Topping D3 (JUNE 2013 RELEASE) (DAC + Headphone Amp)
Apr 11, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #31 of 55
Sorry I can't, I don't live there. The most noticeable thing from changing power supply (which I did since D2) was the bass and soundstage, the bass became a lot more tighter and hit harder, but it doesn't change the overall signature of the dac so if you don't like the pairing with your phone now it probably won't change even after you've upgraded the PSU.

D3 has the almost same overall tonal balance as D2 (though more refined) by the way, maybe a bit warmer.

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #33 of 55
As sweet if not more, very clear, I went from D2 -> Aune T1 -> D3 and never A-B-ed the two so I can't comment much, but I don't get the feeling of something missing like it was when I had T1. That one was just, ugh, even after tube rolling.

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #34 of 55
yea, im one of those people that enjoy a mid section that is forward. and i get what your saying about tube dac/amps. my father has an audio by van alstine dac and amp. I was just curious to see what effect the D2 dac had on the system and that is when i began to notice how airy and open the topping is. Felt like a champ telling my Dad that my $200 dac beats the pants off his much more expensive dac. 

May 22, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #35 of 55
I had the D2 , it developed a fault and I returned it and upgraded to the D3. I would echo that that the D3 has a similar tonal balance to the D2 but is much more detailed. But my issue is with the tonal balance and Blackmarket posted his review here which I totally echo and feel for :

"the Topping D3 has a little less bass and somewhat of a boosted treble.The mids also sound a bit bland. I would describe it as a very cold and neutral sound signature. They are, however, very accurate and detailed, but I'm honestly not too big of a fan of this kind of sound signature."

http://www.head-fi.org/products/topping-d3-usb-optical-coaxial-bnc-dac-black/reviews/11045

My issue with the tonal balance is so fundamental that I would prefer to listen to my 40 dollar LINDY USB Digital to Analog Audio Converter and Headphone Amp (20376).

As you can tell from my username I insist on bassey midranges and the Topping offerings have left me unfulfilled. I need an outboard headphone amp with optical input that has a bassey midrange. I would be most grateful if someone could kindly suggest one or two to try ?

Blackmarket , if you read this I would be grateful if you could chime in as well. And thanks for your review.

May 29, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #36 of 55
Sorry I can't, I don't live there. The most noticeable thing from changing power supply (which I did since D2) was the bass and soundstage, the bass became a lot more tighter and hit harder, but it doesn't change the overall signature of the dac so if you don't like the pairing with your phone now it probably won't change even after you've upgraded the PSU.

D3 has the almost same overall tonal balance as D2 (though more refined) by the way, maybe a bit warmer.

Could you tell me which PSU you got for the D3?

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #39 of 55
Just for the hell of it. I've just taken delivery of the Topping TP-32EX amp and all is good.

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #40 of 55
Some kinda bump!
Looking for dac\amp for hp, choosin between Fiio E10K, SMSL SD793II, Topping VX1, Topping D3, Topping TP30 Mark2...
Maybe someone can give an advice about that models, which one will be the best one as headphone amp+dac?

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #41 of 55
As always it depends what your needs are, assuming you want quality I would get the Topping D3 as it is virtually all discrete in construction and has every connection one would possibly need. It's power output is also very good and very well made.

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #43 of 55
Does any one know how the DAC on Topping D3 compares with Topping D20?

From what I've read, both D3 and D20 are better than D2, but I have not seen any direct comparison between D3 and D20.  

Currently D20 is significantly cheaper than D3, is the price difference mainly because of the Amp in the D3 or is there an improvement on the DAC also?

Mar 6, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #44 of 55
Hi everyone! Any other opinion about the Topping D3?
With the 
Cirrus-Logic CS4398 integrated DAC chip and all the discrete electronic it seems very promising...I would like to get one for the studio but it would be nice to read more comments about it first.
I have a Marantz pm7005 integrated amp with the same DAC chip in the living room hooked to a pair or B&W cm9. I also use it with my HD600 + macbook pro via toslink and it sounds pretty amazing.(detailed with a full body and pleasant
for long listening session).
I guess if they used that hi-end chip in the Topping D3 the quality should be quite good.

May 12, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #45 of 55
Hi everyone! Any other opinion about the Topping D3?
With the Cirrus-Logic CS4398 integrated DAC chip and all the discrete electronic it seems very promising...I would like to get one for the studio but it would be nice to read more comments about it first.
I have a Marantz pm7005 integrated amp with the same DAC chip in the living room hooked to a pair or B&W cm9. I also use it with my HD600 + macbook pro via toslink and it sounds pretty amazing.(detailed with a full body and pleasant for long listening session).
I guess if they used that hi-end chip in the Topping D3 the quality should be quite good.

Following

Users who are viewing this thread

Back