Topping A90 Discrete aka A90D
Aug 23, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #226 of 807
I'm really intrigued by this amp and keep wondering about this and the Benchmark HPA4 as TOTL solid state amps.

My current solid state amp is my RME ADI2 DAC and I'm really wondering if the Topping would be a step up vs. my built-in amp in my RME.

Aug 23, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #227 of 807
Z is completely full of schiit, IMO. He he ranted and raved about how great the Rode NTH-100 headphones were. I decide to give them a try and they sounded like total dogschiit to me.

Just my very biased opinion, of course. YMMV (maybe a little bit).
I wish anybody with fidelice and topping a90d could confirm his a sellout. Not that Im gonna buy the a90d. I just cant handle return/refunds(poor QC) I rather wait and save money for some real quality amp

Aug 23, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #231 of 807
So I had quite the wild ride with this A90D...

12 hours into ownership I'm jamming away and I go hmm...don't remember this track being so right-sided. Volume also dropped out hard. 99% on the volume and not even remotely loud. Barely a normal listening level. Yup! A90D took a dump. No "pop" no abnormal pitched noise. Just left channel died on my Arya and volume dropped out mid track. It broke the left driver in my Arya on the single-ended unbalanced output. Zero audio output on my Arya. Tried swapping cables around, different amp, etc. Dead. What kind of recourse you think I have with Topping? You think they'll tell me to shove it or you think they'll try to compensate me for destroying my Arya in less than 12 hours of ownership? I'm out of warranty and had to pay Hifiman for a replacement (with shipping in my busted Arya).

Vendor definitely went "above and beyond" to try and right the ship the best they could. They offered replace vs return. I figured replace. I have the new A90D with the broken one still on my desk (it's going back tomorrow). Very trustworthy vendor to send a second one out without receiving broken product and without additional funds placed on hold. They also gave me a killer price on a new pair of headphones so I picked up the Focal Clear Mg. Breaking them in and using the XLR pathway on these. So here is A90D #2 with a pair of Focal Clear Mg while my Arya on a UPS truck back to Hifiman.

300863762_613779545783_6164218203590310103_n.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #232 of 807
So I had quite the wild ride with this A90D...

12 hours into ownership I'm jamming away and I go hmm...don't remember this track being so right-sided. Volume also dropped out hard. 99% on the volume and not even remotely loud. Barely a normal listening level. Yup! A90D took a dump. No "pop" no abnormal pitched noise. Just left channel died on my Arya and volume dropped out mid track. It broke the left driver in my Arya on the single-ended unbalanced output. Zero audio output on my Arya. Tried swapping cables around, different amp, etc. Dead. What kind of recourse you think I have with Topping? You think they'll tell me to shove it or you think they'll try to compensate me for destroying my Arya in less than 12 hours of ownership? I'm out of warranty and had to pay Hifiman for a replacement (with shipping in my busted Arya).

Vendor definitely went "above and beyond" to try and right the ship the best they could. They offered replace vs return. I figured replace. I have the new A90D with the broken one still on my desk (it's going back tomorrow). Very trustworthy vendor to send a second one out without receiving broken product and without additional funds placed on hold. They also gave me a killer price on a new pair of headphones so I picked up the Focal Clear Mg. Breaking them in and using the XLR pathway on these. So here is A90D #2 with a pair of Focal Clear Mg while my Arya on a UPS truck back to Hifiman.

300863762_613779545783_6164218203590310103_n.jpg
Sad to hear your experience. I advise updating the firmware immediately to V2.4 to mitigate the popping/restarting issue just to be sure: https://www.topping.audio/newsinfo/686950.html

Aug 23, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #233 of 807
Sad to hear your experience. I advise updating the firmware immediately to V2.4 to mitigate the popping/restarting issue just to be sure: https://www.topping.audio/newsinfo/686950.html

I was on 2.4 when it took a crap on me. Both the 1st and 2nd unit came on V2.3. I'm on 2.4 on the current one however since Focal Clear Mg come with XLR cable I'm running balanced. Holy crap is balanced loud. 44% more than sufficient volume.

Aug 23, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #234 of 807
I was going to suggest Periapt as a cheap - but good - option. There's also Apos Flow XLR HP cables that are ready-made/mass produced. It's on Apos' website. Yeah, agreed that most planars are known for having good bass over nearly all dynamics - it's in their wheelhouse and what they do very well as one of the main benefits of planar topology - even planar speakers when given enough power.

You're scaring me by having any liquid on the same tabletop and nearby your electronics. The very definition of liquid death, LOL!!!!

I'll check out the other vendor you mentioned. Although my Arya are broke now thanks to this amp (just scroll up a post or two to read about that). As for the drinks, yeah the more alcohol, the more prone to spilling lol. Nothing like some wine (or whiskey) and sitting back and enjoy. I don't bother with critical listening. Life's too short. I just want to be taken elsewhere with the alcohol and the music! :L3000:

Aug 24, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #235 of 807
I'm very impressed by the Topping stack: U90->D90LE->A90D. It's precise, powerful, and musical. The A90D has enough juice to make the Susvara sing. I never wanted to EQ this chain with these headphones. A90D is a great solid state amp for its price. I definitely cannot call it "flat-sounding, overly-analytical or lifeless". A very enjoyable experience!

PXL_20220820_044534195.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220820_044534195.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 24, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #236 of 807
I'm very impressed by the Topping stack: U90->D90LE->A90D. It's precise, powerful, and musical. The A90D has enough juice to make the Susvara sing. I never wanted to EQ this chain with these headphones. A90D is a great solid state amp for its price. I definitely cannot call it "flat-sounding, overly-analytical or lifeless". A very enjoyable experience!

Wow, that's high praise if it's the Susvara that you're judging the system through. Out of curiosity - what other amps have you tried with the Susvara and which one is your favourite?

Aug 24, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #238 of 807
Order placed, now which DAC will go best with this, options I am currently thinking of D90 / Denafrips Ares II?

Will be great to have some opinions or experiences.
Have a look at my post/review here. I hope that it's of some use to you.

Aug 24, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #239 of 807
Wow, that's high praise if it's the Susvara that you're judging the system through. Out of curiosity - what other amps have you tried with the Susvara and which one is your favourite?
I've tried the Susvara with all the amps you see in my signature. Most of them are not powerful enough to make these headphones perform properly. As of now, my favorite amps for the Susvara are the McIntosh MHA200, Flux Volot, and the A90D is not far behind those two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back