Topaz Low-Capacitance Isolation Transformers - for Affordably Clean Power
Jan 23, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #451 of 562
Very jealous!!

I wish I could find a 230v low capacitance IT here in the UK. I haven't been able to find one.

Is it really the case that only these Topaz (and other names mentioned here) have the low pF?
There are various companies that make toroidal tranfos (airlink etc) and balanced power supplies but they don't have the very low capacitance and thus have less noise rejection.

I was thinking about just getting a toroid and making a small box with IEC socket on one side and plugs on the other but couldn't find a transformer.

Jealous ! And well done.
Hey Chris,

I too need a 230v (with terminal) variant. Let me know when you find a supplier. I'll do the same if I come across one :)

Jan 23, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #452 of 562
Very jealous!!

I wish I could find a 230v low capacitance IT here in the UK. I haven't been able to find one.

Is it really the case that only these Topaz (and other names mentioned here) have the low pF?
There are various companies that make toroidal tranfos (airlink etc) and balanced power supplies but they don't have the very low capacitance and thus have less noise rejection.

I was thinking about just getting a toroid and making a small box with IEC socket on one side and plugs on the other but couldn't find a transformer.

Jealous ! And well done.

These are 1:1 transformers, if you get a terminal style that can be wired for 120V/240V and 50Hz/60Hz, there is no reason you couldn't use it for 230V. Only issue as you know is they are USA-made, so you would probably have to pay big bucks for international shipping depending on the size. Mine weighs 58lbs, but the weight drops rapidly for the smaller models. The 750kVA for example is 27lbs. As far as I have come across, this family of transformers are the only ones that feature the shielding for low inter-winding capacitance. The descendents of these transformers are still being made by Eaton Corporation, they are now called "Power-Suppress 100", although someone in the thread reached out to them and the capacitance isn't quite as low as the Topaz, MGE, Xentec, etc., but still good for 136dB noise attentuation, which is still overkill. Eaton has a presence in the UK, so that might be an option. Oddly enough, their operational headquarters is 10 minutes away from my house, but like every good and honest US corporation that doesn't want to pay their taxes, their corporate headquarters is in Dublin.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #453 of 562
These are 1:1 transformers, if you get a terminal style that can be wired for 120V/240V and 50Hz/60Hz, there is no reason you couldn't use it for 230V. Only issue as you know is they are USA-made, so you would probably have to pay big bucks for international shipping depending on the size. Mine weighs 58lbs, but the weight drops rapidly for the smaller models. The 750kVA for example is 27lbs. As far as I have come across, this family of transformers are the only ones that feature the shielding for low inter-winding capacitance. The descendents of these transformers are still being made by Eaton Corporation, they are now called "Power-Suppress 100", although someone in the thread reached out to them and the capacitance isn't quite as low as the Topaz, MGE, Xentec, etc., but still good for 136dB noise attentuation, which is still overkill. Eaton has a presence in the UK, so that might be an option. Oddly enough, their operational headquarters is 10 minutes away from my house, but like every good and honest US corporation that doesn't want to pay their taxes, their corporate headquarters is in Dublin.

Thanks for that. Very helpful. I have messaged them already. I wasn't sure how much changing the voltage from their intended would impact the max VA of the unit (or any other thing I don't know).

Go down the road, get one, put it in your luggage, I'll get you a ticket to London and it will probably be cheaper than shipping one of those big things from the US :wink: Holiday as a transformer mule! They are massive.

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #454 of 562
Thanks for that. Very helpful. I have messaged them already. I wasn't sure how much changing the voltage from their intended would impact the max VA of the unit (or any other thing I don't know).

Go down the road, get one, put it in your luggage, I'll get you a ticket to London and it will probably be cheaper than shipping one of those big things from the US :wink: Holiday as a transformer mule! They are massive.

EDIT: The max amperage for the 240V configuration should remain the same.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #455 of 562

Oddly enough, I just might be going to London later this year :ksc75smile: I'm sure TSA will be totally cool when I try to put a 50lbs giant metal box through the X-ray machine. "Guys, it's okay, it's just a low-capacitance isolation transformer with 136dB common-mode noise attenuation for improved audio performance." They will understand.

Jan 23, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #456 of 562
Oddly enough, I just might be going to London later this year :ksc75smile: I'm sure TSA will be totally cool when I try to put a 50lbs giant metal box through the X-ray machine. "Guys, it's okay, it's just a low-capacitance isolation transformer with 136dB common-mode noise attenuation for improved audio performance." They will understand.
I bet the TSA guy would ask you:
Is that the 0.001pF or 0.0005pF version? :wink:

Jan 30, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #457 of 562
Has anyone here tried to use both a Topaz isolation transformer AND Audioquest Niagara 1200? especially Topaz that is wired for balanced power?

I am curious whether it is possible, and whether it makes more sense to go:
a. Wall -> Topaz -> Niagara -> DAC & Amp
or
b. Wall -> Niagara -> Topaz -> DAC & Amp

Since the Topaz is wired for balanced power - would option "a" above even work?
Would I benefit from having both in my power chain, or would the Niagara negate the benefits of the Topaz balanced (or vice versa)?

Mar 4, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #458 of 562
Has anyone here tried to use both a Topaz isolation transformer AND Audioquest Niagara 1200? especially Topaz that is wired for balanced power?

or

Would I benefit from having both in my power chain, or would the Niagara negate the benefits of the Topaz balanced (or vice versa)?

In this setup I would go with option A.
However despite the Niagara offering some benefits, the Topaz might end up sounding better standalone. Adding too many power line filters/conditioners to the electrical line adds impedance and when using them in sync can add some issues.

Mar 4, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #459 of 562

or

In this setup I would go with option A.
However despite the Niagara offering some benefits, the Topaz might end up sounding better standalone. Adding too many power line filters/conditioners to the electrical line adds impedance and when using them in sync can add some issues.
I have contacted Audioquest, and their support replied with:
The Niagara 1200 is designed for regular single phase ‘asymmetrical’ power.
We do not recommend to feed the Niagara from a balanced power outlet or daisy-chain it with any other AC power device.

No idea whether they're covering their butts, or maybe option A above would just not work properly... :thinking:

May 3, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #460 of 562
My Topaz transformer, even though rated at 120VAC in, 120VAC out measures 120VAC in, 123VAC out. As is often the case, my AC is above 120VAC and I would like it lower. It appears that I can reverse output and input on the Topaz, ie connect the power cord to the output of the Topaz and connect the AC outlets to the input side of the Topaz. Does anyone see a problem with that?

May 3, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #461 of 562
My Topaz transformer, even though rated at 120VAC in, 120VAC out measures 120VAC in, 123VAC out. As is often the case, my AC is above 120VAC and I would like it lower. It appears that I can reverse output and input on the Topaz, ie connect the power cord to the output of the Topaz and connect the AC outlets to the input side of the Topaz. Does anyone see a problem with that?
Do you have -31 model? I can’t see any special reason from the diagram of the -31 that you can’t wire it backwards. As always though, before trying something new, check for shorts, continuity and voltages before touching it and putting it in service.

Jun 10, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #465 of 562
Unloaded about 3VAC more on the secondary. Heavily loaded about 2.5VAC.

Not a problem, the regulation on the transformer is actually very good, that's how the regulation is measured, no load to full load voltage measurements.

Don't forget with heaps of linear and smps on the load side, the voltage can be distorted, some (cheaper) DMM have trouble measuring anything other than a pure sine wave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back