Topaz Low-Capacitance Isolation Transformers - for Affordably Clean Power
Jun 11, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #466 of 562
a little "Kill-a-Watt" meter (or similar) will do a good job of measuring power line Voltage, Current & Power.
with any DMM if you measure before and after the isolation transformer, most of the meter's errors will cancel out.

Aug 4, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #467 of 562
I am not technically minded at all and I want to ask all you the following.

I just ordered from Schneider Electric a 750Kva -31 115/230 model Topaz transformer.

All my equipment together uses around 220 watts of power. I have a mac mini, a Mutec Ref10 SE-120 clock, Audio-gd DI-20HE DDC, Audio-gd R-7HE DAC, and Audio-gd HE-9 Headphone amplifier.

1. Is my Topaz powerful enough to power my system? If I balance it will that reduce its capacity and if so by how much? Would it still be powerful enough for my system?

2. I have seen much talk about the hum issue and was wondering- how about just putting the Topaz on a thick rubber or silicon mat? Shouldn't that help?

3. What is the conclusion on the DC filter issue? Is it recommended or not to use it before the Topaz and if it is- which is the one to get?

Thanks......

Aug 4, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #468 of 562
All my equipment together uses around 220 watts of power. I have a mac mini, a Mutec Ref10 SE-120 clock, Audio-gd DI-20HE DDC, Audio-gd R-7HE DAC, and Audio-gd HE-9 Headphone amplifier.
Nice system, what headphones? Are you using filterless power distribution after the topaz? Consider quadrapole power cables like vh-audios flavor 4 for the digital components.

1. Is my Topaz powerful enough to power my system? If I balance it will that reduce its capacity and if so by how much? Would it still be powerful enough for my system?
Yes. Yes by half. Yes. But I would confirm with audiogd that the components run on balanced. I run an nfb7 but the topaz isnt balanced. I find the -31 32 units dont hum anywhere near as loud as the -11 12 units so I never attempted balanced. I have my projectors on a 750kv -32 unit, and the projectors have large current swing due to dynamic led dimming theyll go from pulling 100w to 300w in an instant. no hum from the transformer. The hum is due to the magnetic transference, using sorbothane wont even help. If it buzzes its most likely due to the casing needs to be tightened, let it heat up and then tighten the bolts.

3. What is the conclusion on the DC filter issue? Is it recommended or not to use it before the Topaz and if it is- which is the one to get?
Maybe someone else can help with this. I settled on leaving my unit with a floating secondary and I just use a cyberpower sine wave ups with an autoformer(automatic voltage regulation) before the topaz due to im in south florida and we get daily brown/black outs.

Aug 4, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #469 of 562
Audio-gd told me I'm good to go in balanced.

I have great power cables. I do use a -70dcb filter on my mac mini only. It helps. Everywhere else it hurts... I may get rid of it after I get the Topaz- have to test...

One more thing... I have read that the Topaz makes the sound more at ease- more mellow. Does it round off the detail and suppress dynamics at all?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #470 of 562
Audio-gd told me I'm god to go in balanced.
Great, had you physically measured the power draw of the system? or just going off rated specs?

I have great power cables. I do use a -70dcb filter on my mac mini only. It helps. Everywhere else it hurts... I may get rid of it after I get the Topaz- ave to test...
Cool. I suggest the quadrapole ac and dc cables for digital components due to a specific noise generated by varied current draw of digital signal devices, a voltage develops across the inductance of the cable the only way to reduce it is with low inductance cables. Quite possibly less of an issue with regenerative supplies though.

One more thing... I have read that the Topaz makes the sound more at ease- more mellow. Does it round off the detail and suppress dynamics at all?

No quite the opposite, just like with the power cables, reducing all the external noise has a profound effect on dynamics and transparency, imaging/holography, treble performance/clarity/fatigue. I think the more at ease mellow description is along those terms.

All the noise reduction plus audiogd components are what enabled me to push music like 1349 through Out of Your Head and have it not only be listenable, but sound natural and realistic. So instead of a loss of dynamics and or "pleasant distortions", it went from unlistenable noise, to clean and clear and perfectly detailed. And listening to straight stereo with high quality recordings is phantomlike in its imaging ability, any sign of a recording and audio system disappears and you hear what was recorded as if it were real.

Nope, no less of dynamics what-so-ever, quite the opposite for sure.

Using the topaz is two-fold. It reduces common/traverse mode noise by a great amount. But equally important is enabling the use of filterless power distribution after the transformer. Electrically connected components form noise generating current leakage loops. In some cases you can break these loops but in many cases you cannot, like between a dac and a preamp. Higher impedance power connections like when using mov surge suppression or outlet specific filtering increase that noise, whereas filterless distribution and lower impedance connections decreases it.

Aug 4, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #472 of 562
Rated specs... I would not know how to measure..
heh, first post on this page

any $20 power consumption meter will do.

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #474 of 562
I wouldn't know how to use it.

I'm an audiophile, not an engineer or a DIY guy....
Oh theyre very simple, just plug the equipment into it hit the buttons and itll tell you how much power is being consumed.

If you can test and wire the isolation transformer you can operate a kilowat meter

Aug 20, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #475 of 562
Aug 20, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #476 of 562
I checked with Audio-gd and they told me balanced power is fine.

However the specs on all three of my audio-gd components state: 220V-240V. The electricity from my wall is around 230V-235V.

However, my Topaz reads 240V and from what I understand it will go up around 6 or so volts when balanced. Is this not dangerous for my equipment?

Is the Topaz 240V rating just the maximum or will it really take the 235V from my wall and output 240V?

Aug 20, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #477 of 562
I checked with Audio-gd and they told me balanced power is fine.

However the specs on all three of my audio-gd components state: 220V-240V. The electricity from my wall is around 230V-235V.

However, my Topaz reads 240V and from what I understand it will go up around 6 or so volts when balanced. Is this not dangerous for my equipment?

Is the Topaz 240V rating just the maximum or will it really take the 235V from my wall and output 240V?

http://www.pacificparts.com/vends/mge/images/t1.pdf

From the specs, input voltage range is +/- 10% which 235V falls in

Aug 20, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #478 of 562
Aug 20, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #479 of 562
Are these easier to get?
Not that I’ve noticed but I never really geared my searches towards them. But having more choices though increases the overall supply so finding a top notch solution should should be easier with more choices.

So far the top options are:
-MGE -31 and -32 (not sure if MGE made a -69)
-Topaz -31, -32 and -69
-Daitron -31 and -32 (can’t remember if I’ve actually seen one of these or not; not sure if Daitron made a -69)
-MGE T100R and T100H (also sold with “Topaz” on the label; some list these as being a collaboration with Eaton)

Aug 21, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #480 of 562
Just got my Topaz and with the kind guidance of Fred (oneguy) I wired it for 220V.

There must be something wrong with my ears but my stereo system sounds noticeably worse. Less dynamic, less transparent, notably muddier and more veiled; honestly- sounds just terrible.

If a day or so of burn-in does not change this- I'm selling my Topaz .0005 cap transformer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back