or four weeks anyway. I wonder if Topping is working on one?

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #805 of 1,101
Most of you guys use a computer for your listening. Will the SU2 make as big of a difference for those of us who listen via OTG on an Android device? For all I know maybe it makes an even bigger difference. Just like to know before I spend the money.
My experience with Android devices is mixed. On one side it is a way to avoid ground loops coming from PC, but there are limitations in the Android USB implementation forcing resampling on the phone. Only few payware apps will bypas system mixer and play in a native sample rate. I would typically recommend Audio GD DI-20, but in this case a DDC that does reclocking all the time (most of DDC's) might serve you better. This is not a recommended solution, as sound is already degraded. I would rather look for a quality DAP, these devices have a modified USB stack, dedicated for music playback. With a quality DAP as a source your friends would perhaps change their minds regarding whether DDC helps at all. An alternative is a network streamer, but is not free of ground loops, the same Rpi4.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #806 of 1,101
My experience with Android devices is mixed. On one side it is a way to avoid ground loops coming from PC, but there are limitations in the Android USB implementation forcing resampling on the phone. Only few payware apps will bypas system mixer and play in a native sample rate. I would typically recommend Audio GD DI-20, but in this case a DDC that does reclocking all the time (most of DDC's) might serve you better. This is not a recommended solution, as sound is already degraded. I would rather look for a quality DAP, these devices have a modified USB stack, dedicated for music playback. With a quality DAP as a source your friends would perhaps change their minds regarding whether DDC helps at all. An alternative is a network streamer, but is not free of ground loops, the same Rpi4.
Thanks. I haven't ruled out a DAP in the future but for now I do use UAPP with my Android (in airplane mode as I stated previously) and it will do all of the resolutions that I need. 192/24 is what I get from Amazon HD. It uses UAPP in the background. If I do get a DAP and I'm only using it as a digital source, maybe I don't need a really expensive one to get great results

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #808 of 1,101
Well that's quite crazy. I have been hearing things of this sort recently about ASR. It appears to be true. I don't think you are misstating the views of many on ASR. However, if something tests perfectly but sounds awful, would you buy it? Of course not. I would say that this is unbelievable except that I know quite a few left-brained people: their left brain is left brained and their right brain is left brained as well. This is what happens when you are truly pedantic with no other considerations.

How can all DACs sounds the same? That is patently absurd. Now, what if you have 2 DACs that sound the same? I think that using really technical data and distortion information to make a choice. That seems logical to me. Data is just like any other tool use it wisely.

I was quite surprised to learn that both CDs and vinyl introduce distortions into the music. However, most humans generally prefer vinyl distortions. Call me crazy. The fact that ASR indirectly forced Schiit to change their designs is just insane but stranger things have happened. People (and companies) will do anything for money. Heresy. Ha! I love it.

I found head-fi.org by doing a search for Eximus DP1 and Mytek Brooklyn. Sure enough there was a HF (probably called fi here) user who had both DACs. His experience tipped me in favor of the DP1. Before my reaching out, I would have gone for the Brooklyn.

Thank you for your post. It quite illuminating. I will never look at ASR quite same.
Perhaps you should actually go to ASR and learn about the site, Amir and the many engineers, equipment designers and audio enthusiasts who post there before passing judgement. Once you can discern between 2 similar measuring DACS in a blind test post your results and then your claims will carry some weight.

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #809 of 1,101
DACs don't "break in".

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #810 of 1,101
Do you think ASR is getting paid for reviews? Why would a site like that eschew clarity. Are you say that a unit was reviewed by ASR with quality parts, you ordered based on ASR's review, and in the interim Topping changed components to cheap crap?!? Again, just because something tests well doesn't mean it will sound good. Interesting. I have learned quite a bit today.
Not sure why you believe such BS. You clearly have learned nothing re: ASR or Topping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back