Top Tier Showdown (Top Pick Announced)
May 24, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #226 of 366

Quote:

It's true, while I do agree with what our friend HynchSidrick said, it doesn't necessarily warrant the W4 as an updgrade IMO, though I can appreciate how some may feel otherwise. I too would agree that the W4 is nothing like the W3. That's what makes it unique, and were I to say that the W4 is an upgrade from the W3, it'd be the same as me saying the W3 is a downgrade from the W4, which I feel is far from the truth. During my listening sessions between the W3 & W4, which I too just couldn't wait to A/B, some tracks sounded just as exciting (if not better) with the W3 versus the W4, owing to the W3's more forward nature and boomier bass punch. Hence I'd say it's down to preference, as opposed to the W4 offering a clear-cut upgrade. While the track is of course more prone to sibilance (owing to the W3's more prominent highs), that's not to say it takes anything away from the W3; in fact, some may find it's prominence as an advantage, because there are tracks where even I wouldn't mind a bit more expression/presence in one area of the spectrum versus the other(s). Thus it's down to signature, and if you are content with the W3, there's no need IMO to feel the absolute "need" to own a pair of W4's. Just my 2 cents.
smile.gif

Oh, and thank you DaBomb; those are practically all on my list my friend. I'll see what I'm able to do. Meanwhile, the W4 seems to have hexed my MTPC, the moment I finished my write-up, and much like our Play-Pal friend Chucky, the W4 has made sure that it's the only toy in the house that gets my attention.
tongue.gif

Well Said. Some may Consider the W3's an Upgrade from W4's, or W2's (with their Midrange) an Upgrade from W3's. Its all Preference and its all music. An Old beat up Strat may be someones treasure. Some feel the new strats are better, and stay in tune better. 

May 24, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #228 of 366
Thank you all for your kind support!
biggrin.gif

I've updated the second post to indicate potential IEM's I'd be interested in A/B-ing against my current top pick(s) (which at the moment is between the W4, Tributes, and SE535). Thank you to our friend DaBomb77766 who inspired me to create the list. I'm open to suggestions of course, but cannot guarantee anything until and unless a deal comes along my way, sooner ot later.
smile.gif

May 24, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #229 of 366

Quote:
Nice impressions as always.  Bit surprised that the MTPC did so well among the titans, but of course as with all things, hearing and signature preferences is always personal and subjective.  Crazy to hear that they've took a turn for the worst though, you would figure Monster would have their QC in check being big as they are, but you hear all these stories... blah.

Pretty sure the FX700 is JVC's flagship IEM, unless they managed to slip one discretely through the cracks.

Right! I was thinking of the EX700, not the FX700.  Such similar names. :p

May 24, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #230 of 366
Quote:
Updates:

Current Ranking: W4 > MTPC = MMDT > [size=small]SE535 > EX1000 > SM3 >  UM3X > [size=small]IE8[/size]  > W3 > TF10 > DAB-02 = CK10[/size]

Having all the tested earphones, except for the EX1000 and the UM3X, I find the comparison to be close to my ranking. I tend to think the CK10 is at the bottom of my list of the top tier earphones. I also agree that the Coppers are one excellent and under appreciated set of earphones. I prefer the SE535 over the Coppers, or perhaps put them on a fairly close equal footing in my ranking as we all hear differently. Still they do things quite well in their own way.
My Miles Davis, bought at a great price used in like new condition, sits ready to be enjoyed.

Excellent job and looking forward to your future comparisons.

May 24, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #231 of 366
Thank you kindly! The W4's remain the most natural to my ears, though I'm enjoying the Tributes ever so much! I simply can't wait to A/B them against my Copper's once the replacement is in. One thing's for sure, not a day goes by that my W4's go unheard, and now it's beginning to look the same for the Monsters.
etysmile.gif

May 24, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #233 of 366
So from the RE262, my next step up the ladder has to be straight to the W3 - its a relief to have that out of the way. Now I can go back to my plans for the RS1.  
wink.gif

May 24, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #234 of 366
Thank you VolcomStone, I've got a friend who owns a pari and was hoping to have a listen if and when I'm able to. It's been a while since I last heard the MTPG, and at the time, nothing struck my interest. I definitely would consider a second listen however. 
smile.gif

May 25, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #235 of 366
Thought I'd update everyone. As usual, I've been listening back and forth between the W4, SE535, and Tribute. The W4 undoubtedly remains the top contender, and presents with the best overall quality IMO, while the Tributes pack a mix of quantity and quality (thought clarity and detail aren't nearly that of the W4), and the SE535's brilliant soundstage (with respect to both width and depth) and lush forwards are just mesmerizing with many tracks. While it's true, the SE535 is a tad bit on the bright side to my ears; IMO, this attribute plays in its flavor. The W4, for example, won't appeal to everyone for that very reason; it's nearly ruler-flat (as had been said again and again) and with certain tracks, the SE535's mids sound SO much more vibrant; it just brings the music to life! Hence it's more than obvious to me now that it's come down to strict preference. After hours on end, I've found that while the SE535's mids can't be matched, for me, that’s sort of where it begins and ends. While the bass brings both quality and quantity to the table, the midrange clearly predominates, and it's hard to take your attention off of it. I'm much more accustomed to the W4's signature, which draws my attention equally across the spectrum. Not to mention, I'm not at all a fan of the flex-wire which loops over the ear; I find it quite irritating at times, and the bulk of the earpiece itself only adds to my irritation. That puts me one step closer to the W4's and Tributes. I don't think I can praise the Westones any more than I have already, so what strikes my interest with the Tributes? What I love most about the Tributes is the impact and power of the bass; it's truly a "Monster". Not to mention, the mids aren't at all recessed or masked by the powerful bass, and the treble is clear from any sibilance whatsoever! The impact of the bass from the Tributes is equivalent to what my $300 Headstage brings my other IEM's, on the low bass setting, which warrants the amp almost unnecessary for me, as I'm more than content with the sound unamped. Surely, something must then set them apart from the Westones. And indeed, the clarity and detail the Westones bring me is still unparalleled to my ears! That's not to say the Shures/Tributes don't do a well enough job here; they each more than meet my expectations, and I'm strictly speaking in direct comparison. The truth is, they are all equally brilliant sounding in their own right, and necessitate the need for me to consider all the nitpicky details, in order to decide which one is best suited for my ears. The best thing about my progressive tracks is that the music progresses slowly (hence the name), beat by beat, and allows me ample time to A/B the contenders while the same exact same beat is repeated, as it progresses to the next one. I've officially set aside the SE535's, though I may come back to them once the Copper's are here again (for comparison sake). Till then my friends... stay tuned!  
etysmile.gif

May 25, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #236 of 366
Very nice impressions. The stage depth (dynamic range) of the Tributes is hard to match and fwir the SE535/SE530 also excel at this. But the Tributes just have a very thick and yet fun sound that is hard to match. 

May 25, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #237 of 366
Thank you my friend; you've got a wonderful line-up yourself!
wink.gif

The more I read on the SM3, the more I regret not having listened to it for the past few days. While I usually don't let others impressions reflect my own, since I'd rather stay true to my ears, I can't help but wonder just how much the SM3's "change" post burn-in. So here goes! I'm going to leave the SM3's exposed to white/pink noise for a few days (not like anyone's interested in buying them at the moment anyways), and will compare what I hear now to what I hear then. I've gotta settle this once and for all...
smile.gif

P.S. For the record, as of this writing, I have no regrets in saying that the SM3, at this very point in time, does sound slightly veiled and dark, mostly pertaining to it's highs here. I'll let my ears do the talking once I listen for their mysterious "transformation", if one exists in the first place. Though I've encountered too many similar findings to simply pass this up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back