Topping A90 Discrete aka A90D
Sep 29, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #436 of 807
@Povell42

The position of the volume control says nothing about the max. power of an amplifier. It also does not allow direct comparisons, as you have done.
The volume control of the A90D, can also be adjusted in five steps with respect to its sensitivity.
I do have the A90D on volume curve 1, on High gain.

I was assuming that the way the R2R volume control works, handled the mW level differently. I guess its a phycological effect for me.

So, the A90D has an exponential volume curve, while the other my be more linear? Is that a mathematical way to explain it? I get a little confused with translating all the electrical type explanations.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #437 of 807
It is always the question which gain the manufacturer has chosen before the amp output stage.
In addition, the bal. input signal must be 4Vrms.
If an album is mastered quietly, like the Mo-Fi stuff for example, your at 100 and must still work with the preamp gain (if you can).
The power specifications are already credible.

Topping A90 Discrete Measurements Power into 32 ohm Headphone Amp Preamplifier Balanced.png

Sep 29, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #438 of 807
Sep 29, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #439 of 807
I am starting to realize going with a "separate component" set-up, while intermixing brands gets confusing. While the headphone amp in the A90D is something I was interested in.... The inspiration to purchased it was to act as a preamp to my speaker amps. I am waiting on my Orchard Audio Starkrimson mono block amps to arrive and I plan to use the A90D as its preamp. So needing to pre-amp my A90D "preamp" sounds redundant.
Does anyone know if the A90D preamp feature would be a good match for the Orchard Audio, Starkrimson Monoblock amps - I got the 21.5dB upgrade, with the 300W GaN power supply. I know the A90D Preamp (balanced output) has a 40 ohm load impedance. The input impedance for the amps is 44k.

Can someone with the knowledge confirm that those impendences match well? or will I have any issues with synergy?

1664473881111.png

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #440 of 807
I nearly max out the A90D with Hifiman HE400-i can't figure out why it's not loud . Gain H and Gain step is set at 1?

USB out laptop exclusive mode and J2 DAC XLR in to A90D SE out to HE400i volume loudest?

What I am doing wrong?

Edit at 73 it gets loud and 82 really loud is it me normal?
Sounds freaking awesome with the AK4493 J2 omg

Edit #2 - Out of the Hiby R6 2020 Gain High Volume at 100, I can max out volume on the A90D something's wrong the A90 was supposed to have crap loads of power?

Attachments

• 20220929_200846.jpg
    20220929_200846.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #441 of 807
The volume controls voltage gain, not current gain. Power, in Watts, is voltage x current.

This is why you can get a static shock of millions of volts, but it wont kill you, yet a 110 (or 220) V power point will. The latter has vastly more power.

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #442 of 807
I nearly max out the A90D with Hifiman HE400-i can't figure out why it's not loud . Gain H and Gain step is set at 1?

USB out laptop exclusive mode and J2 DAC XLR in to A90D SE out to HE400i volume loudest?

What I am doing wrong?

Edit #2 - Out of the Hiby R6 2020 Gain High Volume at 100, I can max out volume on the A90D something's wrong the A90 was supposed to have crap loads of power?

I'm not an expert on power but seems like the J2 output is rated at 2.5Vrms even on XLR (though they don't seem to list that on their website so not sure about that). Commonly the output power of amps are measured with 4Vrms input. But again someone with more knowledge could shed more light how that would affect the output power.

So far I've been enjoying this amp quite a bit. I tend to have it on low gain around volume 50 for my headphones. (Balanced in and out)

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #443 of 807

What I am doing wrong?

I received my J2 yesterday - just checking, have you set the output on the J2 to the highest? I think that may be what you mean by gain step, so I'm sure you have. My Heddphones are loud enough at 60 on the A90D, haven't gone above 70. Love the J2/A90D combination so far.....

Sep 30, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #444 of 807
I received my J2 yesterday - just checking, have you set the output on the J2 to the highest? I think that may be what you mean by gain step, so I'm sure you have. My Heddphones are loud enough at 60 on the A90D, haven't gone above 70. Love the J2/A90D combination so far.....
My J2 is set at the loudest one led blink. I have a balanced cable coming that should help for the headphones. I think the He400I are power pigs.

Sep 30, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #445 of 807
I was concerned on the other end that there may be too much power for IEMs but that’s not the case at all. Running A90D connected to D90SE (unity gain , 5V out connected by 3’ Mogami Studio Gold XLRs) on L gain I can dial up volume into the 50s with no problem at all- even 80 is not too loud. No hiss anywhere in sight. No problem IEM users!

Oct 1, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #446 of 807
I have interest in this amp as a 789 upgrade but the SE pops and dead Arya give me pause. I seem to remember having a lowly topping amp die on me when I first started headphones. I don't know if I trust their QC.
Spending $600 and getting something with Topping printed on it just seems wrong in some way.

For what it's worth I'm with the objectivists and think that a lot of people just like how distortion sounds. Anyway, it does make for a spicy thread :wink:

Oct 1, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #447 of 807
My J2 is set at the loudest one led blink. I have a balanced cable coming that should help for the headphones. I think the He400I are power pigs.

If you are running them on SE output, that is a significant amount on mW lower than balanced output on the A90D.

I can get in the 80/90's volume with my Fostex T50 with lager pads, on the SE output.

Let us know your experience after you get the balanced cable.

Oct 1, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #448 of 807
I have interest in this amp as a 789 upgrade but the SE pops and dead Arya give me pause. I seem to remember having a lowly topping amp die on me when I first started headphones. I don't know if I trust their QC.
Spending $600 and getting something with Topping printed on it just seems wrong in some way.

For what it's worth I'm with the objectivists and think that a lot of people just like how distortion sounds. Anyway, it does make for a spicy thread :wink:
Firmware 2.4 update addressed the "popping" and shutting off when inserting/removing plugs from SE, though some are still having the problem. I have had no problems yet (knock on wood). +1 re your concerns about QC; however, pls also see my post #402 on this thread for suggestions to minimize the possibility of a problem. Not sure what you mean about distortion - A90D is one of the cleanest rated amps ever via the measurement folks i.e. ASR- perhaps you mean the 'elevated bass dynamics' some have reported via user impressions?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #449 of 807
Firmware 2.4 update addressed the "popping" and shutting off when inserting/removing plugs from SE, though some are still having the problem. I have had no problems yet (knock on wood). +1 re your concerns about QC; however, pls also see my post #402 on this thread for suggestions to minimize the possibility of a problem. Not sure what you mean about distortion - A90D is one of the cleanest rated amps ever via the measurement folks i.e. ASR- perhaps you mean the 'elevated bass dynamics' some have reported via user impressions?

re: distortion - I was actually referring to some people not liking amps as clean and objectively well measured as this or the 789 and finding them "thin" "lean" etc. There was a good bi of spicy discussion early in the thread about it. I do understand this is a clean amp with great measurements and that attracts me.

Oct 2, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #450 of 807
If you are running them on SE output, that is a significant amount on mW lower than balanced output on the A90D.

I can get in the 80/90's volume with my Fostex T50 with lager pads, on the SE output.

Let us know your experience after you get the balanced cable.
Ok new balanced cable in the house and honestly it's a game changer no issue with power now. Problem was all my IEM have balanced cables that I was listening to, and I only had stock SE cable with the HiFiMan HE-400i. Not only did the stock cable really suck balls but sounds like ass as well! What a real game changer the sound is noticeably cleaner but I find the dynamics are greatly improved as well. Super happy camper here!

Now if I can only get EQ APO to work on Win 11 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back