TOP IEMS IN CERTAIN PRICE BRACKETS.
Dec 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

atomikn00b

500+ Head-Fier
Ok. Here's the deal. Sometime in the next 3 months I will be purchasing tons of great iems for the sake of comparison and finally sticking to one.
The thing though is. I want to divide them in price brackets so I know which ones to treat anyhow and which ones to treat like a newborn babe.

I need up to 10 recommendations for the first 2 price brackets, 5 from the next two, and 3 from the others.

First bracket: $0-15
Second bracket: $16-45
Third bracket: $46-75
Fourth bracket:$76-99
Fifth bracket: $100-150
Sixth bracket: $151-250

Thanks for your help. I appreciate the input.

Don't expect the comparisons anytime soon. I'm just building a list for now.
And by the way, NONE must have any hint of harshness or sibilance. If they do, it should be very very minimal.

Dec 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 34
I feel very strongly about these:

Third: Vsonic GR04 Flagship
Fourth: Etymotic HF5
Fifth: TDK BA200

Dec 17, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 34
Second: Vsonic Gr02 Bass edition
Sixth: Vsonic GR07 mk ii (sibilant though...)

Dec 17, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 34
Second bracket: sony mh1c, soundmagic e30, vsonic gr02 bass (its highs might be slightly harsh - I find them on the verge of turning harsh )
Third bracket: vsonic gr04 flagship
Fourth bracket: meelec a161p, etymotic hf5 (if you can get them at this price otherwise they go in the fifth bracket)

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 34
Having the MH1Cs myself and comparing it to the B2s in terms of clarity and fullness, I'd say they compete fairly. They have different signatures, equal amount of fullness, and nearly the same soundstage. I prefer the MH1Cs more since I prefer it's signature, as well as it has almost no sibilance to things I throw at it compared to the analytical B2s.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #10 of 34
It's at least 80% of them.
Quote:
Resurrecting this thread so I can get more recommendations.
You can't possible tell me that's all the top iems at headfi?

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:
Ok. Here's the deal. Sometime in the next 3 months I will be purchasing tons of great iems for the sake of comparison and finally sticking to one.
The thing though is. I want to divide them in price brackets so I know which ones to treat anyhow and which ones to treat like a newborn babe.

I need up to 10 recommendations for the first 2 price brackets, 5 from the next two, and 3 from the others.

• NONE
  • Dunu Trident
  • Etymotic EtyKids, HiFiMan RE400, HiFiMan RE0
  • MEElectronics A161, Brainwavz M3, ThinkSound MS01 or ThinkSound TS02 (sound preference dependent)
  • Brainwavz B2, Dunu Tai Chi, Etymotic HF5 (can be found in this price bracket easily)
  • Phonak PFE111, ACS T15, Monster Gratitude

Ideas for your price brackets.  No recommendations for under 16 :p  All recommendations from come start at 40 dollars.  List may be longer than you expect, so pick and choose which models look/feel most interesting to you and go with it :)  This should also give you a taste of every sound signature immaginable, from the analytical, to the bass heavy, to the v-shaped :)  

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #14 of 34
The majority of times I see specific recommendations for IEMs that haven't appeared in this thread, they can be chalked up to either 1) Lack of experience in the person giving the recommendation, or 2) A recommendation for an IEM that performs best with a specific kind of music, like one with great mids and sound staging being recommended exclusively for Classical music, while its bass, treble, and other qualities fall short of its competitors in its price range -- a "one trick pony".

There are also lots of times when IEMs that were at the top of the game 1, 2, or even more years ago get recommended because it's all the person has experience with, even though there are plenty of modern IEMs that fully defeat that recommendation. A good example is the Klipsch S4, which by modern standards is a horrible IEM for the MSRP of $80, and still quite bad at ~$30. But, back when it was first introduced (around 2005 I think?), it was unheard of to have an IEM that didn't sound like crap in the under-$100 bracket.

Quote:
really?
interesting.
If so few are at the top of their price brackets, why are there sooo many iem recommendations?

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #15 of 34
Here are my recommendations for what Ive heard and like. If a bracket is empty then I have no experience with any IEM's in that price range. I added a 7th bracket.

Quote:
Seventh bracket: $251+

1st: FocalPrice CK700
2nd: JVC "Marshmallow" HAFX34B
3rd: Brainwavz R1
4th: Etymotic HF2