Topping A90 Discrete aka A90D
Jan 31, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #646 of 807
In this case it might be, If you plan on listening a lot to IEMs.
Points that I saw interesting when A90D was announced are the following:
- ground lift switch on the back of the unit, in case you need it because you have a lot of ground loops in your system
- new stepped relay volume control which gets you the remote controlled volume and volume display

If you think they will benefit you, then it might be worth it.
For me, it wasn't so I am still using my original A90.
The A90D looks more Premium and unique to me. It also should a little bit warmer but also be hyper detail. I hope it is not too much of that. I wanna sink in my music, not sitting and counting the details. I prefer a smooth sounding component like my Holo Audio Spring 2 Dac

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #647 of 807
The A90D looks more Premium and unique to me. It also should a little bit warmer but also be hyper detail. I hope it is not too much of that. I wanna sink in my music, not sitting and counting the details. I prefer a smooth sounding component like my Holo Audio Spring 2 Dac

To me, it sounded a bit more tamed compared to my A90. I would not call it warm, but yeah, tamed and the details were there.

Jan 31, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #649 of 807
Is it fun to listen or more exhaustive with time? What Amp do you prefer compared to the A90D?
I would not say it is exhaustive as you listen more, but it depends also heavily on the headphones you pair it with. Paired with some really bright sounding headphones it might be too much on long listening sessions.

I prefer my A90, because I listen a lot on my Sennheiser headphones and I find the pairing to be very nice - not fatiguing, lots of punch when needed and lots of details. It depends also on the type of music you are listening to.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #651 of 807
Why you prefer of the A90D? My main Headphones are the Abyss Diana V2 "Dark" Sounding and VE8 "warm" sounding
Well, I prefer the A90 because it is cheaper nowadays and I do not need the “improvements” that A90D received. I control the volume through my pre-amp, so I don’t need a remote also for the amplifier nor a screen for that matter, I do not have any ground loops in my system and I do not listen to a lot of IEMs, so the relay controlled volume is not important for me.
I do not like the fact that they removed the mechanical switches from the front of the unit, I like them a lot on the original A90. Also, performance of A90 is more than enough for my use case.

I think that A90D will pair just fine with the headphones you listed above, since they are not “bright”.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #654 of 807
Received a90d today. It is DOA Dead on arrival with rattling inside and one of the feet on the bottom is missing and not even in the box.

Nothing better than going through what feels like an eternity waiting for the delivery date. Even better is the long wait on the day of delivery all to receive a device that doesn't work. 😑😔

20230210_010025_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #655 of 807
Received a90d today. It is DOA Dead on arrival with rattling inside and one of the feet on the bottom is missing and not even in the box.

Nothing better than going through what feels like an eternity waiting for the delivery date. Even better is the long wait on the day of delivery all to receive a device that doesn't work. 😑😔

Sorry to hear that. Where did you order it from? It should come nicely packed and secured in the OEM box.
I hope you are able to ship it back for an exchange or at least a money refund.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #656 of 807
Sorry to hear that. Where did you order it from? It should come nicely packed and secured in the OEM box.
It was nicely secured. The in the image, the foot should have been in the box if it fell off. It wasn't. Seems like it was just bad qa.

I've had some great experiences with Chifi but I've had some qa issues with a few of my chifi purchases tbh.

See:
20230210_010025_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #657 of 807
It was nicely secured. The in the image, the foot should have been in the box if it fell off. It wasn't. Seems like it was just bad qa.

I've had some great experiences with Chifi but I've had some qa issues with a few of my chifi purchases tbh.

See:

My bad, I read you sentence like the amplifier was not packed in a box when you were referring to the feet not being inside the box.
Whell, if you can return it you should go for it as fast as possible.

I did not have any issues until now, but I only own Topping D90SE and A90, also used to own the A90D all in great shape.
These are my only Chi-fi products, so not a very vast experience.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #658 of 807
My bad, I read you sentence like the amplifier was not packed in a box when you were referring to the feet not being inside the box.
Whell, if you can return it you should go for it as fast as possible.

I did not have any issues until now, but I only own Topping D90SE and A90, also used to own the A90D all in great shape.
These are my only Chi-fi products, so not a very vast experience.
Yes I'm a fan of topping but they've had serious qa issues in the past.

Feb 10, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #659 of 807
So I had quite the wild ride with this A90D...

12 hours into ownership I'm jamming away and I go hmm...don't remember this track being so right-sided. Volume also dropped out hard. 99% on the volume and not even remotely loud. Barely a normal listening level. Yup! A90D took a dump. No "pop" no abnormal pitched noise. Just left channel died on my Arya and volume dropped out mid track. It broke the left driver in my Arya on the single-ended unbalanced output. Zero audio output on my Arya. Tried swapping cables around, different amp, etc. Dead. What kind of recourse you think I have with Topping? You think they'll tell me to shove it or you think they'll try to compensate me for destroying my Arya in less than 12 hours of ownership? I'm out of warranty and had to pay Hifiman for a replacement (with shipping in my busted Arya).

Vendor definitely went "above and beyond" to try and right the ship the best they could. They offered replace vs return. I figured replace. I have the new A90D with the broken one still on my desk (it's going back tomorrow). Very trustworthy vendor to send a second one out without receiving broken product and without additional funds placed on hold. They also gave me a killer price on a new pair of headphones so I picked up the Focal Clear Mg. Breaking them in and using the XLR pathway on these. So here is A90D #2 with a pair of Focal Clear Mg while my Arya on a UPS truck back to Hifiman.

300863762_613779545783_6164218203590310103_n.jpg
DOA for me. It must sounds sublime for you to risk another pair of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back