Topping A70 Pro - impressions
Feb 10, 2024 at 3:37 AM Post #167 of 201
It looks a very nice unit. I appreciate a good display and a remote. Does it have EQ/tone controls and pre-sets for different headphones?

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #168 of 201
I wonder how long it will be until someone comes up with an amp that allows controlled/variable introduction of distortion and impedance to mimic tube amplifiers? Perhaps this already exists ...

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #169 of 201
Feb 10, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #170 of 201
I wonder how long it will be until someone comes up with an amp that allows controlled/variable introduction of distortion and impedance to mimic tube amplifiers? Perhaps this already exists ...
This is probably in the DAC space through DSP, and some of the DACs already try this, like the Topping D70 Pro SABRE has "valve" and "transistor" modes. Not sure how many people see it as anything more than a gimmick though. It seems like something that should be able to be simulated and be indistinguishable from the target tube. There probably isn't enough demand to make the juice worth the squeeze.

Feb 10, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #171 of 201
It looks a very nice unit. I appreciate a good display and a remote. Does it have EQ/tone controls and pre-sets for different headphones?

No EQ. You can save different presets for each input and output, but this is just for volume and maybe gain as well. I've never seen EQ in a headphone amp, but rumor has it they will start to integrate it into one of their DACs starting with the upcoming D50 III.

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #172 of 201
This is probably in the DAC space through DSP, and some of the DACs already try this, like the Topping D70 Pro SABRE has "valve" and "transistor" modes. Not sure how many people see it as anything more than a gimmick though. It seems like something that should be able to be simulated and be indistinguishable from the target tube. There probably isn't enough demand to make the juice worth the squeeze.
For whatever it's worth Zeos raved about that switch.

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #173 of 201
He sure did but he was the only one. As far as I know no one has actively compared the valve mode to an actual tube system to see how close it comes.

As an aside, it was interesting that if my memory serves me correctly, I watched the review (I think it was for the A70 & D70 pair) highly interested in the DAC but came away wanting (and purchasing the amp).

Feb 10, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #174 of 201
He sure did but he was the only one. As far as I know no one has actively compared the valve mode to an actual tube system to see how close it comes.

As an aside, it was interesting that if my memory serves me correctly, I watched the review (I think it was for the A70 & D70 pair) highly interested in the DAC but came away wanting (and purchasing the amp).
If only Zeos didnt rave about EVERY product that's decent some stock could be taken in his glee.

Yeah the A70 is definitely a beast for $499.

Feb 13, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #176 of 201
Do you think that Topping A70 Pro is better amp that Fiio K9?
Before getting my A70pro, I first tried and ended up returning the Fiio K9 Pro. It's a very nice, very big amp for the price but I found its noise floor was audible for some of my IEMs which is not something I want from a solid state. Tons of power, but true to its THX architecture, it can be a bit much for more sensitive cans.

Feb 13, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #177 of 201
Do you think that Topping A70 Pro is better amp that Fiio K9?
The k9 is also a great DAC and 2.2w power as an amp. It's really good. But purely Amp vs Amp portion, yeah, the Topping is better there- as in more powerful. Maybe even a bit better dynamics.

Feb 14, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #178 of 201
I have a completely noob question for you all 😅 I just got my A70/D70 in and there is - probably not surprisingly - no cable included to connect them. What cable do I need to connect these two? I’m completely at a loss so any help is appreciated 😎 thanks!

Feb 14, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #180 of 201
I have a completely noob question for you all 😅 I just got my A70/D70 in and there is - probably not surprisingly - no cable included to connect them. What cable do I need to connect these two? I’m completely at a loss so any help is appreciated 😎 thanks!

A pair of XLR cables would be best, e.g. microphone cables rather than 110 ohm AES/EBU cables (though you can still use these) like what was posted above. I'd go for Mogami or Canare in the US, or Gotham in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back