Topping A90 Discrete aka A90D
Nov 19, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #541 of 807
what xlr cables do i need to connect the a90d and d90le?
I use Mogami Studio Golds, which work well for me. Recommended. Have not compared them ABX to others, but I find that the touted clarity and low end impact of tbe D90/A90D come thru fine.

Nov 20, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #544 of 807
Nov 20, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #545 of 807
I asked the Hart folks what they use for cabling and they told me

“We use oxygen free copper from Mogami for all of our cables. All of the connectors are gold-plated” so I think this is a great option, as none of the Mogami Studios are that short (they are really designed as mic cables and the shortest ones are adapted as interconnects— but for DAC-Amp connections the shorter the better).. The nice thing about Hart is if you need a particular length cable they will make it for you custom. They are GREAT folks- I had a cable with a loose connection recently that I sent back on warranty and they not only repaired the one I returned but gave me another one to boot. Can’t sing their praises highly enough!

Nov 20, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #546 of 807
I asked the Hart folks what they use for cabling and they told me

“We use oxygen free copper from Mogami for all of our cables. All of the connectors are gold-plated” so I think this is a great option, as none of the Mogami Studios are that short (they are really designed as mic cables and the shortest ones are adapted as interconnects— but for DAC-Amp connections the shorter the better).. The nice thing about Hart is if you need a particular length cable they will make it for you custom. They are GREAT folks- I had a cable with a loose connection recently that I sent back on warranty and they not only repaired the one I returned but gave me another one to boot. Can’t sing their praises highly enough!
Same experience for me with Hart Audio Cables... These guys are providing excellent products and customer services.

Nov 29, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #547 of 807
Hi everyone, and apologies in advance if my question is too basic, but I can't figure out what to do.

The volume is very low, even at 99. Has anyone experienced this? Any guidance you can provide?

I bought a Topping A90 Discrete a couple of weeks ago. I'm using a Macbook Pro or a Fiio M11Pro as the sources connected via RCA to the Amp. I tried multiple headphones, including an Azure LCD2C and the Hifiman Arya. I checked the volume of the sources, and they are at their max.

I don't know whether I'm doing something wrong or the unit is not working properly.

I have a Chord Mojo, and it works perfectly compared to the Topping A90D

Thank you in advance.

Nov 29, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #548 of 807
Hi everyone, and apologies in advance if my question is too basic, but I can't figure out what to do.

The volume is very low, even at 99. Has anyone experienced this? Any guidance you can provide?

I bought a Topping A90 Discrete a couple of weeks ago. I'm using a Macbook Pro or a Fiio M11Pro as the sources connected via RCA to the Amp. I tried multiple headphones, including an Azure LCD2C and the Hifiman Arya. I checked the volume of the sources, and they are at their max.

I don't know whether I'm doing something wrong or the unit is not working properly.

Thank you in advance.
So we can help you, pls clarify
1) how are you connecting the cable from the sources into the A90D?
2) what are the settings of the A90D (gain, HP mode)?
3) are you using LineOut from your source devices - for MacBook, are you using the ‘headphone out’ (seems so, since you don’t mention a DAC between MacBook and A90D, the more typical setup would be MacBook -> USB out -> DAC -> RCA out-> A 90D.
4) how are you connecting the HPs to A90D?

I’m guessing either your gain is too low on A90D for your sources output power, or your connections are faulty somehow.

Nov 29, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #549 of 807
1) mini plug to RCA cable
2) HP
3) Headphone out, I tried lineout from my Fiio M11pro and got the same results.
4) SE

IMG_2377.JPG
IMG_2378.JPG

Nov 29, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #550 of 807
1) mini plug to RCA cable
2) HP
3) Headphone out, I tried lineout from my Fiio M11pro and got the same results.
4) SE

For ‘gain’ there are 3 levels -low, med, high. What is your gain on A90D (must be set in the settings menu, there is no gain switch). Some sources need higher or lower gain

Nov 29, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #552 of 807
I'm only able to switch between L and H. It's in H, volume is still low :frowning2:

Thank you for your patience!
Have you been able to get normal volume out using ANY source? Is it the same out of all HP outs (4.4 mm balanced, 4-pin balanced, SE out?) there have been some issues with SE out on the HPs, but mostly with the unit turning itself off not too low volume- there is a firmware update that needs to be uploaded from your computer to the flash drive in A90D while the unit is turned off.

HOWEVER
I would advise you to avoid plugging in expensive HPs at this point till you sort this out- see post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/topping-a90-discrete-aka-a90d.963858/page-16#post-17111288 on this thread- directions for firmware 2.4 update follow.

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #554 of 807

Thank you in advance.
Check whether you are on volume curve 1. Mine came out of the box with volume curve 3.

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #555 of 807
Check whether you are on volume curve 1. Mine came out of the box with volume curve 3.
From an ASR post on the subject

“By pressing "B" on the remote, you can change this curves, and I was finally able to listen… the user manual provided on the internet don't have this information and states that the "B" button on the remote is an "invalid button"...so if you happen to have the same problem, just use the "B" on the remote.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back