Topping A70 Pro - impressions
Oct 1, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #46 of 205
Some love for the A70 Pro and the Merason frérot & POW1 and the HE1000v2. My present "end game"🤩
How is sound stage size and depth? Bass quantity?

Oct 1, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #47 of 205
Oct 1, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #48 of 205
Well headphones like HD800S scale with different amps (power output, type of amp etc). Not to mention HE1000 or Susvara..

Oct 1, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #49 of 205
How is sound stage size and depth? Bass quantity?
To my ears big sound stage and beautiful textured bass with some slam (but sure not basshead level)
Aren't these attributes of headphones ?
HE1000v2 seems to be known for the big soundstage but not really for the slam...

Anyway difficult to say what is due to which part of the chain...
For me it's more a question of finding the best possible synergy to your ears😀

Oct 1, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #50 of 205

I like my amps and DACs to be as neutral as possible.

For me it's more a question of finding the best possible synergy

Synergy is key, but to find what we like, we need to do the testing ourselves.

This is open forum: plenty of knowledgable members, but also an abundance of over enthusiastic self proclaimed "experts" :D

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #51 of 205
To my ears big sound stage and beautiful textured bass with some slam (but sure not basshead level)

HE1000v2 seems to be known for the big soundstage but not really for the slam...

For me it's more a question of finding the best possible synergy to your ears😀
I cant wait for mine A70Pro to come, very curious about sinergy with HD800S, using R2R from EF400. Also will compare it versus Hifiman amp. Heard pairing Senns with Hifimans amp isnt the best eventhough I like the sound presentation, little softer, very lush, with good impact, even better punch than M17 in over head headphone mode using linear power supply.

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #53 of 205
Some love for the A70 Pro and the Merason frérot & POW1 and the HE1000v2. My present "end game"🤩
Thank you for sharing :)
I got the HE 1000 Stealth a few days ago, and have been running them off the SMSL C200. It sounds great, so I was considering getting the A70 Pro for just a bit more power and headroom, my endgame setup.
But then I tried the headphones in a tube amplifier, and kinda liked it. In the store where I auditioned the headphones, they used Violectric class A amps, and they also sounded amazing. So now I'm torn between the A70, A90D, Singxer SA-1 and the XDUOO TA-22.
Have you tried the HE 1000's on any other type of amp?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #54 of 205
Have you tried the HE 1000's on any other type of amp ?
I tried the HE1000 Stealth with a Violectric (v380mk2). It was punchy, clean and detailed but the Stealth was "too energetic" to my ears so i exchange it with a HE1000v2 that is a little more laid-back.
Then i got an offer for a premium Dac that i could not resist and then i got the A70 Pro to be able to go balanced with my Dac (as this Vio has only RCA inputs).
So it's really the combination (synergy) of the Amp + Dac + headphones👌
Tube or solide state, R2R or Delta sigma Dac... there are so many possibilities to find a sound that we like and then another😜
Have a good search🤩

Oct 1, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #55 of 205
This said we are fortunate to read other head-fiers sharing impressions👍

The longer I am in this hobby, the less I care about those impressions :wink:

Oct 1, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #57 of 205
I tried the HE1000 Stealth with a Violectric (v380mk2). It was punchy, clean and detailed but the Stealth was "too energetic" to my ears so i exchange it with a HE1000v2 that is a little more laid-back.
Then i got an offer for a premium Dac that i could not resist and then i got the A70 Pro to be able to go balanced with my Dac (as this Vio has only RCA inputs).
So it's really the combination (synergy) of the Amp + Dac + headphones👌
Tube or solide state, R2R or Delta sigma Dac... there are so many possibilities to find a sound that we like and then another😜
Have a good search🤩
Thank you for the feedback :) Yes, there are tons of options and things to try, but hearing what others enjoy is a good source of inspiration for me. At this point, I'm leaning towards something with tubes, just to get something that is very different from my current C200.

The longer I am in this hobby, the less I care about those impressions :wink:
I understand that perspective as well. I work in the HiFi business (speakers) and it can be very confusing to hear completely different opinions about the same product. No ears or brains, are the same. However, as said above, I like getting inspiration from others, to what could be interesting/fun to try out :)

Oct 4, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #58 of 205
Guys, bit of help please. I got A70 Pro today and it sounds wonderfull. It is connected to EF400 via XLR, noticed Hifiman on 40% volume is equal to A70 Pro on -33dB. Both are on high gain, listening to LCD2 2021 closed back via 4.4mm. Hifiman on 50% is very loud, but A70 Pro I can listen way over half volume. What did I miss something in menu? Thanks in advance for help.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #59 of 205
Either. You can set the display for low, medium or high brightness, or put it into ‘auto’ mode, where it goes off after ~30 seconds (pressing any button wakes it again). I keep mine on low with the standard screen on, although the spectrum analyser is nice.
What happens if you're on VU mode and you change the volume? Does the volume screen come on momentarily so you can see the level? Also is there an auto-power off function (yet)?

Oct 23, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #60 of 205
I couldn't resist and ordered A70 Pro aswell, was going after A90D, used one is little cheaper then completely new one... Also have M17 but very interested how it will play out connected to Hifiman EF400 via XLR. If someone tried those two together impressions please.
I bought a a90d and saw that a70 pro came out so i quickly sold my a90d for the a70 pro the multiple headphones plugged in a the same time is really nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back