Topping D30 DSD DAC XMOS/CS4398
Feb 2, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #64 of 512
In speaking with someone that knows more than I do about electronics, I got the following regarding the 9v r-core transformer from ebay:

"That transformer has two 9V AC output windings.  So you could either just use one of them, or place them in series to get 18V.  Each output is only capable of delivering half of the rated wattage.
The regulator board appears to contain a full-wave bridge rectifier made up of four discrete diodes.  So if you input 9V AC it should produce about 14V DC into the regulator, which should be more than enough for a regulated 9V DC output."

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #65 of 512
In speaking with someone that knows more than I do about electronics, I got the following regarding the 9v r-core transformer from ebay:

"That transformer has two 9V AC output windings.  So you could either just use one of them, or place them in series to get 18V.  Each output is only capable of delivering half of the rated wattage.
The regulator board appears to contain a full-wave bridge rectifier made up of four discrete diodes.  So if you input 9V AC it should produce about 14V DC into the regulator, which should be more than enough for a regulated 9V DC output."

Yep, definitely. You'll have a bit more heat from the regulator chip, but not that much more, on the order of a couple of watts, depending on your current draw. I don't think the voltage drop across the diodes is that much, more like 0.7V for each diode, totaling 1.4V so you should be putting 16.6V into the regulator. That why I asked you if you were building the supply for the D30, which takes 15V, and 16.6V would have been perfect. Anyway, enjoy your build. The worst part is waiting for the shipping from China.

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #66 of 512
I came across your review and while I know it pertains to the Topping DAC, what really got my attention was your gear; specifically the Fostex TH-500RP. I, too, have a set and they are, quite simply, sublime. I came across them by sheer fortune and impulse, and am quite certain it was fate. I endeavor to find better, and am willing to fork out the dough to do so, but understand at this frontier it becomes a much smaller measure of "better", one of only miniscule proportion. I seek discussion among others that have my same prejudices, so to speak. I don't have the most expensive setup, but I do not ascribe to the philosophy that throwing money in this endeavor does anymore than to feed one's ego. I am sure there are some that would think my setup to be quite expensive and othe's, not so much. It is largely relative and I don't wish to encourage the belief. Anyway, if you are open to it, I would invite some discourse to share our thought and opinion to find the holy grail. I am quite happy with my current setup, but if there is something truly better... I'm in.

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #67 of 512
I tend to agree with your philosophy.  I am a realist, and I know the limits of my hearing.  I also tend to suspect that after a certain price point, it's all marketing gimmick.  I've looked into the technical aspects of various trends with the latest being "balanced" DAC's, amps, and headphones, and came to the conclusion that for one to discern any appreciable difference, one must have superhuman hearing abilities.  To truly test audio, one must be ready to undergo double blind testing, but as I understand, that subject is an anathema here.  What embarrassment would it be to be unable to differentiate a $200 amplifier from a $2000 one!

The little D30 and the M8 DAC's are all that I need.  To tell the truth, I had tested the audio out from my main computer, which has a Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 motherboard with a small dedicated audio section, and I really cannot tell the difference between it and the 2 DAC's after running the signal through my main amplifier setup (Krell clone).  I have the 2 DAC's for their DSD decoding ability, but that is another subject.

To my ears, different headphones sound different.  My hearing adapts well, and I do not have a preferred sound signature, though I am slightly treble sensitive.  I have a modest collection, not because I am looking for "that" setup, but rather, I enjoy tinkering with gadgets.  I am currently playing with a pair of T50RP Mk3's, trying out different modifications, basically for fun.

Different people get into this hobby for different reasons.  My personal feeling is that if a person has the financial ability and the desire to acquire expensive gear, it is his/hers prerogative to do so if it makes him/her happy.  I think that's the gist of it, the pursuit of our own little brand of happiness.

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #68 of 512

​I tend to think it important when opening a dialogue, to seek those with similar philosophy. Not to encourage our own prejudice, but to rather to be able to have productive conversation. I am currently employing(home setup, I have different portable gear) a TEAC HA-501 headphone amp, TEAC UD-501 DAC, and aforementioned Fostex TH-500RP(also have TEAC AI-301DA amp and Polk RTi-A1 bookshelf speakers w/Polk PSW 108 sub). Both the HA and DAC employ dual monaural configurations w/separate toroidal-core power transformers for each channel, discrete Burr Brown PCM1975 D/AC per channel, TWO MUSE8920 OpAmps per channel, XLR output...

All this might just seem like a bunch of nice things thrown together just to satisfy those that seek such things. I've listened to other gear that use many of the same component. The engineering employed, however, enables the culmination of all these things(and I am an ardent supporter of the engineering/dual monaural et al) to give a refined sound that I have not found at any price. I have listened to systems that cost multiples of what I spent and have always been left wanting. I am speaking of the HO section and not the amp/speaker, though, it too, satisfies. I have always enjoyed a more visceral sound(bass), but this has changed the way I listen forever. I am thinking of purchasing the Fostex TH-900MKII, but that is a high cost indeed, and while I would do so, it would have to warrant the difference for me to spend that kind of money. It is difficult to imagine much more appreciable quality in sound. Different, no doubt, but better...

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #69 of 512
Hi,
i´m interrested at the Topping D30.
Before i buy him i want to know if somebody has tested:

xmos stereo usb audio class2 driver 2009 v3.34.0.​

Could i use this driver? Has anyone get him on run?
Sorry for my english  :)

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #70 of 512
​I tend to think it important...

It seems to me like that in pursuit of the perceived last 5% of sound quality, it is where the high endarket thrives. It will be wasted on me as I recognize the limits of my hearing. Now if one is able to truly enjoy the pricey gear and is able to perceive a true improvement, AND, is able to comfortably afford to do so, I would be the first to applaud him/her. What strikes me as silly is when one acquires gear because of the need to "keep up with the Jones", and overextend his/her ability.

My happiness level lies exactly where I am presently, and I consider myself lucky for it.

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #72 of 512
It seems to me like that in pursuit of the perceived last 5% of sound quality, it is where the high endarket thrives. It will be wasted on me as I recognize the limits of my hearing. Now if one is able to truly enjoy the pricey gear and is able to perceive a true improvement, AND, is able to comfortably afford to do so, I would be the first to applaud him/her. What strikes me as silly is when one acquires gear because of the need to "keep up with the Jones", and overextend his/her ability.

My happiness level lies exactly where I am presently, and I consider myself lucky for it.

​I am totally in agreement. I find much of it absurd(like$2000/ft speaker cable...) and wouldn't partake in such things even if I could afford such wealth. When I purchased the Fostex TH-500RP, it was a blind endeavor and a very happy one, but was only to try planar magnetic technology. I would be happy with my current setup with no changes to speak of, but I think of how elevated my listening became once I got them, and I am wondering if there is another level beyond the 5% you speak of. Honestly, I paid around $1800 total for the TEAC HA and DAC and Fostex, which I think crushes a lot of other far more expensive systems I have tried. I did get lucky with the Fostex and found them new for $299... and if one were so inclined, you could probably get the DAC and HA a few hundred cheaper. I see me using this setup for long into the future, maybe(quite probably) forever.

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #73 of 512
  Hi,
i´m interrested at the Topping D30.
Before i buy him i want to know if somebody has tested:

xmos stereo usb audio class2 driver 2009 v3.34.0.​

Could i use this driver? Has anyone get him on run?
Sorry for my english  :)

The only v3.34.0 driver I can find is from Fiio.  It appears to be customized by Fiio, and only works with Fiio products.  It worked fine with my X3II, but does not recognize the D30.  Like I had posted at the beginning, v3.20.0 works fine.  It does not interfere with the Fiio driver when installed simultaneously.

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #74 of 512
Hello drteming,
thank you for answering and testing!
Here´s the link for xmos v3.34.0:
http://jlsounds.com/drivers.html

I´ve sending you different versions of Xmos v3.34.0 over PN

It would be nice if you are testing if this/these driver is/are working with the D30!
Thanks a lot!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back