Topping A90 Discrete aka A90D
Jan 27, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #632 of 807
Funny Idea
I have had this chain in place for a while:
D90SE-> Douk Audio P1 with GE JAN 5654 tubes -> A90D (all single-ended). Adds a bit of ‘tube-iness” ie prolonged decay and a exaggerated sense of space, albeit with less precise imaging. Works best for me with mid-fi gear ie LCD-X, Arya though pretty good with 6XX also— admittedly not for everyone or always. For some genres eg female vocals in my experience it adds a bit of magic and atmosphere eg w/ Diana Krall. YMMV.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #634 of 807
I own the Schiit Ragnarok V1. Unfortunately, it cannot be used for my in-ears because the noise is too high. In addition, the Discrete should sound "better". Unfortunately, topping is also on the neutral unspectacular side and I'd like to bring some warmth into my dark-tuned headphones. If I buy a tube preamp or something like that I would be around $1300-1500. That's also why I would prefer a pure amp solution

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #636 of 807
I have not tried, but from reviews the balanced out of the Schiit jot 2 is quiet enough for iem’s. It’s even cheaper at $400.

I have the Sa-1, which works very well with iem’s, and with the jumper mod you might be able to get the power you’re looking for. I let go of a soloist 3xp for similar noise floor issues. Great amp, but I’ve been listening more to iems, and I find it’s overkill.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #642 of 807
Is the A90D worth 200€ more than the normal A90 used? And is there an alternative around 600 that sounds more musical?

From my point of view, not really.
Maybe if you listen to a lot of IEMs, the new stepped relay volume control is the best, but other than that not really bursting with innovations compared to the A90.

Jan 31, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #645 of 807
The Vision Ears VE8 is my daily driver and im planning to get more customs
In this case it might be, If you plan on listening a lot to IEMs.
Points that I saw interesting when A90D was announced are the following:
- ground lift switch on the back of the unit, in case you need it because you have a lot of ground loops in your system
- new stepped relay volume control which gets you the remote controlled volume and volume display

If you think they will benefit you, then it might be worth it.
For me, it wasn't so I am still using my original A90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back