Topping A90
Nov 25, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #931 of 1,442
You guys convinced me to get the A90 this Black Friday (hopefully a sale somewhere). I will pair it with my modified Sony SCD-1 SACD player in the short term until I get a second DAC next year.

I have the Benchmark HPA4 in my 2 channel office rig + Meze Empy. I bought it instead of the Benchmark LA4 because it was ONLY a $500 upcharge for the headphone amp. So I view the HPA4 as having a $500 headphone amp and a $2500 preamp. The $2500 preamp section is for one of the best preamps at any price point. If the A90 is as good as the $500 headphone section on the HPA4 then it would be a home run. The A90 will be for my bedroom where I can listen to tunes on my bed. I used to have the Bryston BHA-1 in the bedroom but sold it because it was fairing badly in comparison to the HPA4. Hopefully the A90 does not suffer in comparison.

BTW - My music server computer is in the bedroom where the A90 will go. I normally use a microRendu to connect from a computer to a DAC, but do not want to spend on another Ethernet-2-USB convertor at this time. I was wondering if new DACs like the D90 have solved the problem of computer noise seeping into the DAC via direct USB connection.

Nov 26, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #935 of 1,442
For what it’s worth, I got it from Apos Audio while price matching Shenzhen Audio (around $420 if you’re in the US) but I don’t know if there is a better deal out there
Thanks I saw that and ordered last night.

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #936 of 1,442
I did some research and it looks like both the Topping D90 and Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 have streaming built into the DAC, at least with an Android phone. I use ROON and TIDAL. The Martix also has the LAN streaming and I have a network hub right beside the location of where the DAC would be placed.

Anyone have any opinions on these 2 DACs paired up with the Topping A90 (just bought it)? These Black Friday sales are too tempting.

Nov 26, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #937 of 1,442
The a90 as a pre amp does not work as well as the hp amp volume so my suggestion is by pass a90 for speakers if u can

Nov 27, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #938 of 1,442
The a90 as a pre amp does not work as well as the hp amp volume so my suggestion is by pass a90 for speakers if u can
I second this opinion. As a preamp the A90 is lacking. Perhaps that is why Topping is making a dedicated preamplifier P90. It just is not nearly as good a preamp as it is an amplifier. But then again I bought a headphone amp first and a preamp option as a secondary option for flexibility if ever necessary.

Nov 27, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #941 of 1,442
You guys convinced me to get the A90 this Black Friday (hopefully a sale somewhere). I will pair it with my modified Sony SCD-1 SACD player in the short term until I get a second DAC next year.

I have the Benchmark HPA4 in my 2 channel office rig + Meze Empy. I bought it instead of the Benchmark LA4 because it was ONLY a $500 upcharge for the headphone amp. So I view the HPA4 as having a $500 headphone amp and a $2500 preamp. The $2500 preamp section is for one of the best preamps at any price point. If the A90 is as good as the $500 headphone section on the HPA4 then it would be a home run. The A90 will be for my bedroom where I can listen to tunes on my bed. I used to have the Bryston BHA-1 in the bedroom but sold it because it was fairing badly in comparison to the HPA4. Hopefully the A90 does not suffer in comparison.

BTW - My music server computer is in the bedroom where the A90 will go. I normally use a microRendu to connect from a computer to a DAC, but do not want to spend on another Ethernet-2-USB convertor at this time. I was wondering if new DACs like the D90 have solved the problem of computer noise seeping into the DAC via direct USB connection.
The D90 omits the power portion of the USB connection so yes- its perfect for D90 and A90 and sounds better than many other USB units designed in 2019 or before- look at audiosciencereview specs the USB does very well. I can say the stock USB stinks I used a few different ones and found the Kimber USBb worked best for smoothest sound.

Nov 27, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #942 of 1,442
The D90 omits the power portion of the USB connection so yes- its perfect for D90 and A90 and sounds better than many other USB units designed in 2019 or before- look at audiosciencereview specs the USB does very well. I can say the stock USB stinks I used a few different ones and found the Kimber USBb worked best for smoothest sound.

I ended up buying the Matrix Mini-i Pro 3. My rather quick decisions on buying were based of this thread and the reviewer on Soundnews. I liked the fact that that reviewer thought the Benchmark HPA4 was the best thing since sliced bread, I like it a lot too. I buying the A90 and Matrix just on the internet hype. It should be interesting to see if it works out. I had $1100 from the sale of my Bryston BHA-1 a few months ago. Compared to the Bryston, the A90 and Matrix came to a little over that and I also get a DAC, streaming with potentially a better headphone amp. So it could be a great cost savings setup if I like it. This is for a second headphone only bedroom system.

Nov 27, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #943 of 1,442
Does A90 generate any level of hiss when driving low-impedance or high-sensitivity headphone even via 4pin or 4.4mm balanced connection?
I have used the UE18+ Pro with the 4.4mm and 3.5mm ports. No hiss.

Nov 28, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #944 of 1,442
I placed 2 orders in the last 2 days. One was with APOS Audio and the other was with Shenzehaudio. It seems to me that these 2 companies are run by the same people. Is that something that is commonly known?

Nov 28, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #945 of 1,442
I placed 2 orders in the last 2 days. One was with APOS Audio and the other was with Shenzehaudio. It seems to me that these 2 companies are run by the same people. Is that something that is commonly known?
They price matched a90 for me at apos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back