Topping A30 Headphone Amplifier
Jul 31, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #46 of 169
They are only 50ohm but not power hungry like Fostex. If I run straight to my DAC, I have the volume at 20% for comfortable listening. 100% turns them into speakers lol. With the Schiit and the DAC at 100% it usually sits at 12 o clock.

You will be fine then with the A30, it has the same output power like a Magni2 anyway (actually a bit more in some cases). But it scales down alot better than the Magni does.

Jul 31, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #51 of 169
Thanks, just joined the drop. $184 vs $229.

Ill either keep the Schiit as a back up or sell it. I think I have a co worker in the market for an entry lvl amp.

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #52 of 169
Wow yea the price went up a little bit.
I think the first one I bought was $89 for the DAC.
Its really a killer stack at that price.
The whole stack costs less than the Modi Multibit and its quality is comparable to the SMSL M8.

Aug 3, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #55 of 169
Aug 3, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #56 of 169
"Output impedance: 10 Ω (6.35 mm output), 30 Ω (3.5 mm output)"
Very high, makes me wonder if not best used with higher impedance headphones?

Here's a good review:

https://www.soundphilereview.com/amplifiers-dacs/topping-a30-review-754/

Very interesting that the output impedance is so high, yet it works so well with my low impedance headphones.
Infact that is why I bought it in the first place.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

I'm going to buy a O2 amp now and compare the two directly side by side.

Aug 11, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #57 of 169
Just got my O2 amp in and I am testing side by side, so far the A30 and the O2 compare quite linearly except that the O2 is considerably louder (also has default gain where A30 is on 0db gain).

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #58 of 169
"the O2 compare quite linearly" Meaning they sound pretty much the same?

I played a little bit with the high/low settings, and with my bosshifi b8, it does appear that the high setting adds a subtle bit of bass. Since low impedance is less than 25 ohms, and the b8s are 16 ohms, the low setting would seem more adequate, and yet the high setting seems to provide a slight bass boost... Does this make sense or is this placebo? I think it was similar with the AKG 550, 32 Ohm, but I don't quite remember as it was a couple of days ago and the differences were kinda minute if there at all... But for comparison, the Aune T1's amp section, for some reason, adds quite a bit more bass, which makes me wonder if it could also be an impedance 'issue'?

Also now makes me wonder if using the smaller headphone jack on the amp also result in a sound difference? I remember it being less loud, but I haven't really tried to volume match it and listen for actual sound differences...

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #59 of 169
"the O2 compare quite linearly" Meaning they sound pretty much the same?

I played a little bit with the high/low settings, and with my bosshifi b8, it does appear that the high setting adds a subtle bit of bass. Since low impedance is less than 25 ohms, and the b8s are 16 ohms, the low setting would seem more adequate, and yet the high setting seems to provide a slight bass boost... Does this make sense or is this placebo? I think it was similar with the AKG 550, 32 Ohm, but I don't quite remember as it was a couple of days ago and the differences were kinda minute if there at all... But for comparison, the Aune T1's amp section, for some reason, adds quite a bit more bass, which makes me wonder if it could also be an impedance 'issue'?

Also now makes me wonder if using the smaller headphone jack on the amp also result in a sound difference? I remember it being less loud, but I haven't really tried to volume match it and listen for actual sound differences...

Yes I mean they sound the same. I think the bass boost might be a placebo affect because one provides more current.
I will try playing with the switch and see if the same happens to me.

Aug 22, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #60 of 169
Thanks, just joined the drop. $184 vs $229.

Ill either keep the Schiit as a back up or sell it. I think I have a co worker in the market for an entry lvl amp.
I'm not sure if you've received your A30/D30 stack yet, but I got mine earlier this year and got the M1060's last week. It has absolutely no trouble driving them. I have it set to high output and 0db gain for both M1060 and HE400S. The M1060's are noticeably louder from the 6.35mm jack compared to the 400S. At about 1 o'clock on the volume pot it's getting very loud on the M1060 (for my ears, no idea of the db's).

If anyone's interested, I also have a pair of 250ohm DT770's that are no hassle to drive whatsoever. 2-3 o'clock on the pot at 0db gain or 11-12 o'clock on 9db gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back