Topping A30 Headphone Amplifier
Aug 22, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #61 of 169
I'm not sure if you've received your A30/D30 stack yet, but I got mine earlier this year and got the M1060's last week. It has absolutely no trouble driving them. I have it set to high output and 0db gain for both M1060 and HE400S. The M1060's are noticeably louder from the 6.35mm jack compared to the 400S. At about 1 o'clock on the volume pot it's getting very loud on the M1060 (for my ears, no idea of the db's).

If anyone's interested, I also have a pair of 250ohm DT770's that are no hassle to drive whatsoever. 2-3 o'clock on the pot at 0db gain or 11-12 o'clock on 9db gain.

Nice. Did you get them from Massdrop? Still waiting for mine to ship. The m1060s arent hard to drive at all. So it should drive the HD6XX just fine?

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #63 of 169
Nice. Did you get them from Massdrop? Still waiting for mine to ship. The m1060s arent hard to drive at all. So it should drive the HD6XX just fine?
I certainly did! my drop finished in late January I think? I received it in March.

I know you didn't ask me, but it drives the HD650 with ease :)
Glad to hear! Got a pair in the last drop :)

Aug 23, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #65 of 169
It should drive basically everything on the planet. No matter how much power draw is required it literally has like 1.5W RMS / channel output in high mode from the 6.35mm output.

Basically indeed, but not quite enough for the HiFiman HE-6 / Susvara :wink:

Aug 23, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #66 of 169
Basically indeed, but not quite enough for the HiFiman HE-6 / Susvara :wink:
Well that is a $1200 PM headphone that can deliver 2WRMS / Channel with a very low sensitivity.

I don't think that Topping was ever thinking about something like that when designing the A30.

But that would also be at full volume, either way you really need a high end Amp to drive something like that.
Its one of the rare exceptions, especially because its a PM headphone.

Aug 24, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #67 of 169
Well that is a $1200 PM headphone that can deliver 2WRMS / Channel with a very low sensitivity.

I don't think that Topping was ever thinking about something like that when designing the A30.

But that would also be at full volume, either way you really need a high end Amp to drive something like that.
Its one of the rare exceptions, especially because its a PM headphone.

Yeah I was joking a bit :wink:

The A30 is very impressive for the price, just a shame about the output impedance.

I'll keep my O2 as my reference rig at home for reviews, and my D30/A30 at work :)

Aug 24, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #68 of 169
Yeah I was joking a bit :wink:

The A30 is very impressive for the price, just a shame about the output impedance.

I'll keep my O2 as my reference rig at home for reviews, and my D30/A30 at work :)
Testing it side by side I haven't found a single issue with the output impedance even up to volumes that I cannot actually stand.

I have them both connected to the same DAC at the same time using the A30 passthrough and yea they sound exactly the same. And this is even with 16 and 18 ohm headphones aswell as 32ohm IEM's.

Aug 25, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #69 of 169
Picked up a pair of HE-560's today and the A30/D30 have no trouble driving them. With 0db gain I have the volume pot between 1-2 o'clock. A couple quieter songs needed the gain bumped up. The cans sound fantastic through this amp. Very happy.

Aug 25, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #70 of 169
Picked up a pair of HE-560's today and the A30/D30 have no trouble driving them. With 0db gain I have the volume pot between 1-2 o'clock. A couple quieter songs needed the gain bumped up. The cans sound fantastic through this amp. Very happy.

Those must be really easy to drive considering 1-2 oclock on 0db gain.
Unless you are using the 6.35mm port?

Aug 25, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #71 of 169
They're definitely not easy to drive. It's using the 6.35mm port, as I do (with an adapter) for my other cans.

Aug 25, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #73 of 169
Oh okay, yea that port has alot more power than the 3.5mm port.
Are you on Hi or Lo mode on the Amp itself?

I use Lo on the 3.5mm and about the same level of volume for my 1More Quad drivers.
Hi mode so far. I haven't tried them with Lo yet.

Interestingly, I've noticed that the difference in quieter and louder tracks is more pronounced on the 560's. It could be all in my head? But I've noticed I'm playing with the volume more often than I had with the 400S. Small price to pay, but an interesting new revelation.

Aug 25, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #74 of 169
Hi mode so far. I haven't tried them with Lo yet.

Interestingly, I've noticed that the difference in quieter and louder tracks is more pronounced on the 560's. It could be all in my head? But I've noticed I'm playing with the volume more often than I had with the 400S. Small price to pay, but an interesting new revelation.

Because the more power probably the greater the differential. Also all headphones respond to load differently.
With my RP-HD10s I do the same thing because some tracks are more harsh than others.
But those are also low power easy to drive cans where I use the Lo mode and 3.5mm output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back