Topping A90
Nov 28, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #946 of 1,442
They price matched a90 for me at apos

Price matched me too.

I go an email for 1 order from APOS and the other from Shenzenhaudio. The HTML order status email was identical between the 2 companies, except for the color of the text font. They both seem to be the same company.

Nov 29, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #947 of 1,442
I got the D90 to pair with A90 currently connected with RCA wondering if XLR will bring any benefit and if buying expensive XLR would justify the cost or should go with Grimm TPR cables or World's best cables Mogami 2534 which are very cheap bring better result.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #948 of 1,442
I got the D90 to pair with A90 currently connected with RCA wondering if XLR will bring any benefit and if buying expensive XLR would justify the cost or should go with Grimm TPR cables or World's best cables Mogami 3534 which are very cheap bring better result.

Yes on XLR (i was getting terrible noise on SE)

Don't waste money on expensive XLR interconnects.

Nov 30, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #950 of 1,442
Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #951 of 1,442
Dec 1, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #952 of 1,442
Thanks already bought WBC Mogami 2534 see how it works.
cool- you will hear differences when trying different wire for sure when the A90 is used b/c it's so transparent- I can also rec some all copper non shielded power cord but braided for EMI rejection

Dec 1, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #953 of 1,442
cool- you will hear differences when trying different wire for sure when the A90 is used b/c it's so transparent- I can also rec some all copper non shielded power cord but braided for EMI rejection
Thanks for recommendation on Power Cord, I am currently using Arya sounds very detailed, but after comparing with Hugo 2 I find Hugo more enjoyable. I will keep the D90 for desktop and Hugo2 for mobility. I am not sure if 4.4mm cable and XLR has same output or different, currently using the XLR but want to try pure copper Pentagon cable to see if it makes any improvements over silver plated copper XLR.

Dec 3, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #954 of 1,442
Just got mine today. Looking for a bit of advice.

Here is my current setup:
USB Power + Optical Cable from PC --> Topping D50S --> RCA Input on Topping A90 using Schitt PYST cables --> Headphones.

So far I've heard a lot of hissing/static on the Single Ended and 4.4mm Balanced Connections. My understanding is that this is possibly grounding noise from using USB power. Is this something that could be solved by using an external power supply to the D50S instead? Or is there another route I can take to eliminate the noise?

Edit: Switched from PC-USB Power to external power via USB and no more hiss. Still using Optical Cable from PC to D50S.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #955 of 1,442
Just got mine today. Looking for a bit of advice.

Here is my current setup:
USB Power + Optical Cable from PC --> Topping D50S --> RCA Input on Topping A90 using Schitt PYST cables --> Headphones.

So far I've heard a lot of hissing/static on the Single Ended and 4.4mm Balanced Connections. My understanding is that this is possibly grounding noise from using USB power. Is this something that could be solved by using an external power supply to the D50S instead? Or is there another route I can take to eliminate the noise?

Edit: Switched from PC-USB Power to external power via USB and no more hiss. Still using Optical Cable from PC to D50S.

If you get another DAC down the line , run it balanced to A90 (XLR) then that should eliminate any static fully , also running pc to something like a Rasberry Pi / HAT ie removing the direct link from noisy PC and DAC

Dec 6, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #956 of 1,442
Dec 6, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #957 of 1,442
I second this opinion. As a preamp the A90 is lacking. Perhaps that is why Topping is making a dedicated preamplifier P90. It just is not nearly as good a preamp as it is an amplifier. But then again I bought a headphone amp first and a preamp option as a secondary option for flexibility if ever necessary.
Can you give the reasons why that is? you both say the same but you guys give zero reasons or zero explanation about why the a90 is not that good as a preamp, because I was thinking to get one, willl use it 90% time as active speakers pre amp, and 10% of the time as a headphone amp... But if you say it's not good... The volume knob is already too small to be decent, but probably you know more than me about this device so please explain it properly. Do not throw the stone and hide your hand right after.

No doubt, A90 is another very well-engineered instrument built by Topping. Previously impressed by DX3pro for its low background noise level and here I receive additionally great impression on Topping's products.

Well engineered is a GSX mini, a vioelectric. This is a cheap chinese designed, chinese constructed and chinese manufactured product, with less than a year out there, and zero references about its reliability in time. Not to mention that even without testing the device, you can already clearly notice that the design of the knob is quite a double facepalm... So, no, not well engineered really, at all.

Dec 6, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #958 of 1,442
2nd time I ordered A90 to give it second try - and second time I decided it's not as good as Apache By Ray Samules or my Pass WHAMMY w/Dual Opa627s - I am returning A90 iwithout regret

1D24CEDF-D590-423E-84D2-57BF98C7ACAA.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #959 of 1,442
If you get another DAC down the line , run it balanced to A90 (XLR) then that should eliminate any static fully , also running pc to something like a Rasberry Pi / HAT ie removing the direct link from noisy PC and DAC
I ended up using the charger brick for an old phone haha but good to know that your method would also work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back