Topping A90
Oct 6, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #826 of 1,442
Well... the A90 isn't a piece of Schiit. :beyersmile:

I'd say the main difference - besides everything - is that the Schiit hardware tends to not "measure well" - it doesn't look good in measurements of performance, where the Topping gear including the A90 tops the ASR measurement graphs.

Here are the measurements done by ASR for the Topping A90 and Schiit Headphone AMP's (no Jotunheim review on ASR found):

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-headphone-amplifier-review.13592/post-410374

Schiit Magnius Balanced Headphone Amp Review
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...lanced-headphone-amp-review.15252/post-481766

Schiit Asgard 3 Headphone Amp & DAC
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-asgard-3-headphone-amp-dac.14393/post-442354

Perhaps reading the ASR A90 and Schitt Headphone Amp test results, and reading comments from ASR members will help you decide which to get :)

I did a bunch of searches but didn't turn up any direct comparisons for the A90 / Jotunheim, just speculation based on using the A90 vs other AMPs but not the Jotunheim,

If you are a Schiit fan perhaps you'd be happier with that sound?
Yeh i went through ASR reviews of both and seems like a90 is just made to meassure well. Though i think its just part of story. Jotunheim meassures horribly. But not sure how much that affects listening experience in reality.

Though one thing i like about a90 is the output impedance this for me will probably be a selling point. + it has 4.4mm jack.

I think i will wait for black friday or something maybe i will be lucky and it will go on sale.

Oct 6, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #827 of 1,442
Yeh i went through ASR reviews of both and seems like a90 is just made to meassure well. Though i think its just part of story. Jotunheim meassures horribly. But not sure how much that affects listening experience in reality.

Though one thing i like about a90 is the output impedance this for me will probably be a selling point. + it has 4.4mm jack.

I think i will wait for black friday or something maybe i will be lucky and it will go on sale.

Actually the 4.4mm output mattered for me too since I already had a 4.4mm pentaconn quality cable for my HD 6XX from Forza Audioworks. I took the chance when I saw a used A90 even though it was a bit more expensive than I originally planned for. :wink: I like the feeling of having some power though. Not having to think about how more power would affect the sound.

Would love to have this discussion on ASR....... :wink: There are for sure some gear measuring badly but sounding great anyway through our ears.

iFi Zen Dac is an another interesting example. Almost all reviewers giving it really good reviews except ASR because of poor measurements. :wink: It's really, really difficult finding poor reviews for the Zen Dac, that's for sure.

Interview with Schiit Audio - Part 1: why all amps sound different

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #828 of 1,442
Actually the 4.4mm output mattered for me too since I already had a 4.4mm pentaconn quality cable for my HD 6XX from Forza Audioworks. I took the chance when I saw a used A90 even though it was a bit more expensive than I originally planned for. :wink: I like the feeling of having some power though. Not having to think about how more power would affect the sound.

Would love to have this discussion on ASR....... :wink: There are for sure some gear measuring badly but sounding great anyway through our ears.

iFi Zen Dac is an another interesting example. Almost all reviewers giving it really good reviews except ASR because of poor measurements. :wink: It's really, really difficult finding poor reviews for the Zen Dac, that's for sure.

Interview with Schiit Audio - Part 1: why all amps sound different

On my dx 220 im using moded amp8 and therefore my LX is only plugged to 4.4mm plussound x6 silver + gold.
So when the cable costs more than amp i need to adapt the amp :ksc75smile: though my desktop gear is just now getting some love it will be primarily for cans via XLR.

As for power. It does not just mean loudness, or running more demanding cans. It gives you better dynamics, bigger stage etc. Even on low volume or less demanging HPs. So its always good to have.

Oct 6, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #829 of 1,442

Amir's a funny guy :) But in all fairness, we understand that many people after audio products take into account everything including measurements, which is perfectly fine.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 6, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #830 of 1,442
Does anyone know which amplifier in the market would be a more powerful amplifier than the A90 that is priced close or a somewhat higher than the prices of the A90 but not too expensive and high-end?

Oct 6, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #831 of 1,442
Does anyone know which amplifier in the market would be a more powerful amplifier than the A90 that is priced close or a somewhat higher than the prices of the A90 but not too expensive and high-end?
Flux labs FA 10 for 750 $, but is a different AMP (class A and different sound). You can see a comparison between A90 and FA 10 here

Oct 6, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #832 of 1,442
Flux labs FA 10 for 750 $, but is a different AMP (class A and different sound). You can see a comparison between A90 and FA 10 here
Will check it out thanks

Oct 7, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #835 of 1,442
Seems like whatever i read about a90, describes it as flawless option for me.

Mostly two minor negative things I have read about (A90) otherwise really good reviews etc but others in this thread maybe having more to say.

1. Sensitive for interference/noise when using RCA cables. (Which may relate to some other Topping amps as well, not sure?)
@hmscott explained this for me as "RCA noise being a ground loop noise (from Topping A90) - and ground noise brought in from USB cable through the Dac.". There are ways around this though, better cables (RCA and USB cables) and in some cases USB 2 working much better than USB 3, using a power supply instead of running the DAC USB powered etc. The best "solution" by far is only using balanced cables for the Topping A90 though.
2. Read about early issues about a fuse issue, a fuse being too weak? Not sure if this was related to the power button on the backside of the A90? Likely/hopefully this only was an issue with early production series of the A90 and solvable (changing the fuse).

I assume/believe questions can be answered by JohnYang1997 on ASR (Topping designer/engineer?)

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #836 of 1,442
Mostly two minor negative things I have read about (A90) otherwise really good reviews etc.

1. Sensitive for interference/noise when using RCA cables. (Which may relate to some other Topping amps as well, not sure?)
@hmscott explained this for me as "RCA noise being a ground loop noise (from Topping A90) - and ground noise brought in from USB cable through the Dac.". There are ways around this though, better cables (RCA and USB cables) and in some cases USB 2 working much better than USB 3, using a power supply instead of running the DAC USB powered etc. The best "solution" by far is only using balanced cables for the Topping A90 though.
2. Read about early issues about a fuse issue, a fuse being too weak? Not sure if this was related to the power button on the backside of the A90? Likely/hopefully this only was an issue with early production series of the A90 and solvable (changing the fuse).

I assume questions can be answered by JohnYang1997 on ASR (Topping designer/engineer?)
Several years ago, I had the same problem with RCA cables when I connected Fostex PM1 MK2 to Asus Xonar Essence One, and the interference/noise was a lot noticiable. Then, I bought a Fender XLR cables and used balanced and no problems at all.

Oct 7, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #837 of 1,442
Several years ago, I had the same problem with RCA cables when I connected Fostex PM1 MK2 to Asus Xonar Essence One, and the interference/noise was a lot noticiable. Then, I bought a Fender XLR cables and used balanced and no problems at all.

Thanks, good to know

For me there was a huge difference connecting the DAC to USB 2 instead of USB 3 but in addition I had to run the DAC using a power supply instead of USB powered, then it became dead silent (usb 2 & power supply). Note: I never had this issue when running the dac/amp standalone, only when connecting it to the A90 through RCA. It's very likely better cables would have helped too but didn't try. @hmscott is great in this specific areaa, his experiences and cables recommended etc.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #838 of 1,442
Yes, im aware of RCA noise issue but the reason i want to add a90 it to use it on Xlr in and out so that is not an issue for me.

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #839 of 1,442
I don't know if my A90 has a channel balance issue or i'm going crazy right now. I feel as if the right side is louder in my headphones, this song is an example

It feels louder on my right side. Does it happen for anyone else? or does my A90 need to be returned.

Strange, at which gain setting and volume is this, what kind of headphones and DAC?

Perhaps you should check with @JohnYang1997 on audiosciencereview He is really friendly and I believe he is Topping designer/engineer.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #840 of 1,442
Strange, at which gain setting and volume is this, what kind of headphones and DAC?

Perhaps you should check with @JohnYang1997 on audiosciencereview He is really friendly and I believe he is Topping designer/engineer.
No need, asked a few people it's how tyhe song is mastered. Vocals aren't centered thus giving off the vibe right side is louder. Focal Utopia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back