Topping D3 (JUNE 2013 RELEASE) (DAC + Headphone Amp)
Jun 5, 2013 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

av2606

New Head-Fier
The new topping D3 was released just 2 days ago. Can be purchased on ebay for $200 inc delivery.

http://www.tpdz.net/produce.asp?id=29 (run it through Google Translate)

I'm tempted to purchase it but there seems to be very little information at the moment as it's just 2 days old.

Some pics (more from the product page):

Jun 8, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 55
I emailed Topping for some more info and how it compares to the D2. Here's what was in the reply:

1. DAC + Headphone amp improved
  2. Uses a modified SOLO schematic
  3. D3's supply voltage is 45% higher than D2's, for better performance and could easily drive a high impedance headphone.
  4. USB now supports 24bit/96kHz (D2 was only 16bit/44.1Khz through USB)

I am going to purchase from eBay. I will post some impressions when it arrives.

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 55
Looks like a well thought out DAC for the money. Cant wait to hear initial impressions...should be a nice entry into this hobby at a reasonable price point. I like the black one myself.

Jun 21, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #6 of 55
So mine arrived a few days ago. Haven't had enough time to test it fully yet as I've been busy, however initial impressions are very good. Build quality is impeccable. 

Will post a slightly more detailed review in the coming days.

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #7 of 55
Still waiting for a really good review 
popcorn.gif

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #9 of 55
I'm enjoying my D3, but I don't really think I'm in a position to review it as I have ATH-M50 headphones which don't even require an amp, and my only previous high end soundcard was an Asus Essence STX. However I will say it sounds better than my STX, but not by a big margin as the STX had great sound anyway. I purchased the D3 as I plan to upgrade my headphones eventually, and also want to use the D3 as a DAC for my future Hi-Fi setup.

USB works great, just plug in play with no drivers. Even works with my Samsung Chromebook Series 3. As I mentioned in a previous post, the D3's build quality is impeccable. Really impressed.

If you have any questions ask me and I will try my best to answer.

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 55
I have one now as well. I'm coming from a NuForce Icon-2. The D3 is much brighter, assuming brighter means that the highs are much more pronounced and detailed. My mind was sort of blown on how much of a difference there was between the two. It is almost too much (the highs), at first it seemed like it just lacked bass compared to the NuForce but after more listening I think it is just the NuForce that lacks the highs. A track containing acoustic guitar made this very obvious when switching between the two.

The headphone amp is definitely much more capable than that of the Icon-2 and it has no problem driving anything I've thrown at it (HD580s, K701s, D990 Pros (250 Ohm), AHD2000, and SR225s) . That was actually the main reason I wanted to get a new amp, the Icon-2 has trouble powering the AKGs, Senns and Beyerdynamics, the Topping does not. Also, at low volumes the balance seems to hold, unlike the NuForce. Though, honestly, that was very rarely an issue for me with the NuForce, still, if you like to listen at low volumes, then that won't be an issue here.

The build quality is quite good too.

So far I am happy with it.

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 55
Quote:
I have one now as well. I'm coming from a NuForce Icon-2. The D3 is much brighter, assuming brighter means that the highs are much more pronounced and detailed. My mind was sort of blown on how much of a difference there was between the two. It is almost too much (the highs), at first it seemed like it just lacked bass compared to the NuForce but after more listening I think it is just the NuForce that lacks the highs. A track containing acoustic guitar made this very obvious when switching between the two.

The headphone amp is definitely much more capable than that of the Icon-2 and it has no problem driving anything I've thrown at it (HD580s, K701s, D990 Pros (250 Ohm), AHD2000, and SR225s) . That was actually the main reason I wanted to get a new amp, the Icon-2 has trouble powering the AKGs, Senns and Beyerdynamics, the Topping does not. Also, at low volumes the balance seems to hold, unlike the NuForce. Though, honestly, that was very rarely an issue for me with the NuForce, still, if you like to listen at low volumes, then that won't be an issue here.

The build quality is quite good too.

So far I am happy with it.

Not sure if this is simply because I'm used to it now, but I noticed the bass became more punchy and alive after around 20 hours of burn in. Sounds fantastic with Kanye West's new album Yeezus and Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest. The punch is there when you need it and the detail is always present.

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #13 of 55
I'm actually in Hong Kong now and from the internet it seems the price of these things here are about 180USD.

I'll be picking one up in the coming week. Almost forgot I can take advantage of the fact that I'm out of the states at the moment to grab some neat audio equipment.

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #14 of 55
Just ordered one as I was looking for a brighter and less sweetish source compared to the arcam r-pack I currently own.
I'll share my impressions on this thread once I have it 
size]

Hardware wise, it sounds very promising

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #15 of 55
Just got mine, I can safely says that it's leap and bound better than Aune T1, in resolution and dynamic. Of course you don't get that tube sound with this but it can be fixed with tube buffer or amp, as a whole package I like D3 far better for the price (and it suits my music preference).

Oh forgot that my impression is with a custom made linear regulated PSU, the PSU that come with the unit is pretty crappy. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back