Topping A90
Mar 13, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #1,216 of 1,442
Ok if my computer volume is at 100% and the A90 is on high gain, I can hear faint music on min volume as well. Not an issue for me.
I hear it on all levels on both se and balanced outputs. Not a big problem, but adds up to the ground loop you mentioned and rca distortion mentioned by someone else a while ago.
On full balanced mode the sound is very good though, A90 combined with Aune S8. I will next pair it with a matrix X-SABRE Pro MQA, it is suppose to be way better even if they both use ess top dac, 9038pro. Don't think it will be a huge difference though dispite the double price tag.

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #1,219 of 1,442
Does the a90 give the best sound with 4.4mm or xlr output?
Both sound the same. I use the same 4mm/cable + a 4mm to 4-pin adapter, and both outputs sound the same. I also use an adapter from 4mm to 2.5mm for some of my IEM's, and I have the same 16 core KBEAR cables terminated in 2.5mm and 4.4mm and I've swapped those cables on an IEM and the sound is the same to my ears.

Now, the RCA input vs XLR input, to me the RCA input sounds different, but not enough different to keep me from being happy using either the XLR input or the RCA input when I don't have environmental noise induced into the connections. There is a small but noticeable signal difference between the RCA and XLR inputs, with the RCA being about 1dB-2dB under the XLR signal.

Daily I use the Topping D90 MQA XLR output into the Topping A90 / Xduoo TA-20 XLR input to reduce the environmental noise that the RCA connection cannot reject.

I hope that helps answer your question(s). :)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #1,220 of 1,442
New Topping purchaser here. I was burned by the LH Labs/Indiegogo fiasco to the tune of $6300 US in owed product but was working full time when I made those 'purchases' and had the disposable income. 3 years ago I was forced into early retirement by health issues. I'm now on disability income and have had FAR less disposable income for my hobbies. As I suspect LH Labs will never deliver on the product owed, I started looking at other options. I've been saving for the last 3 years and finally built up enough reserves to go for some new gear.

Unlike many that pair the A90 with Topping's own D90, I chose to go with the Topping DX7 Pro instead. Initially I plan to try the DX7 Pro on its own, as it has an integrated headphone amp as well as the pre-amp/LO functions. My primary headphone that needs some decent power is the HD800. I've done the SDR mod and replaced the earpads with Dekoni hybrids. In the DX7 Pro thread there's a lot of talk about op-amp rolling to improve on its capability, but that's something I'll hold off on for now.

My current amps/DACs are in my signature, but you'll see that for now I've been limited to using portable gear. Along with my other health issues, two years ago I started experiencing constant tinnitus. Constant background music/noise is about the only thing that keeps me from going bonkers. So with the HD800 being underpowered by my current gear, I decided that if the DX7 Pro couldn't handle them, I'd pair it with the A90.

My DX7 Pro and A90 are arriving mid-week according to the tracking, so I'll get to start playing with it soon. This thread is a little long so I read the 1st few pages to get a feel for thoughts and the initial excitement during release of the A90 in mid-2020. I then jumped to page 70 and read to the end. I'm a little freaked out by the couple of reported A90 failures, one taking out the headphones with it. But that said, the number of reports seem few, both here on Head-fi and in other audio forums I've been reading so I'm not overly concerned.

My plan is actually to use the DX7/A90 combo to drive both my headphones and the haptic vest I've ordered (the Woojer unit). Obviously now that I'm aware I'll be sure the A90 I receive is the newer version before I even power it up. Anything else I should be aware of? Any tips/tricks? I've heard the HD800 on various tube and solid state amps at local meets over the years, but looking forward to finally having a desktop setup that can hopefully do them justice.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #1,221 of 1,442
I'm currently wondering, does the L30 sound as good as the A90 on its single-ended output?
I've seen many persons say it does, but I'm a bit perplex given the price gap. Is the $129 vs $499 price tag only justified by the balanced output?

I've been listening to the L30 for a while now, and compared to the equivalently-priced hybrid amp CTH from Drop and Alex Cavalli, the soundstage is less impressive (single ended) so I'm really curious to know if the A90's single ended output offers no improvement over the L30's.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #1,225 of 1,442
YES THE DX 220 has a line out with adjustable volume, I did some tests, if I put the right 220 in line out at maximum volume and I adjust from the A90 the sound result is sufficient, today instead I put the volume of the A90 to maximum and adjusting instead the volume of the music from the right 220 the sound result is much much better, I presume because the A90 at maximum volume distorts much less than the DX 200?

Mar 20, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #1,226 of 1,442
YES THE DX 220 has a line out with adjustable volume, I did some tests, if I put the right 220 in line out at maximum volume and I adjust from the A90 the sound result is sufficient, today instead I put the volume of the A90 to maximum and adjusting instead the volume of the music from the right 220 the sound result is much much better, I presume because the A90 at maximum volume distorts much less than the DX 200?
Could be.

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #1,227 of 1,442

I received my new Topping DX7 Pro + A90 bundle early last week and ended up configuring it the same as you - the A90 volume is set to max and the DX7 Pro line-outs (both RCA and XLR) are set to Preamp mode. This allows me to use the remote that came with the DX7 to adjust the volume. So far it's working very well, with no noticeable noise or distortion, and I've driven it as far as -10dB on the DX7.

It's my 1st decent desktop setup and I couldn't be happier so far. My SDR modded HD800 with Dekoni earpads sound so much better compared to my other DAC/amp setups. The Fiio Q5s TC with its THX amp stage does pretty well, but the A90 does better.

On Monday I receive my Woojer haptic vest, which I'll connect to the RCA line-outs of the DX7. I've not read much regarding haptic transducer vests/belts with music, but I know it'll see more use for gaming and movies. I also looked at the Subpac but chose the Woojer based on feedback and personal preference. And the Woojer is cheaper than the Subpac too, so that's a bonus. It'll be interesting to see how haptic feedback changes my music listening. If it's anything close to my old bass shaker setup in the home theater, I'll be quite happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back