Topping A90 Discrete aka A90D
Dec 13, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #586 of 807
Criticism of any small device that pretending to be "giant killer" by audiophiles is result of dogmats that audiophiles has been feeded for years.
To be simple and precise:
"the bigger, the better".
People in my opinion just can not except that technology evolves and it`s not 70`s anymore ( "cause back in a days amps played with soul and heart" :D )

Dec 13, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #587 of 807
But making some crazy theory why A90D measures great but sounds not so much is funny, cause measurement prove that A90D doesn`t sound. Overall distortion is -30db below human hearing, there are on 2nd and 3rd harmonics to interfere, there is plenty of power to drive basically anything on the market.

May I know what's other amp that also "has no sound" that you have tested?

Last time I checked, the well measured Singxer SA-1 and Topping A90 still sound different when compared to A90D. I never known any "no sound" amp so far.

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #588 of 807
Dec 14, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #590 of 807
May I know what's other amp that also "has no sound" that you have tested?

Last time I checked, the well measured Singxer SA-1 and Topping A90 still sound different when compared to A90D. I never known any "no sound" amp so far.
I think what he meant by "no sound" means that there is very little coloration of the sound. I'd hate to refer to ASR measurement, but there are some differences between A90, SA-1, and A90D in terms of distortion characteristics against output voltage/power. Not to mention that SA-1 is Class A/AB hybrid as well, so it will definitely sound different.

I guess the benchmark for having no coloration would be comparing it to a pro-grade mastering equipment, like RME ADI-2. I haven't tried it personally as there aren't any demo unit near me, but I spoke to a couple of audio engineers who tried both Topping D90-A90 stack and RME ADI-2, they said that Topping setup is somewhat a 'budget' version of RME. A bunch of online comments also agreed with that sentiment, so I went with A90 last year. That said, it is probably the reason why some people (including myself) prefer A90D to A90 since A90D is probably having more of the nice-sounding distortions that is absent in A90, but still overall very reference-sounding.

Worth upgrading my A90 to the discrete? I feel like I'm better off saving the money for whatever complete revision will be released in the next year.
Depends on your needs. I like using IEMs with my desktop setup and sometimes I find the channel imbalance with A90 at lower volume to be quite annoying. I went to upgrade to A90D primarily because of that. I also like having the extra power too. To me personally, A90D brought some improvements in some headphones, some doesn't really change. I guess if I didn't manage to find a buyer for my A90, I won't upgrade to A90D.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #591 of 807
My experience with the Hifiman HE6se v2 (83 dB/mW at 50 Ohms) was OK. No problem getting a high volme at high gain with SE connection to the D30 Pro DAC. The HE6se is famous for needing a lot of power, Hifiman recommends at least two watts.

So are you running the D30pro dac into an A90D?

I just bought an open box A90D off Apos (on the way). I figured my Modi3 wouldn’t be a great DAC for it so I just ordered a D30pro on Amazon (like new) for $200. Mainly because it looks similar and the price was great. Some people claiming it’s a
Smoother sounding dac as well because of the chip. Is it a good pairing with A90D?

The matching 90Le dac was just too much for my blood, especially because I have Arya headphones on the way.

With so many variables, new dac, head amp and new headphones, it will be impossible to tell where the difference is as I am new to headphone amps. I’ve only had vintage gear and have been running my HD650s, Sundaras and DT1990pros off my Marantz 2245.

Dec 20, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #592 of 807
I guess the benchmark for having no coloration would be comparing it to a pro-grade mastering equipment, like RME ADI-2. I haven't tried it personally as there aren't any demo unit near me, but I spoke to a couple of audio engineers who tried both Topping D90-A90 stack and RME ADI-2, they said that Topping setup is somewhat a 'budget' version of RME. A bunch of online comments also agreed with that sentiment, so I went with A90 last year.

We all hear things differently, and individual circumstances obviously vary quite a bit. I can only share my experiences.

I've had the RME ADI-2 and a Topping A90D and D90SE stack in the house at the same time. As well as my Benchmark DAC3 HGC.

I thought the DAC3 and ADI-2 sounded fairly similar as DACs. I'm sure there are differences, but I'd have to consciously hunt for them and educate my mind to be able to discern them.

The D90SE just sounded... different. High (over) emphasized detail. I wouldn't describe it as smooth. In fact, I found it pretty damned hard and fatiguing with some headphones. But with some other combinations, as a clinical detail fiend, I enjoyed it. I didn't find it to be the end all be all though when it came to detail, maybe I was expecting too much. But the detail that it presented just made me think "so what". There certainly was more perceived "detail" relative to my DAC3, but it just didn't add to my experience of the music in the same way other highly resolving DACs (I'm thinking of my old Chord DAC64 mk II and Blu) have.

The A90D to me has a distinct sound, which I like a lot. It does sound powerful, punchy, super well defined. Surprisingly "warm", or a touch thick-ish sounding. I don't know if I'd call it neutral or lacking in color. To me it has its own signature relative to everything else I own.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #593 of 807
Is it the same power output on the 4.4 pentacon and the XLR or is the XLR input outputting more power?

Dec 22, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #594 of 807
Dec 23, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #595 of 807
A90D/D90LE stack arriving next week. Any interoperability between the two remotes? Also, I see an available (aluminum) replacement for the D90's RC-22, but nada for the A90D's RC-16A. Really? Not even a direct replacement seems available.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #596 of 807
A90D/D90LE stack arriving next week. Any interoperability between the two remotes? Also, I see an available (aluminum) replacement for the D90's RC-22, but nada for the A90D's RC-16A. Really? Not even a direct replacement seems available.
I really wish there was a replacement remote

Jan 7, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #599 of 807
Sandu from Soundnews is a reviewer whose opinion I respect... I agree with his review of the A90D - it's the real deal and probably the best bang for buck as far as high-end headphone amps go. Keep in mind he scored it the same as Burson Soloist 3X GT, at 93/100...
Had the A90D on my rack for 36+ hours, miles ahead of the 789 - which is a thin line in the middle of your head; the A90D is all encompassing and all around the head.
For burn-in skeptics, look away - straight out of the box the bass seemed too powerful and at times muddying the rest of the frequency range. I left it overnight playing white noise and sounded linear the morning after.. whether it was the discrete components settling in or brain burn-in, that is best left for the reader to decide!
In my chain as a preamp to my OTL amp is fantastic - clean sound, good imaging and soundstage.

My one gripe was I thought it was way too quiet out of the box - thought it was defective actually - I had to read the manual to find out that you can customise the volume curves used - option 5 maxes out at -40dB while option 1 is the loudest at 0 dB at 99 steps.
Out of the box was already at firmware 2.4 which was nice, driving my Sennheiser HD800S at low gain at around 70/99 on the volume. Single ended, which sounds the same as balanced to my ears (unlike the 789 which is basically XLR only!)

edit: Sandu's review - https://soundnews.net/amplifiers/headphone-amps/topping-a90-discrete-review-forging-ahead/

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #600 of 807
Sandu from Soundnews is a reviewer whose opinion I respect... I agree with his review of the A90D - it's the real deal and probably the best bang for buck as far as high-end headphone amps go. Keep in mind he scored it the same as Burson Soloist 3X GT, at 93/100...
Had the A90D on my rack for 36+ hours, miles ahead of the 789 - which is a thin line in the middle of your head; the A90D is all encompassing and all around the head.
For burn-in skeptics, look away - straight out of the box the bass seemed too powerful and at times muddying the rest of the frequency range. I left it overnight playing white noise and sounded linear the morning after.. whether it was the discrete components settling in or brain burn-in, that is best left for the reader to decide!
As a preamp to my OTL amp is fantastic - clean sound, good imaging and soundstage.

My one gripe was I thought it was way too quiet out of the box - thought it was defective actually - I had to read the manual to find out that you can customise the volume curves used - option 5 maxes out a -40dB while option 1 is the loudest at 0 dB at 99 steps.
Out of the box was already at firmware 2.4 which was nice, driving my Sennheiser HD800S at low gain at around 70/99 on the volume. Single ended, which sounds the same as balanced to my ears (unlike the 789 which is basically XLR only!)

edit: Sandu's review - https://soundnews.net/amplifiers/headphone-amps/topping-a90-discrete-review-forging-ahead/
Its funny you know. Sandu rates it as good as benchmark hpa 4 and many guys rate benchmark as top tier amp, atleast when it comes technicalities.
Many snobs for some reason look down on it, with arguments about switchers while 13k Dave also have switcher, Burson also have a switcher, but no one bats an eye.
Sandu is honest guy, he tells it how it is, doesnt use price as performance indication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back