Top Tier Showdown (Top Pick Announced)
May 23, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #196 of 366
@MaxwellDemon: It's true, while at times I did enjoy being able to hear when others would call for me, I didn't feel the sounds was at all intimate to the listener. It's as if the sound is being "wasted" as much to the outside, as it is being used. Besides, given your setup, I couldn't find a more practical means for them. I haven't any idea what to expect from the DBA-02, but if all goes as planned, we'll come to find out later today.
wink.gif

@munkyballz: If it sounds as good as it's reputation holds, and as long as I'm able to keep the FX700's in my ears for lengthy durations, I'd be willing to look past it's shortcomings. We'll know soon enough...
biggrin.gif

@Freefallr4545: Thank you for your kind words my friend! Surprisingly, I tried the olives just yesterday with the W4, and while the seal and comfort were absolutely amazing, the sound was slightly tuned down. Besides, I absolutely hate removing the olives. It's worse than opening a very stiff lid off of a jar! I'm not too worried with regards to the cable, as I'm not at all a rough user, and am always taking precautions. If worst comes to worst, as you mentioned, there's always the warranty coverage. This really has become quite the hobby for me, and I absolutely love how easy it is to appreciate the many ways that make each one uniquely distinct. I couldn't have said it better myself: [size=x-small]Actually made my life "quality". Let me do a head to head midrange comparison between the W4 and SE535 and I'll post back here soon enough.
smile.gif
[/size]

May 23, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #197 of 366
i2ehan, I got my UM3x today.

all I can say is WOW. This is exactly what I needed, the isolation is even better than the UM1, and the sound...WOW. I am sort of a noob to IEMs, my only other pair were the UM1s, but i've been around music production for years and am familiar with sound in general, and these are just something special. They aren't even really burnt in yet either, I've only been listening to them for 45 minutes...

I don't think I've ever enjoyed music quite so much. Thanks for the recommendation.

May 23, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #198 of 366
So glad to hear you love them already! It's an acquired sound signature; if you come to love it, you'll never look elsewhere, period!
wink.gif

May 23, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #199 of 366
The distinguishing factor between the W4 and SE535's midrange are most appreciated to my ears when listening for mid-vocals. And the difference here is as plain as day: the SE535 delivers much more prominent mids than the W4. When listening with the W4, my attention is drawn equally towards all frequencies; while with the SE535's, the mids are strikingly brilliant, and are the center of attention! If I were to truly compare mids, it'd be between the SM3 and SE535, since the SM3's mids too are very prominent, though I'd overall prefer the SE535's sound signature, since the presence of the highs is much better appreciated (to my ears) than with the SM3's.
smile.gif

May 23, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #200 of 366
Thanks. Haven't heard the SM3, but I was going to ask you about how they differ Midwise from the 535. you answered my question and thank you again. I owned a couple of the 530's for years, and loved them too, but I think Shure really hit this one out of the ball park. Subtle differences, but the exact fixes the 530's needed. Bass I nice and punchy, and the highs are PERFECT for that Sound sig. In my humble opinions the cymbal crashes, rides and High Hats sound the most true to life, even though you may have to listen for them beyond that Killer midrange

May 23, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #202 of 366
I'm really enjoying reading this thread. I've been stuck on the SM3's for almost a year and found that I like the sound signature best with the foam filter mod/with stock silicone tips. Does anyone else take those little stock filters out? Anyway, at first impression I too felt the SM3's were veiled in the upper regions.. but something about these iem's made me keep coming back to them. I've now moved on to customs which will soon be at my doorstep but keep up the good work on these showdowns..  :)

May 23, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #203 of 366
Question regarding your DBA-02 review: did you test it with the pictured foam tips, or Shure tips? Or something else? I wasn't clear.

Also, which tips did you use when you reviewed the CK10?

Thanks!

May 23, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #204 of 366
@justinxbailey: Thank you my friend, keep tuning in!
smile.gif
 I myself didn't remove any stock filters; in fact, I didn't even know there were stock filters present.

@AngryBaconGod: I tested all my IEM's with whatever they've been pictured, excluding the EX1000, which I decided to show bare since I couldn't find a comfortable enough seal with any tips (before I discovered my Shure E2C foams, which made a significant, yet unsatisfactory, improvement. The CK10's were coupled with the large Sony hybrid's, as shown.
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #205 of 366
@AngryBaconGod: I tested all my IEM's with whatever they've been pictured, excluding the EX1000, which I decided to show bare since I couldn't find a comfortable enough seal with any tips (before I discovered my Shure E2C foams, which made a significant, yet unsatisfactory, improvement. The CK10's were coupled with the large Sony hybrid's, as shown.
biggrin.gif

EDIT, nvm, I hadn't seen Sony Hybrids before.

May 23, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #207 of 366
Get ready for the monster hater's backlash. You should have waited until you bought the pair on the for sale forums before you posted the review. I bet you the seller won't sell them anymore and cause you just increased the resale value of the coppers by at least 20%
beyersmile.png

Quote:
eek.gif
 MTPC impressions posted!
basshead.gif

May 23, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #209 of 366
I thought Monster had, at least partially, redeemed themselves with the Turbines (starting from the base model) ? I wouldnt want to pay actual money for anything else they build, but these seem like a reasonable earphone, based purely on what I have read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back