Topping A90
Dec 8, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #962 of 1,442
yes, it should do the trick, but you can do this while your player is in dap mode also. enable line out mode if it has one or go to highest volume on the dap.
Awesome, thanks!

As for running in DAP, I'm a bit worried about SQ decrease, because outs from the dap will probably get double amped this way... not sure if it's a concern though.

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #963 of 1,442
Awesome, thanks!

As for running in DAP, I'm a bit worried about SQ decrease, because outs from the dap will probably get double amped this way... not sure if it's a concern though.
Found a discussion regarding this in the official wm1z/1a thread, double-amping seems to be of a non-concern in any way for this DAP.

EDIT:
So there's basically zero difference between running it as a DAP or DAC, besides when in dap you control everything from a player itself, and when in DAC you have to get a source device, like a PC, which may introduce some unnecessary noise, am I right?

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #964 of 1,442
no news still about the knob swapability????? thanks again!!

That's a TOP stack :) NoICE!

I'm really enjoying the HD820 with the Topping A90 Head.Amp... Prefer it to the Master 9 that's built-into my NOS11... It's very close, but feels like that A90 edges over it in terms of speed for me.

20200821_210313.jpg
Could you please comment on that custom knob you have there in the A90 please? what is the size? was it difficult or just like any other removable knob? thanks again!!

Dec 12, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #966 of 1,442

Could you please comment on that custom knob you have there in the A90 please? what is the size? was it difficult or just like any other removable knob? thanks again!!
I prefer knurled metal volume knobs... no effect on the sound, of course, but does have a much more 'premium' feel
Sourced mine from here: https://www.goodcomponent.com/products/knobspotentiometers/aluminum-knobs/1611.html

I have just sold my A90 tho (hope I don't regret it)
1607752382852.png

Dec 12, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #967 of 1,442
Dec 12, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #968 of 1,442
Can you please tell us more on how to swap the knobs out?
Just pull the stock one out; straight-out. -- If you're like me, getting a grip may be difficult with rough and dry hands; so a chamois cloth or similar.
The replacement I used was from GoodComponent/GD-Parts; that has a hex-screw that you tighten

Hope that helps

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #969 of 1,442
Just pull the stock one out; straight-out. -- If you're like me, getting a grip may be difficult with rough and dry hands; so a chamois cloth or similar.
The replacement I used was from GoodComponent/GD-Parts; that has a hex-screw that you tighten

Hope that helps
Excellent, thank you.

Dec 13, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #970 of 1,442
I wonder when this will be at 425$ shipped again, like in black friday. Maybe 399$ for black friday 2021? not gonna pay 500$ for this anymore though...

Dec 13, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #971 of 1,442

Hope that helps
Excellent, thank you.
Nooo!, that's a good way to permanently damage the Topping A90 potentiometer and then need an RMA back to Topping in China to get a new one.

Just live with the knob - it's actually the pot that's got a loose shaft on some of the units that happened by forcing on knobs in production!, sheesh, it's an awesome unit as is, no need to try to customize it and ruin the Custom pot - user irreplaceable - in the process, from ASR:
The removal process could have degraded the pot further(I'm very certain it has, and again with reinstalling). (Also the pot is fully customized, you almost are not able to find exact replacement for the pot, 5k 4gang 5% -60db tracking) So this is not recommended for everyone else. Also as I posted earlier it's clearly described and explained. It is the pot itself. But it's caused by external forced applied to the pot during the knob installation process. Some ended up requiring less force some with more. So the end result is some units may exhibit this behavior. But like many others have said, it's acceptable and doesn't affect the performance itself of the volume control.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-headphone-amplifier-review.13592/post-433435

Please read the posts by @rigel - he also posted photo's.

Lots of good info about the A90 in that thread and in the D90 thread. Great site.

John worked on the A90 and knows what's what with Topping headphone AMP's. I'd recommend if you want to figure out what to do with your knob / pot displeasures, create an account on ASR and ask John how to solve them safely.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #972 of 1,442
Nooo!, that's a good way to permanently damage the Topping A90 potentiometer and then need an RMA back to Topping in China to get a new one.

Just live with the knob - it's actually the pot that's got a loose shaft on some of the units that happened by forcing on knobs in production!, sheesh, it's an awesome unit as is, no need to try to customize it and ruin the Custom pot - user irreplaceable - in the process, from ASR:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-headphone-amplifier-review.13592/post-433435

Please read the posts by @rigel - he also posted photo's.

Lots of good info about the A90 in that thread and in the D90 thread. Great site.

John worked on the A90 and knows what's what with Topping headphone AMP's. I'd recommend if you want to figure out what to do with your knob / pot displeasures, create an account on ASR and ask John how to solve them safely.
Many thanks for a useful intervention .. :)

Dec 16, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #973 of 1,442
I've been living with an A90 on my work desk for a while now.

I love my HD800 best but since I need some sound isolation at work I paired it with my semi-open DT880 600Ω and an old Audiophonics PCM5102 DAC that was lying around & had served me well. (I know, very unbalanced matching.)

Although I initially found the A90 impressive, I soon started favouring my other amps (Trilogy 931 & Emotiva A-100) that seemed to give a 'livelier' and 'larger' sound. I even considered passing the A90 on. But I knew that I hadn't really given it a fair chance.

Coincidentally I obtained a pair of old T1 headphones. I immediately chopped the TRS plug off them and swapped it for a 4-pin XLR. Suddenly, the A90 sounded better, balanced into the T1.

Then today a Topping D90 arrived on top of the A90. Wow! Suddenly everything seems to have opened up and gelled together. I am very impressed, and happy that I now have a desk combo that I'm not itching to change.

As always, good kit relies on good mates.

20201216_105404.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #974 of 1,442
Its frequency response say 20-40khz, does that means it can't amplify any signal below or above that range? Like if a deep 15hz rumble came on, would the amp even play that? Or is 20-40k just the range it specializes in primarily, but CAN go beyond?

Dec 16, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #975 of 1,442
Its frequency response say 20-40khz, does that means it can't amplify any signal below or above that range? Like if a deep 15hz rumble came on, would the amp even play that? Or is 20-40k just the range it specializes in primarily, but CAN go beyond?
You can't hear above or below that range, so does it really matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back