Topping A90 Discrete aka A90D
Jan 8, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #601 of 807
Sandu from Soundnews is a reviewer whose opinion I respect... I agree with his review of the A90D - it's the real deal and probably the best bang for buck as far as high-end headphone amps go. Keep in mind he scored it the same as Burson Soloist 3X GT, at 93/100...
Had the A90D on my rack for 36+ hours, miles ahead of the 789 - which is a thin line in the middle of your head; the A90D is all encompassing and all around the head.
For burn-in skeptics, look away - straight out of the box the bass seemed too powerful and at times muddying the rest of the frequency range. I left it overnight playing white noise and sounded linear the morning after.. whether it was the discrete components settling in or brain burn-in, that is best left for the reader to decide!
In my chain as a preamp to my OTL amp is fantastic - clean sound, good imaging and soundstage.

My one gripe was I thought it was way too quiet out of the box - thought it was defective actually - I had to read the manual to find out that you can customise the volume curves used - option 5 maxes out at -40dB while option 1 is the loudest at 0 dB at 99 steps.
Out of the box was already at firmware 2.4 which was nice, driving my Sennheiser HD800S at low gain at around 70/99 on the volume. Single ended, which sounds the same as balanced to my ears (unlike the 789 which is basically XLR only!)

edit: Sandu's review - https://soundnews.net/amplifiers/headphone-amps/topping-a90-discrete-review-forging-ahead/
Friends! No need to deceive yourself. The Soloist GT is much better than the A90D. Both amplifiers live in my installation for half a year.
The main advantages of the Soloist GT over the A90D:
1. Deeper and more punchy bass and sub bass.
2. More holographic and realistic scene, in depth, width, height.
3. Excellent afterglow of musical instruments and realistic sound attenuation effects.
4. Much more emotionality in the musical presentation.
5. Ability to work well with most headphones. I managed to listen to the following headphones with this amplifier: Susvara, 1266 TC, DC Stealth, HE 1000 SE, LCD-XC, fostex 610. All headphones sounded good from this amplifier. I had no complaints about the sound. At the same time, the A90D works well (to my ears) only with DC Stealth and fostex 610. The amplifier either didn't have enough power to work with the rest of the headphones, or the sound was very dry and extremely uncomfortable.
The main advantages of the A90D over the Soloist GT: 1. Price. 2. Volume control. 3. No active cooling system.

p.s.
I bought the A90D after reading and watching enough reviews on this device. I was sure that with its purchase I would be able to save money and send the Violectric V590 and Soloist GT for sale. But according to the results of numerous comparisons, the A90D will be sent for sale. And in this case, I don't regret anything.

Jan 8, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #602 of 807
Friends! No need to deceive yourself. The Soloist GT is much better than the A90D. Both amplifiers live in my installation for half a year.
3. Excellent afterglow of musical instruments and realistic sound attenuation effects.
That sounds about right! Soloist GT is also on my list for later this year. I like the transparent, dry sound and will be rolling op-amps in the GT to achieve that sound.
Happy new year :)

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #603 of 807
That sounds about right! Soloist GT is also on my list for later this year. I like the transparent, dry sound and will be rolling op-amps in the GT to achieve that sound.
Happy new year :)
A small addition.
It is very important that I am understood correctly. I don't think the A90D is a bad amplifier. This is definitely one of the best amplifiers up to $600. BUT, if you are ready to spend more money on your favorite hobby, you definitely need to go further (for example: Violectric 340/550, Niimbus, Holo Bliss, Soloist GT, Ferrum Orr+Hipsos, Flux Volot).

p.s.
I compared the A90D with the Singxer SA-1. To my ear, the A90D sounds better (higher speed, higher resolution, better sound texture).

Jan 8, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #604 of 807
A small addition.

It is very important that I am understood correctly. I don't think the A90D is a bad amplifier. This is definitely one of the best amplifiers up to $600. BUT, if you are ready to spend more money on your favorite hobby, you definitely need to go further (for example: Violectric 340/550, Niimbus, Holo Bliss, Soloist GT, Ferrum Orr+Hipsos, Flux Volot).

p.s.

I compared the A90D with the Singxer SA-1. To my ear, the A90D sounds better (higher speed, higher resolution, better sound texture).

A small addition.

p.s.
Nice impressions. What is rest of your setup? Like dac, source? Cables.

Jan 8, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #605 of 807
Nice impressions. What is rest of your setup? Like dac, source? Cables.
Added information in the signature.

At the moment I use the simplest and most affordable cables.
USB - copper and silver-plated OCС with Aliexpress.
RCA and XLR wires - copper OCC with Aliexpress.
Power cables - are the default.

Jan 8, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #606 of 807
So are you running the D30pro dac into an A90D?

I just bought an open box A90D off Apos (on the way). I figured my Modi3 wouldn’t be a great DAC for it so I just ordered a D30pro on Amazon (like new) for $200. Mainly because it looks similar and the price was great. Some people claiming it’s a
Smoother sounding dac as well because of the chip. Is it a good pairing with A90D?

The matching 90Le dac was just too much for my blood, especially because I have Arya headphones on the way.

With so many variables, new dac, head amp and new headphones, it will be impossible to tell where the difference is as I am new to headphone amps. I’ve only had vintage gear and have been running my HD650s, Sundaras and DT1990pros off my Marantz 2245.
Let us know what you think of your new setup when you have a chance to play them all in.....

Jan 8, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #607 of 807
So are you running the D30pro dac into an A90D?

I just bought an open box A90D off Apos (on the way). I figured my Modi3 wouldn’t be a great DAC for it so I just ordered a D30pro on Amazon (like new) for $200. Mainly because it looks similar and the price was great. Some people claiming it’s a
Smoother sounding dac as well because of the chip. Is it a good pairing with A90D?

The matching 90Le dac was just too much for my blood, especially because I have Arya headphones on the way.

With so many variables, new dac, head amp and new headphones, it will be impossible to tell where the difference is as I am new to headphone amps. I’ve only had vintage gear and have been running my HD650s, Sundaras and DT1990pros off my Marantz 2245.
Just noticed this and wanted to share my experience as a warning- I started about 18 months ago in the hobby in a similar way and kept adding gear of different sorts to complement what I had eg I started out with Drop 6XX and a IFI Zen stack them added some IEMs and before I knew it I was down the rabbit hole (which is a very appropriate simile for audiophiles). I learned a lot and the folks on this forum are fantastic generous and helpful, and I enjoyed all the gear I bought (at least at first). But adding new stuff too fast makes it hard to fully appreciate how it all pairs and complements, and now I’m having to sell stuff (even highly rated stuff) that didn’t fit with the rest. My sophomore advice is simply ‘go slow and enjoy the ride’ - take the time to fully appreciate the synergies, you can always add something down the road when you have fully considered what gap you are trying to fill. And always ‘enjoy the music’ .

Btw I find the A90D a fantastic piece, especially when paired with a good source and revealing HPs. The D90SE stack with them works well with the Arya and other HIFIMAN HPs-though I think source matters a lot. I am running the chain on Roon out of a Sonore Optical Rendu (Ethernet in, USB out) and use DSP/ EQ profile from HEADPHONEs.com’s Chronos.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #608 of 807
I am currently running the A90D with the D90. I was looking at upgrading to the Ifi Pro Ican Signature however, I dont think there will be much point in doing so. The A90D has immense power to run my Audeze LCD 4 and I think it will be better to purchase the ZMF Verete Open or Hifiman HE1000 V2 to add to my collection instead of buying another amp that I don't really need to upgrade.

Jan 9, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #609 of 807
Let us know what you think of your new setup when you have a chance to play them all in.....
So I have been able to compare the A90d to the Burson Soloist 3XP (twice the cost). One of them is going back.

A90D and 3XP sound the same to my 46 year old ears. The only obvious differences is in soundstage and imaging. The 3XP is very holographic and encompassing on my Aryas. I feel like I’m in the room and music is coming at me from above, behind and in front of me. The A90D does not do this and sounds very 2 dimensional in comparison. I would describe it as shallow from front to back. 3XP has a lot of depth though so the A90D may not be as bad compared to others in its price bracket.

I am using a SMSL D300 DAC for both headlamps. It has a Rohm chip and is known for more soundstage and depth than other Chinese DACs.

Jan 9, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #610 of 807
The 3XP is very holographic and encompassing on my Aryas. I feel like I’m in the room and music is coming at me from above, behind and in front of me. The A90D does not do this and sounds very 2 dimensional in comparison.
Therein lies some of the differences between having a full listening experience vs just listening to headphones. What HPs are you listening with......?

Jan 10, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #611 of 807
4. Much more emotionality in the musical presentation.
5. Ability to work well with most headphones. I managed to listen to the following headphones with this amplifier: Susvara, 1266 TC, DC Stealth, HE 1000 SE, LCD-XC, fostex 610. All headphones sounded good from this amplifier. I had no complaints about the sound. At the same time, the A90D works well (to my ears) only with DC Stealth and fostex 610. The amplifier either didn't have enough power to work with the rest of the headphones, or the sound was very dry and extremely uncomfortable.
The main advantages of the A90D over the Soloist GT: 1. Price. 2. Volume control. 3. No active cooling system.

p.s.
I bought the A90D after reading and watching enough reviews on this device. I was sure that with its purchase I would be able to save money and send the Violectric V590 and Soloist GT for sale. But according to the results of numerous comparisons, the A90D will be sent for sale. And in this case, I don't regret anything.
Will be great if you can share some impressions of V590 (amp section) vs the A90D and Soloist GT, specifically is the GT better in some way over the V590 or vice versa

Btw great collection of high end gears 🙂

Jan 10, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #612 of 807
Therein lies some of the differences between having a full listening experience vs just listening to headphones. What HPs are you listening with......?
Aryas were the ones I was referring to. However, there are also benefits using my HD600 and DT1990Pros

Honestly, the comparison of the Burson Soloisty 3XP to the A90D is not a fair one. They are in completely different price categories. I also have the Burson Supercharger and the Burson is also in "Headamp mode" which takes it up another level.

That said, I like the A90D better in the following ways
-sleek looking case and display and stays cool
-4.4mm balanced
-better remote and easier to select menu options like preamp out
-RCA input jacks elevate volume far better from a turntable with preamp than my Burson which is like 1/2 the volume for some reason.
-Dont need clumsy adapters for RCA output like the Burson

I love the clicky clack volume control!

Btw, I will be posting my Silver A90D (new but open box) in the classifieds soon if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #613 of 807
Aryas were the ones I was referring to. However, there are also benefits using my HD600 and DT1990Pros

Honestly, the comparison of the Burson Soloisty 3XP to the A90D is not a fair one. They are in completely different price categories. I also have the Burson Supercharger and the Burson is also in "Headamp mode" which takes it up another level.

That said, I like the A90D better in the following ways
-sleek looking case and display and stays cool
-4.4mm balanced
-better remote and easier to select menu options like preamp out
-RCA input jacks elevate volume far better from a turntable with preamp than my Burson which is like 1/2 the volume for some reason.
-Dont need clumsy adapters for RCA output like the Burson

I love the clicky clack volume control!

Btw, I will be posting my Silver A90D (new but open box) in the classifieds soon if anyone is interested.
The old and all-time choices for audio enthusiasts: The choice between ultimate SQ....and convenience - or finding the balance between the two, LOL.....

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #614 of 807
I have had the Topping A90D for a few weeks now, really enamoured with this piece of tech.

For reference I previously used a Gustard P26 preamp, with Burson V6 Vivid swappable opamps (over $1000 AUD price tag not including the opamps at $100 AUD each) and the THX 789 ($600 AUD price tag at height of 789 mania, arrived to me on December 2019).

This thing is a better preamp than the Gustard P26 and a *much* better amp than the 789.

Layered, open soundstage that envelops the head, balanced tonality from bass to highs, *dynamic* and punchy, all the microdetails I would want and was previously missing. The staging is a little closer to the head than the P26/789 but so much more detailed and dynamic. The P26 with Burson opamps is wide but flat and not engaging, missing some detail also.

Despite the smallish, around the head soundstage, using it as a preamp to my tube amp is *so much* better than the P26 to the OTL La Figaro 339!
Dynamic and punchy, sparkly treble and thick bass hits, Large, all around the head soundstage and I have so much room for volume on tap! No matter where the volume is on the A90D the sound is not affected - this is not the case with the P26 as the Burson opamps can be quite warm and roll off the treble. With the absolute control of volume I now have, I don't have to push the tubes on my OTL amp as hard, reducing tube distortion / clipping and achieving a cleaner and much more detailed tube sound than with my previous preamp configuration.

I am currently using the A90D as a preamp to the OTL amp, at 77/99 on Low gain.
Being a logarithmic volume control, as a headphone amp the usable range is 48 to maybe 75/99, ranging from my Meze Rai Penta IEMs on the low end (4.4 balanced cable) to the HD800S (single ended cable). HEDDphone is on the way, but so is a balanced cable, so driving that is no longer a concern for this content audiophile!

Considering I paid $789 AUD (lol) for the Topping A90D, and... $1800 for the kitted out P26 / 789 combo, I can endorse the Topping A90D as it beats both of these at their own games! May be the last Topping product I get, I'm not a fan of their DACs coming from the D50 (using a Soekris 1421 DAC for a few years now) .. but I really enjoy the A90D!

P.S - I also really like the 'discrete' design aesthetic of no levers / switches on the front, and the clean LED dots for volume level and input/output selection.. very clean looking unit in my hi-fi rack..

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #615 of 807
I have had the Topping A90D for a few weeks now, really enamoured with this piece of tech.

For reference I previously used a Gustard P26 preamp, with Burson V6 Vivid swappable opamps (over $1000 AUD price tag not including the opamps at $100 AUD each) and the THX 789 ($600 AUD price tag at height of 789 mania, arrived to me on December 2019).

This thing is a better preamp than the Gustard P26 and a *much* better amp than the 789.

Layered, open soundstage that envelops the head, balanced tonality from bass to highs, *dynamic* and punchy, all the microdetails I would want and was previously missing. The staging is a little closer to the head than the P26/789 but so much more detailed and dynamic. The P26 with Burson opamps is wide but flat and not engaging, missing some detail also.

Despite the smallish, around the head soundstage, using it as a preamp to my tube amp is *so much* better than the P26 to the OTL La Figaro 339!
Dynamic and punchy, sparkly treble and thick bass hits, Large, all around the head soundstage and I have so much room for volume on tap! No matter where the volume is on the A90D the sound is not affected - this is not the case with the P26 as the Burson opamps can be quite warm and roll off the treble. With the absolute control of volume I now have, I don't have to push the tubes on my OTL amp as hard, reducing tube distortion / clipping and achieving a cleaner and much more detailed tube sound than with my previous preamp configuration.

I am currently using the A90D as a preamp the OTL amp, at 77/99 on Low gain.
Being a logarithmic volume control, as a headphone amp the usable range is 48 to maybe 75/99, ranging from my Meze Rai Penta IEMs on the low end (4.4 balanced cable) to the HD800S (single ended cable). HEDDphone is on the way, but so is a balanced cable, so driving that is no longer a concern for this content audiophile!

Considering I paid $789 AUD (lol) for the Topping A90D, and... $1800 for the kitted out P26 / 789 combo, I can endorse the Topping A90D as it beats both of these at their own games! May be the last Topping product I get, I'm not a fan of their DACs coming from the D50 (using a Soekris 1421 DAC for a few years now) .. but I really enjoy the A90D!

P.S - I also really like the 'discrete' design aesthetic of no levers / switches on the front, and the clean LED dots for volume level and input/output selection.. very clean looking unit in my hi-fi rack.
Thank you so much for this very good user impression. I was contemplating purchasing a Denafrips Pontus II R2R DAC and to use the A90D with it as a Pre-Amp but that DAC has output impedance of 1250 ohms and the A90D input impedance is 2k (on XLR outputs). I am no audio engineer but became aware in another thread that there is a Damping Effect to be taken in consideration that may affect signal transmission from DAC to amp (although usually discussed relevant to amp to headphone signal transmission), where the ratio of input impedance (amp) to output impedance (dac) should be as high as possible, preferably > 8:1, to avoid signal distortion. I looked at the P26 which has a has a high ratio in relation to the Pontus II but I did not favour that pre-amp for other reasons - so I shelved the decision to buy the Pontus II, and am still thinking about what to do in that regard. But I too think the A90D would be a fantastic pre-amp for a DAC with low enough output impedance. I own the A90D and also enjoy its punch especially in the low end.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back