Topgear back!
Jan 31, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #76 of 171
My dad has an Audi A6, and you are right. Never been in any other car that has interiors like Audi's, even a Porche Carrera.

I am not taking your comments to heart, i know better is an subjective term and don't really expect you to change your mind over a few post compared to your personal experience, i mean that would be plain silly !

As for handling, we both have really different experience of that. The roads in the US are much wider and longer, just mostly right angle turns. Correct me if i am wrong but the most difficult manuver is getting the car out of the garage. Roads in England (and Europe) is much narrower, they were basically built for Horse Carts for centuries. They just put Tarmac over it really for the country lanes, and town roads. The only straight ones are Freeways (motorways), and most journeys are done in country lanes and in city driving. So our perception of handling is a bit different to yours.

Jan 31, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #77 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, you mean the subjective kind of "better", because hard test data surely does'nt confirm "better" especially in relation to fuel mileage and Euro cars. Keep in mind that most Euro manufacturers( VW the exception) have refused to comply with currently accepted SAE horsepower ratings and most of the Japanese makers had to "adjust" these figures . They may have been a little optimistic, especially coming from Honda. Nissan has also refused, giving us the new Infiniti G35 with 306 "rated" horsepower instead of "measured" horsepower.

Ok, so the seed was planted long before I landed in this thread and I'm already hearing it in stereo from my son and dad. I refuse to take it from you and Clarkson.....
icon10.gif

I guess with the same reasoning all headphones are the same.
icon10.gif
They all make sounds anyway.
icon10.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #78 of 171
Yeah, it looks like not everyone gets his schtick, but it is his schtick. It's all in good fun, but I like how he doesn't just let the American cars slide, and he's not exactly been easy on the British either.

Although there was that one time where he had to eat his hair.
wink.gif

I hope they visit the Cool Wall soon. We're looking to buy a new car. But then again, I'd rather head over to the DB9 freezer. Seriously, what's not to love about that car?

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #79 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My dad has an Audi A6, and you are right. Never been in any other car that has interiors like Audi's, even a Porche Carrera.

I am not taking your comments to heart, i know better is an subjective term and don't really expect you to change your mind over a few post compared to your personal experience, i mean that would be plain silly !

As for handling, we both have really different experience of that. The roads in the US are much wider and longer, just mostly right angle turns. Correct me if i am wrong but the most difficult manuver is getting the car out of the garage. Roads in England (and Europe) is much narrower, they were basically built for Horse Carts for centuries. They just put Tarmac over it really for the country lanes, and town roads. The only straight ones are Freeways (motorways), and most journeys are done in country lanes and in city driving. So our perception of handling is a bit different to yours.

True. My perception of handling probably has more to do with high speed, sweeping turns and "ultimate grip". You are probably most concerned with swift turn-in, body roll and brake dive.

I'll rightfully concede that the current Lotus' are simply amazing. I've not driven one but I witnessed one break a track record( at a smaller, very tight and fast track) wearing the new Nitto DOT race tires. This record was fomerly held by a barely legal 911 GT3 on shaved Toyo race tires. He didn't just break the record, he wiped the old one from the books. I'm still amazed. There is a very long waiting list for any current Lotus here in Chicago. I was thinking of going to Arizona to buy one, race it for a season and sell it for a small profit afterwards. My current finances prohibit such a thing but that may change in the future.

I'd also love to get intimate with a new Porsche 997 GT3 RSR..... I dream of such things.

Jan 31, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #80 of 171
Thanks for posting it in small easy-to-download parts. That was a really good episode. Clarkson is no Ty Pennington with his megaphone.
smily_headphones1.gif

The music editing has gotten a lot better, not that it was ever bad at all.
biggrin.gif

And sorry, I'll still have the DB9. They weren't completely nice to Hammond though, so it's all good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #81 of 171
Top Gear's on in just over three hours.

If I can I will pull episode one and host episode two tomorrow night, so for those of you who've not grabbed it then do so now.

You can grab it here.

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #83 of 171
I've just uploaded Episode 2, it's worth watching just for the first section
eek.gif
How Fast Does He Go?

Anyway, you can grab it here.

Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #84 of 171
Wow! I thought it was a one-off thing to help get people into top gear, but no, not the case. Thanks again! Too bad it takes almost 6 hours to download off the wireless
biggrin.gif
. Could you maybe perhaps reduce the resolution and move to two-pass encoding at a lower bitrate, or change to h.264? pretty please? Added benefit of smaller file size is that you could squeeze two episodes onto your server at a time
biggrin.gif

Thanks again, I can't wait 'til friday so I can take the time to download and watch.

Feb 5, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #85 of 171
I shall run it through divx converter and see what it looks like when I have the time, the only issue I have is that my ISP will not allow files bigger than 50Mb to be uploaded.

Hope you enjoy the episode.

Feb 6, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #87 of 171
Loved the 80's Toyota truck episode(s).

Feb 6, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #88 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great to see that they are finally back in business.
Top Gear is the best automotive show on TV.

but the fat guy is a real snoob. if he did the shows 20 years earlier i bet hes gonna have a hard time running from the KGBs.

Feb 6, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #90 of 171
Is anyone else having problems with the posted files for episode 2? The audio is fine for me but the video has wicked chatter. Is this a codec problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back