Topaz Low-Capacitance Isolation Transformers - for Affordably Clean Power
Dec 5, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #392 of 562
Depends how much your PC and monitor draws. Usually a PC is around 200-400W and monitors are anywhere from 25-50W.

It would be better to run all the audio gear on the Topaz connected to one outlet of the wall receptacle, followed by getting a thick cable splitter for the rest such as PC, monitor, or noisy SMPS that powers devices like LPS-1.2.

After running a separate power line to the circuit breaker, I now have two lines/receptacles for the audio room. The line with the thicker gauge Romex has the Topaz on it while the other line is used for the PC and other devices. By doing this there is less modulation happening on the line that powers the audio equipment. Using a higher rated VA isolation transformer will have thicker gauge wires that are used internally which should help further with modulation and offer higher current handling.

I am still trying to see if using a Topaz on the PC will improve the sound quality in any way if one was using a standard ATX power supply. When using a linear one which spits less noise out I do notice an improvement when connected to the Topaz, but using a noisy ATX might benefit the PC but then raise the noise floor for all other components connected to the Topaz.

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #393 of 562
Would 1KVA wired for balanced be enough for a PC + 2 monitors?
Lets see, my pc has an i7 4770k, gtx1070, 80+plat psu, 6 mechanical drives, 2 pumps, 14 fans and pulls about 150-350w, monitors generally dont pull alot of power, i have an xr3501 that pulls about 50w, so ya 1kv would be perfect

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #394 of 562
@oneguy I see. And keep the jumpers on H2/H3 + X2/X3?
Correct, I always check the finished wiring with a multimeter to make sure it’s wired properly.

1. H1 and H4 to the case HAS TO read as an open circuit.

2. X1 to X4 should read something really low. Probably less than an ohm

3. H1 to H4 should read something really low. Probably less than an ohm

4. X3 to the ground should be low, close to 0 ohms or reading 0 ohms depending on your multimeter.

5. Re-check all the screws to make sure they are all tight then...

AFTER you have done the steps above (the first one is the most important) then plug it in and check the output voltage. On my non-balanced transformer setup I typically see 2-3v higher on the output side than the input side. I haven’t personally done a balanced setup and tested the voltage output but I imagine it should be about the same 2-3v above input voltage.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #395 of 562
IIRC it wouod not matter if X2 and X3 were jumped at the secondary. Since it is jumped at H2/H3 at the primary, when the center (Lets say X3) is tapped with ground, it is shared to X2, because they are jumped at the primary? I read a thread in auduogon where the gentleman only jumped H2/H3, then just ground tapped X2 or X3.

My link of reference:
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/wiring-an-isolation-transformer

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #396 of 562

TLDR, got to get ready for work

That sounds fishy. That would leave you with an open circuit since the black coil and white coil would not be connected to form a circuit.

Give it a shot though test it with a multimeter first. If there is a 120v potential across X1 and X4 then you know it worked. If there isn’t (this is where my mom let us at) then you know it didn’t.

I could be wrong but I don’t think I am.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #397 of 562
noisy SMPS that powers devices like LPS-1.2.
Yup, I keep all the ultracap chargers off the topaz' as well.
I am still trying to see if using a Topaz on the PC will improve the sound quality in any way if one was using a standard ATX power supply. When using a linear one which spits less noise out I do notice an improvement when connected to the Topaz, but using a noisy ATX might benefit the PC but then raise the noise floor for all other components connected to the Topaz.
I've wondered about this as well. I've read some studies about how line noise negatively impacts the performance of switching supplies, so using these with pcs should be beneficial in some sense. And the studies on phy noise starting at the modem would suggest that you can improve audio quality well before the transport to the dac.

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #398 of 562
At the VERY LEAST, i have a peace of mind that my PC is isolated from the mains. I believe a layer of hash was removed from the quality of sound after putting my PC on the Topaz.

Im running a 750W Seasonic PSU with a 1080ti GPU. IIRC i plugged a killawatt in front of my PC and it was measuring around 250-300watts, but when that GPU runs hard it gets cooking. Ill have to hook the killawatt up again and run the GPU hard and spec it.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #399 of 562
Ive got most everything separated, but maybe there are still some noise that gets shared through the lines.

-PC and monitors on a 1KVA.
-DAC and USB transport on THE 500VA.
-Paul Pang V2 USB card taking external power from an LPS that is plugged into an Tripp Lite Isobar 8.
-THX AAA 789 & Bottlehead Crack plugged straight into the Porter Port receptacle in the wall.

Really loving this setup.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #400 of 562
DMM leads on H1 and H4 reading 0.7 ohms

DMM leads on X1 and X4 doesnt read. But X3 and X1 read 0.7 and X4 and X2 read 0.7ohms.

1205191754.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #401 of 562
DMM leads on H1 and H4 reading 0.7 ohms

DMM leads on X1 and X4 doesnt read. But X3 and X1 read 0.7 and X4 and X2 read 0.7ohms.

PM me, it looks like from the photo you removed the jumpers From X2 to X3 which you had jumpered in a previous photo.

EDIT: If that was intentional, then disregard

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #402 of 562
Dec 15, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #404 of 562
I've got to say. With my PC and 2 monitors connected to my 1KVA Topaz the humming can get pretty gnarly.
Is that in the balanced setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back