Topping A90
Apr 6, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #1,246 of 1,442
Interestingly according to the specs, the best SNR and dynamic range is by SE in/ BAL out. If your DAC has both SE and BAL out, would you choose to use SE out to achieve a better SNR/ dynamic range?

Only because balanced would use two amp modules, which will produce twice the noise. No way around that..
In real world, balanced has much better noise suppression, I wouldn't use RCA just because of those specs.

Apr 6, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #1,247 of 1,442
I seem to have EMI issues when using the Topping A90.

My audio chain is:
Computer USB --> ifi iDSD Signature RCA out --> Topping A90 --> Neumann KH80 active speakers OR headphones/ IEM

After the addition of the A90, I clearly hear background buzz over all outputs (both RCA and XLR to speakers, both balanced and SE headphone out) which gets stronger when my computer's GPU is working harder (like playing videos or loading apps).

One interesting point is this phenomen remains the same when the iDSD Signature DAC is turned OFF, and only the A90 is turned ON.

Before I had the A90, the ifi iDSD Signature feeds my IEMs/ headphones/ speakers directly and the background was nearly silent, though I can detect more "hiss" when playing videos (with the video player volume at zero and the headphone out of the iDSD turned all the way up), but nothing as loud as when using the A90.

Any suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #1,248 of 1,442
Hi there,

I just got my Topping A90. I use my RME ADI DAC 2 as a DAC and have connected it to the A90 via XLR. When I listen to music through my IEMs or headphones and my smartphone is on the desk, I will get interference noise. I did not have this issue with my RME when I use it as an amp.

Is this normal?

Thnaks!

Apr 19, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #1,249 of 1,442
Hi there,

I just got my Topping A90. I use my RME ADI DAC 2 as a DAC and have connected it to the A90 via XLR. When I listen to music through my IEMs or headphones and my smartphone is on the desk, I will get interference noise. I did not have this issue with my RME when I use it as an amp.

Is this normal?

Thnaks!
Other people in this thread have reported interference on the A90 from their phones. I personally experience no interference even when I keep my iPhone 11 Pro Max right on top of the A90, but your experience is happening to others.

Apr 19, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #1,250 of 1,442
Other people in this thread have reported interference on the A90 from their phones. I personally experience no interference even when I keep my iPhone 11 Pro Max right on top of the A90, but your experience is happening to others.
Yes, but mostly with RCA I believe. Not with XLR. At least, that is the case for me.

Apr 27, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #1,252 of 1,442
How does A90 compare to Cayin iha-6? I have the later one. Worth trying a90?
Hi there,

Is this normal?

Thnaks!
I didn't get interference from two phones either using wifi or cellular network placed next to the A90, but I am getting other noises like EMI from GPU or CPU which I am elaborating in another post for the sake of clarity.

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #1,253 of 1,442
3 month report. The A90 still works fine. Since then I've gotten a vtv purifi amp for my main floor standing speakers and I'm using the d90/a90 as dac and preamp for my main living room system. It works really well with the balanced out of the a90 going to my speaker amp and the rca going to my sub woofer. With the gain on medium and the volume at 12 o clock on the dial it has just about the right amount of gain for easy control of my headphones and my main speakers with the d90 remote. Now it works just like a receiver except you have to turn on 3 things instead of 1. It sounds freaking amazing :thumbsup:. I haven't heard any interference from my phone or anything else and my a90 is sandwiched in between my speaker amp, my pc, my wifi receiver, and my phone on my entertainment center shelf all within about a foot. To this day my only issue with the a90 was usb computer noice when I move my mouse but that was completely fixed by switching to xlr from the d90 to the a90.

May 2, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #1,254 of 1,442
How does A90 compare to Cayin iha-6? I have the later one. Worth trying a90?

I have both the iHA-6 and the A90, and have compared both using the Meze Empyrean. The iHA-6 has a fuller bass and better stage depth, in my opinion. A90 has slightly better detail, particularly in the treble area (more "airy"), and overall sounds more analytical/clinical, which makes it sound more snappy/faster. To me, the iHA-6 is the better match with the Empys, but that's personal preference of course.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #1,255 of 1,442
The longer I listen to A90, the more this little amp surprise me. The linearity, smoothness and superb micro detail are the main keys. No, it's not giant killer to higher amp like GSX, Formula S or Wells Milo. But for the price... definitely a steal! It's great to become audiophile these days.

P.s: I love the synergy of this amp with most (hard to drive) high end planar out there

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #1,256 of 1,442
After owning the A90+D90 for a while, it's unfortunately time for me to say goodbye to the A90. Not because it's not good; it is. Just because I now definitely prefer single ended, class A amplification for my HD800 & T1 headphones.

The A90 is a very good product. My only criticism is that I found its RCA preamp output was a bit 'hissy'. I ended up using the D90'S digital volume control section, which was disappointing.

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #1,257 of 1,442
The longer I listen to A90, the more this little amp surprise me. The linearity, smoothness and superb micro detail are the main keys. No, it's not giant killer to higher amp like GSX, Formula S or Wells Milo. But for the price... definitely a steal! It's great to become audiophile these days.

P.s: I love the synergy of this amp with most (hard to drive) high end planar out there
After owning the A90+D90 for a while, it's unfortunately time for me to say goodbye to the A90. Not because it's not good; it is. Just because I now definitely prefer single ended, class A amplification for my HD800 & T1 headphones.

The A90 is a very good product. My only criticism is that I found its RCA preamp output was a bit 'hissy'. I ended up using the D90'S digital volume control section, which was disappointing.
Try Singxer sa-1 amp.

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #1,259 of 1,442
My only criticism is that I found its RCA preamp output was a bit 'hissy'.
With what exact headphones, please? What DAC have you connected to A90's RCA input? With RCA inputs shorted to GND do you still hear the hiss noise too?
I ended up using the D90'S digital volume control section, which was disappointing.
Why is that? Lack of rotary knob?

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #1,260 of 1,442
On my desk at work I have a D90 connected to an A90 with short XLRs. The A90 was driving Beyerdynamics T1, which I modified to be balanced (4 pin XLR) or HD800. I'm often alone in the office so I also have a Rotel power amp driving KEF Q350 speakers.

My intention was to use the D90 as a fixed output level DAC, disabling its volume control, then use the A90 in preamp mode to control the volume level to the power amp via RCA. But that caused a hiss through the speakers. The hiss disappeared when I enabled volume control on the D90 and connected that directly to the power amp via RCA, limiting the A90 to headphones only.

Yes, it was disappointing because the A90's rotary control is easier than the volume up/down buttons on the D90, and I'd heard that disabling the D90's volume control (bypassing its preamp) improved its sound quality. The A90 is designed to be a preamp but didn't work well for me.

I haven't tried grounding the A90's RCA inputs. It's an interesting suggestion. I will try that when I get time but the A90 has been pushed aside since I found a cheap, used Trilogy 931 for use at work. The upside is H/P sound quality. The downside is that I now need 2 RCA outputs from the D90 (one for power amp, one for 931). The D90+A90 stack was a neater solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back