Topping A70 Pro - impressions
Feb 16, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #181 of 201
So I went ahead and got everything hooked up, but am getting nothing to the A70 from the D70. I figure I have something hooked up incorrectly or am missing something vital. I have USB<>USB going into my laptop and short, quality XLR between the A70 and D70. DAC seems to be showing activity but nothing on the amp… I’m using an M2 MacBook Pro if that’s worth noting.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

IMG_2931.jpeg
IMG_2932.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #182 of 201
I don't know the "70" series, but it looks like you selected the single ended input. "SE" is showing in the top left corner. It should be "balanced / XLR". Try to change the input on the A70.

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #183 of 201
So I went ahead and got everything hooked up, but am getting nothing to the A70 from the D70. I figure I have something hooked up incorrectly or am missing something vital. I have USB<>USB going into my laptop and short, quality XLR between the A70 and D70. DAC seems to be showing activity but nothing on the amp… I’m using an M2 MacBook Pro if that’s worth noting.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

IMG_2931.jpegIMG_2932.jpeg
You need to make sure it's reading both the correct input (XLR) and output mode (HPA and PRE) or HPA. If the output mode is just PRE you won't get any output (sound) as its sending the signal out through the rear jacks. Hope that helps.

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #184 of 201
You all are fantastic! I resolved the BAL output on the amp and nothing changed. Then I changed the output mode on the DAC from SE to BAL and viola, I hear sounds and things! 🙏

As always, thanks!!

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #185 of 201
You all are fantastic! I resolved the BAL output on the amp and nothing changed. Then I changed the output mode on the DAC from SE to BAL and viola, I hear sounds and things! 🙏

As always, thanks!!
How does it sound?

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #186 of 201
How does it sound?
Work with me here as I'm not terribly seasoned as speaking the audiophile language haha. Honestly I can tell there's a lot more (probably not surprisingly) power and headroom when compared to the WA7, which is my only comparison amp at the moment. The sound is a lot "clearer" and less warm than the WA7, I assume because of the SS vs. tube situation, although it's not anything I would consider cold or clinical. I'm going to try and spend more time listening between the two over the next several days to try and decide if I prefer one or am going to keep both. I have decided that the Diana MR is just not for me based on comfort, soundstage, and tuning, and will be sending those back and keeping the Empy II. Hope that helps? 😝

Feb 16, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #187 of 201
Work with me here as I'm not terribly seasoned as speaking the audiophile language haha. Honestly I can tell there's a lot more (probably not surprisingly) power and headroom when compared to the WA7, which is my only comparison amp at the moment. The sound is a lot "clearer" and less warm than the WA7, I assume because of the SS vs. tube situation, although it's not anything I would consider cold or clinical. I'm going to try and spend more time listening between the two over the next several days to try and decide if I prefer one or am going to keep both. I have decided that the Diana MR is just not for me based on comfort, soundstage, and tuning, and will be sending those back and keeping the Empy II. Hope that helps? 😝
Yeah, man, all the data helps. We all hear things just a little bit differently but when you have consensus from a lot of folks than that is great data.

I suck at the audiophile terms, too, but Head-Fi has helped make me sound a little bit more refined at least.

Feb 19, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #188 of 201
I got the dreaded "HP DC abnormal" error last week and am currently working with the retailer for instructions on what to do.

I don't suppose anyone has any good ideas to fix the error other than the common firmware update/restart? Based on Internet searching the unit needs to be replaced.

Though, the retailer intimated that it might be a power supply issue? I'm in Finland using 230V and 50 Hz mains and the amp worked fine for about 3 days before getting the error.

Feb 19, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #189 of 201
Were you listening to music when this happened or connecting / disconnecting cables / playing with gain / volume settings ?

I induced the "HP DC abnormal" error once, but it was a consequence of my own actions. When I stopped "fulling around" everything returned to normal and has been so ever since 👍

Feb 19, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #190 of 201
Were you listening to music when this happened or connecting / disconnecting cables / playing with gain / volume settings ?

I induced the "HP DC abnormal" error once, but it was a consequence of my own actions. When I stopped "fulling around" everything returned to normal and has been so ever since 👍
No, I had my Arya Organics connected to the 6.35mm port, not playing music currently. Low-gain mode, the volume setting was at a normal listening volume, nothing too high.

The amp was connected to a D70 Sabre with Topping XLR cables and both devices were obviously on. Heard a pop of sorts from the headphones on the stand and the error appeared and has remained since no matter what I try.

When I turn on the device, the normal screen shows for around 2 seconds, the left channel shows a spike to around half volume, and then the error replaces the screen.

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #191 of 201
Should be interesting.

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #192 of 201
Sorry. Wrong thread.

Feb 24, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #193 of 201
I have got 2 quetions:

- Some time ago i read about clicking noises even with the newest firmware. Is this actually a problem?
- I read that the display always shows the source information althoug it is dimmed. Does this also happen in the Vu-display mode or is it dark in this mode? Could this be a problem in dark rooms because it is not completely dimmed?

Feb 24, 2024 at 5:19 AM Post #194 of 201
Even when dimmed (using the Auto setting) the source is shown on the top of the screen in a small white font and the screen is on. It's visible in a dark room mainly due to the poor viewing angles of the screen.

So if you're watching it from the side (the worst possible case) in a pitch dark room, it's quite apparent the screen is on. Directly from the front it's not as bad.

This is from the D70 Pro screen, but it's the same as the A70 Pro so the experience is similar.

An OLED screen would be a definite improvement in future models.

If it's too bothersome, might look into making something like a black cloth screen to put in front of the actual screen when it's needed. Like curtains in a movie theater. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back