Topping A70 Pro - impressions
Aug 26, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #31 of 201
Yet another update (why is it so quiet here) :)

A70 Pro is staying 👍

To keep costs down, I have decided against D70 Pro (at least for now) and use SMSL DO100 DAC instead.

I have also changed headphone configuration :)

A70 Pro
  • XLR - HiFiman Ananda Stealth
  • 4,4mm - Meze 109 Pro
  • 6,35mm - Grado SR80x
SMSL HO100
  • 4,4mm - HD 660S2

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #32 of 201
The unit is still working wonderfully - if you are an owner of the A90 and wondering if you should upgrade I think you will enjoy the additional low-end and power. Re being only able to switch between PRE and HPA using the menu - I reached out to Topping support and they updated their firmware to include this feature!

Not sure what the policy is on sharing links but this is what they provided. There is a new 'Output mode sel' option in the Button configuration under Advanced in the menu. This allows you to toggle between PRE / HPA using the front button (similar to the front switch on the A90)

Sep 6, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #33 of 201
I ordered mine today from a local dealer, if anything goes south it should be relatively easy to return it. Almost bought Naim Atom HE, but after second thought decided to trust the science and a common sense 😉

Sep 16, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #34 of 201
There is a new version of firmware available: ver. 1.07

I downloaded it to my computer, but have no idea how to do the update :frowning2:

Could somebody, write a step-by-step instruction or point me to the right place on the net ?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #35 of 201
There is a new version of firmware available: ver. 1.07

I downloaded it to my computer, but have no idea how to do the update :frowning2:

Could somebody, write a step-by-step instruction or point me to the right place on the net ?
The instructions are listed in a readme.txt file inside the downloaded zip, pasted below:

0, Unplug the power cord from the device.
1, Connect the device's FW to a PC/Mac via a usb type-C cable. A removable drive will show up in the explorer
2, Open the drive.
3, Copy the .Topping file to the root directory of the drive. The drive will then eject itself and reconnect.
4, Reopen the drive. A new file will be showing current firmware version as "OKVERXX" of which
the "XX" showing the new firmware version indicates that the firmware is successfully upgraded.

Note: to get the usb working correctly for me I had to unplug all of the cables from the unit.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #36 of 201

The instructions are listed in a readme.txt file inside the downloaded zip

Now, this is embarrassing :nerd:

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #37 of 201

Now, this is embarrassing :nerd:

Sep 17, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #38 of 201
Updated A70 Pro firmware to v.1.07 using MacBook Air :thumbsup:

All went well, but I did have to use a USB-C to USB-A cable with an adapter (MacBook only has USB-C sockets).

Sep 21, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #39 of 201
Got my A70pro from topping.

Overall improvement over driving stuff out of my m17 directly is bass go lower and sound stage is bigger. The sound just got bigger across headphones, some little some significantly larger.
IMG_0434.jpeg

Sep 22, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #41 of 201
Got my A70pro from topping.

Overall improvement over driving stuff out of my m17 directly is bass go lower and sound stage is bigger. The sound just got bigger across headphones, some little some significantly larger.
IMG_0434.jpeg
I see in you signature you have the Diana Phi, have you tested it with this amp? I have the Diana V2 and was thinking on buying.

Sep 22, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #42 of 201
I see in you signature you have the Diana Phi, have you tested it with this amp? I have the Diana V2 and was thinking on buying.
Compared to my M17 dap in balanced, there’s improvement in soundstage, low bass, and slight improvement in control.

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #43 of 201
I couldn't resist and ordered A70 Pro aswell, was going after A90D, used one is little cheaper then completely new one... Also have M17 but very interested how it will play out connected to Hifiman EF400 via XLR. If someone tried those two together impressions please.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #45 of 201
I am debating (heart vs head) adding the OCTO version of D70 Pro :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back