Top current customs?
Oct 30, 2011 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Kanashimu

100+ Head-Fier
What are the top current all-around performers for customs currently?

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 18
Westone es5, ue-18 pro, and jh16/jh13 would my opinion of top current customs. Now there are hundreds of other options depending on price level.

Oct 30, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 18
That list is pretty good but missing many customs. It is a great read though.

Oct 30, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:

I've read this thread, thank you very much for your work. Its been very helpful.

Quote:
Eliminate "current" from your description.  There is a lot of current crap out there.  I continue to be floored by my UM2's introduced in 2004

By 'current' I mean anything available now. Release date doesn't matter :)

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
I've read this thread, thank you very much for your work. Its been very helpful.

By 'current' I mean anything available now. Release date doesn't matter :)

You're welcome!  I can rate the top that I have heard, but what do you mean by all-around performers?  There are many that perform at very high levels but have different strengths and weaknesses.  For example, the SA-43 can be a very neutral custom IEM and technically I rate it higher than the JH16, but the JH16 might be what you are looking for, a more exiting sound.  And within that technical rating, there are many attributes and one custom IEM doesn't excel in everything from clarity to warmth and naturalness to ultimate clarity and transparency, certain sound signatures have certain superior attributes based on that particular sound signature.

If you can share what specifically you are looking for you will get a better answer, narrowing down the number of "top" custom IEMs.  And are you open to buying from any country, or only specific locations as that will affect the recommendations.

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #11 of 18

Quote:

You're welcome!  I can rate the top that I have heard, but what do you mean by all-around performers?  There are many that perform at very high levels but have different strengths and weaknesses.  For example, the SA-43 can be a very neutral custom IEM and technically I rate it higher than the JH16, but the JH16 might be what you are looking for, a more exiting sound.  And within that technical rating, there are many attributes and one custom IEM doesn't excel in everything from clarity to warmth and naturalness to ultimate clarity and transparency, certain sound signatures have certain superior attributes based on that particular sound signature.

If you can share what specifically you are looking for you will get a better answer, narrowing down the number of "top" custom IEMs.  And are you open to buying from any country, or only specific locations as that will affect the recommendations.

All around as in good at every genre. Its better to have a lack of weaknesses than specific sonic strengths, though I love my mids. I'm confident that practically any IEM at the top range won't have issues with mids though.

I dislike recessed bass and mids. An absurd amount of bass or treble isn't good either. The flatter the FR graph the better, but I like a fun, exciting sound. I don't listen analytically 99% of the time, so I don't need anything cold and clinical.

The one thing I can sacrifice is soundstage. Maybe my headphones aren't particularly good for it, but its something I can't discern at all.

I have a bit over half a grand, so I'd prefer to buy a used custom and reshell, otherwise I'd be stuck with more of a mid-end custom, which can likely be a side-grade to my ES10s. Where I get them doesn't matter TOO much, I'll leave all locations open for now.

I understand that the ES3X isn't at the top but how does it compare to the other high ends?

Thanks for your input.

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #12 of 18
I will be posting my Dream Earz (formerly, or still currently DRM Earz until the make the chance) aud-5X review in the next week or 2 and it is $565 new with exceptional performance for the price.  Five drivers in a 4-way configuration with a great balance in the sound.  IMO buying new is a much safer bet as you never know if you will get the intended sound from a reshell, and with the cost of the impressions + reshell + used custom IEM chances are you will pay more.

I have never heard the ES3X but I have heard the UM3X which supposedly uses the same drivers and while it has its strengths it wasn't an all-a-rounder IMO.  From what I have read the ES5 competes, but there are many more mixed comments on the ES3X.  

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
I will be posting my Dream Earz (formerly, or still currently DRM Earz until the make the chance) aud-5X review in the next week or 2 and it is $565 new with exceptional performance for the price.  Five drivers in a 4-way configuration with a great balance in the sound.  IMO buying new is a much safer bet as you never know if you will get the intended sound from a reshell, and with the cost of the impressions + reshell + used custom IEM chances are you will pay more.

I have never heard the ES3X but I have heard the UM3X which supposedly uses the same drivers and while it has its strengths it wasn't an all-a-rounder IMO.  From what I have read the ES5 competes, but there are many more mixed comments on the ES3X.  

I've been looking for this DRM Earz 5X you're talking about but I haven't been able to find much about them and they're not listed on their website either. Has it not yet been released or you have a prototype? Five drivers, 4 way at $565 sounds like a good deal, looking forward to your review!

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
I've been looking for this DRM Earz 5X you're talking about but I haven't been able to find much about them and they're not listed on their website either. Has it not yet been released or you have a prototype? Five drivers, 4 way at $565 sounds like a good deal, looking forward to your review!

I have the only one other than Mitch's.  He is working on updating the site and hopefully my review will be ready when he officially launches the site as I have been side tracked for the past 5 nights...

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
Eliminate "current" from your description.  There is a lot of current crap out there.  I continue to be floored by my UM2's introduced in 2004

As I rarely see the UM2s talked about here, I'm piggybacking on this thread...

I've listened to only the UM2s for about 4 or 5 years now. I also recently picked up some DT1350s and I think they are similarly neutral but I still prefer my UM2s.  I've been considering moving to customs (ES5s) but I'm wondering if it is worth the cost considering how much I like the UM2s. Have you heard ES5s and do they retain the same signature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back