Topping D30 DSD DAC XMOS/CS4398
Mar 2, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #92 of 512

So how does it compare with the SMSL M8?

Well, the D30 doesn't have the OLED display showing the format, or the fancy filters (which I haven't really been able to reliably tell any difference), but the sound is comparable.  I find the M8 to be transparent, just like the D30.  If you already have a M8, there is no point in getting the D30.  But if you are looking for a DAC to start out that will handle DSD files, the Topping D30 is the deal of the century.

What are the downfalls?  Well, it doesn't support 32/382, DXD or DSD 256/512, but since I don't have any music in those formats, it's a moot point.

Interestingly, with my Windows 10 rig, I was able to plug it in, and because I had the driver for the M8 installed, the computer recognized immediately.  In fact, I didn't have to do anything to Foobar2000 since I already had it configured for the M8.  Makes sense since both DAC's use the XMOS interface.  The driver provided by Topping on the USB drive is the 2.26.0 version.  The latest driver for the SMSL M8 is the 3.20.0 version, which is what I have installed.

Op amp rolling refers to trying out different (but compatible) op amps.  Some people are of the opinion that there is really no discernible differences between well made op amps if done in a blind test, and others swear that op amps sound different from each other.  Me?  I just like to tinker.

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #93 of 512
Op amp rolling refers to trying out different (but compatible) op amps.  Some people are of the opinion that there is really no discernible differences between well made op amps if done in a blind test, and others swear that op amps sound different from each other.  Me?  I just like to tinker.
okay but what about the D30 how does it compare with the M8

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #97 of 512
You said they both sound the same. Is that it?

Pretty much.  Headphones are the most important link in the chain.  Amplifier is a distant second and DAC is way down there.  Stock, I couldn't tell the two apart.  I stuck in an OPA2107 in the D30, and convinced myself that the bass is a bit better, but I bet if I measured it with professional equipment, there will be no difference.

Mar 3, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #98 of 512

Pretty much.  Headphones are the most important link in the chain.  Amplifier is a distant second and DAC is way down there.  Stock, I couldn't tell the two apart.  I stuck in an OPA2107 in the D30, and convinced myself that the bass is a bit better, but I bet if I measured it with professional equipment, there will be no difference.

Do you have significant time with both?
I'm considering getting the D30 now too lol

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #100 of 512
The M8 I had for over a year. The D30 since September when it first came out. I've been using the D30 exclusively for the last couple of months.

Interesting to know.
The M8 is a very highly regarded DAC, its interesting to know you feel that the Topping D30 is sufficient to replace it without you feeling the need to go back to the M8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back