"Top audiophile experience" around 1000 bucks all included is it possible?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #16 of 272
Yes I do believe it sounds as good in it’s own way, that what I listed was my actual system. The reason for the different gear in my signature is not because I wanted upgrade.

The short story is it was the best I heard with HD650 but I worked long hours and spending more time away from home so less time with the desktop set up, I sold everything off and then spent a while searching for a portable solution to match the desktop. I found out it costs alot more money to get an IEM that competes at the same level as headphone performance. It took IE800S to make me more satisfied to being strictly portable. My new rig is better than before but it took a hell of a lot more money to make it happen.

Thanks your experience is very interesting and instructive ... It seems that price is not like linearly correlated to an audiophile experience indeed ....:beerchug:

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #17 of 272
I bought these used:
- Audioquest Dragonfly Red ($130)
- Audeze LCD-2 Pre-fazor Rev. 2.2 ($650)
OR
- Sennheiser HD660S ($400) -- I think I got lucky with this one.

Total: $780 OR $530

Nov 13, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #18 of 272
1000 dollars is a pretty arbitrary cut off, especially when it comes to headphones, which all things considered in the world of audio, are relatively inexpensive.

If you have already made the commitment to spend up to $1000, I think you owe it to yourself to explore the world fully. Go to meets. Go to canjams. Try a bunch of different equipment. Really understand what goes into audio reproduction, especially from the headphone perspective which is vastly different than speakers. Understand how to tell the difference between approaches to audio reproduction, and which approach resonates with you. Things like the Z1R, the Utopia, the LCD4 - all these things sound different and some people like some and other people prefer others. There are no right answers in this hobby.

It seems a bit silly to arbitrarily build a system with a $1000 budget, when maybe if you spent $1200 instead on slightly different equipment you could have a much better, enjoyable experience. What is the better deal, a $1000 system which you listen to for maybe an hour a week which you sort of like, or a $2000 system you listen to for an hour a day and blows you away with the sound?

People get too focused on the money, when really what this hobby is all about is enjoying your music.

Nov 13, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #19 of 272
Who knows how meaningful that $1k cutoff is, but it is the criteria he put out, and often when people recommend equipment, we take in consideration of the seeker's budget as not everybody values this hobby under same weight, and disposible incomes vary.

I agree that nearby outside the bounds of a value cutoff he put out, there can be a significantly better valued setup.

I also agree with participating in as many meets as possible to try out various setups as nothing can beat actually listening to the equipment. Another benefit is that, you run into various setups that people have put together from their research, and that has very high value.

And once you discover your personal preference in setups, show it off to others in meets. This is the kind of dynamics that helps the community, especially of the inexperienced.

I like meets very much.:smile_phones:

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #21 of 272
1000 dollars is a pretty arbitrary cut off, especially when it comes to headphones, which all things considered in the world of audio, are relatively inexpensive.

If you have already made the commitment to spend up to $1000, I think you owe it to yourself to explore the world fully. Go to meets. Go to canjams. Try a bunch of different equipment. Really understand what goes into audio reproduction, especially from the headphone perspective which is vastly different than speakers. Understand how to tell the difference between approaches to audio reproduction, and which approach resonates with you. Things like the Z1R, the Utopia, the LCD4 - all these things sound different and some people like some and other people prefer others. There are no right answers in this hobby.

It seems a bit silly to arbitrarily build a system with a $1000 budget, when maybe if you spent $1200 instead on slightly different equipment you could have a much better, enjoyable experience. What is the better deal, a $1000 system which you listen to for maybe an hour a week which you sort of like, or a $2000 system you listen to for an hour a day and blows you away with the sound?

People get too focused on the money, when really what this hobby is all about is enjoying your music.

Can you give an example of this?

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #22 of 272

It is a symbolic cut-off and it include all piece of gear.... I dont look for personal advice, my thread is to partake with all about our experiences and is there to give hope to ordinary and relatively poor audiophile..... A top audio experience is possible in this condition or not ? For me it is already there, but i dont want to speak about my experience first, i want to listen all yours.... Thanks for your reply and very good advice to all here.... For me it is not possible to go to meet or listen to many headphones....But after 7 years i have already, studied, compared, experimented in my home, and i am now no more frustrated by my system, that cost under 1000 thousand....This is the reason for the cut-off... and you are right, it is necessary to enjoy the music more than obsess on the gear...thanks for your interestings remarks...

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #23 of 272
It is symbolic cut-oof and it include all piece of gear.... I dont look for personal advice, my thread is to partake all about our experience, and is there to give hope to ordinary and relatively poor audiophile..... A top audio experience is possible in this condition or not ? For me it is already there, but i dont want to speak about my experience first, i want to listen all yours.... Thanks for your reply and very good advice to all here.... For me it is not possible to go to meet or listen to many headphones....But after 7 years i alreadt, read, study, compare, experiment in my home, and i am now no more frustrated by my system, that cost under 1000 thousand....This is the reason for the cut-off...

Yes, I understand the thought experiment, but I am challenging a few of the underlying assumptions you have. Mainly, that $1000 makes sense as a cut off point.

If one is able to spend $1000 dollars, a not insignificant sum, on audio equipment, then several other factors I believe follow.

One, this individual has the ability to save up at least four figures worth of income on a hobby. If four figures savings is possible to spend on this hobby, it necessarily follows that more is possible, given more time.

Two, this individual has enough free time to research, evaluate, and enough committed interest to get the point that they have made the decision to spend four figures on audio equipment. This implies a certain amount of free time, personal freedom, and again, income saving potential.

This leads to the next point, which is a frequent excuse, in that a person lives in some remote isolated location near the arctic circle, and cannot possibly demo or try any equipment, because it is simply not possible as there are no audio stores within 1000 miles.

I will also challenge this assumption, because again, if someone has the wherewithal to save four figures for an audio purchase, has the free time and interest necessary to research and understand the hobby enough to want to commit those funds, and further, lives nowhere near an area that allows them to sample these things yet is prepared to buy them sight unseen based on the aforementioned research - I will posit that this individual also has the means to buy a plane, train, bus ticket to a high profile audiophile event such as a CanJam, and sample copious amounts of such equipment to their heart's content. "It's simply not possible for me to try equipment" is not an excuse in a world where travelling from New York to Beijing costs a couple hundred dollars.

Again, if you are on a budget, and you have four figures of money to spend on this hobby, you owe it to yourself to fully explore your options.

Nov 13, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #24 of 272
Who knows how meaningful that $1k cutoff is, but it is the criteria he put out, and often when people recommend equipment, we take in consideration of the seeker's budget as not everybody values this hobby under same weight, and disposible incomes vary.

I agree that nearby outside the bounds of a value cutoff he put out, there can be a significantly better valued setup.

I also agree with participating in as many meets as possible to try out various setups as nothing can beat actually listening to the equipment. Another benefit is that, you run into various setups that people have put together from their research, and that has very high value.

And once you discover your personal preference in setups, show it off to others in meets. This is the kind of dynamics that helps the community, especially of the inexperienced.

I like meets very much.:smile_phones:

You are lucky to be able to go to meet, but many people are like me here and need the maximum information from others.... Best regards to you....

Nov 13, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #25 of 272
Yes, I understand the thought experiment, but I am challenging a few of the underlying assumptions you have. Mainly, that $1000 makes sense as a cut off point.

If one is able to spend $1000 dollars, a not insignificant sum, on audio equipment, then several other factors I believe follow.

One, this individual has the ability to save up at least four figures worth of income on a hobby. If four figures savings is possible to spend on this hobby, it necessarily follows that more is possible, given more time.

Two, this individual has enough free time to research, evaluate, and enough committed interest to get the point that they have made the decision to spend four figures on audio equipment. This implies a certain amount of free time, personal freedom, and again, income saving potential.

This leads to the next point, which is a frequent excuse, in that a person lives in some remote isolated location near the arctic circle, and cannot possibly demo or try any equipment, because it is simply not possible as there are no audio stores within 1000 miles.

I will also challenge this assumption, because again, if someone has the wherewithal to save four figures for an audio purchase, has the free time and interest necessary to research and understand the hobby enough to want to commit those funds, and further, lives nowhere near an area that allows them to sample these things yet is prepared to buy them sight unseen based on the aforementioned research - I will posit that this individual also has the means to buy a plane, train, bus ticket to a high profile audiophile event such as a CanJam, and sample copious amounts of such equipment to their heart's content. "It's simply not possible for me to try equipment" is not an excuse in a world where travelling from New York to Beijing costs a couple hundred dollars.

Again, if you are on a budget, and you have four figures of money to spend on this hobby, you owe it to yourself to fully explore your options.

This thread is not an argument about price, or meet, or travels or about my personal situation,so-called assumptions, possibility of travel, budget, .... You certainly can understand that some people for various reasons cannot go to a meet.... Some are young, old , not healthy, poor etc it does not takes a doctorate in rhetoric to understand that but only good faith; the reason of the thread is only about the possibility to discuss HOW and WITH WHAT it is possible to have an audiophile experience with a minimum of money, around 1000 is symbolic and does not concern any new or actual gear but also vintage , if they are no limits the thread has no more interest and are no more useful and will be battle about owners Utopia, STax 009 etc... Please read my first post i dont want to repeat the reason of this thread.... And i want to listen to people who have any interesting opinions about their audiophile experience at low cost, how they discovered that, and their tweaks if they had some etc

I will cite myself « It is very easy without limit of money to live this top audiophile experience, it need more thinking to relatively experience it with a drastic limit like 1000 bucks...Then it is interesting to share about that....»

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #26 of 272
Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #27 of 272
Interesting suggestions... Thanks...

But if you can correlate these suggestions to your own history and experience in relation with the question of this thread , i am sure that many will be interested.... Like i say i dont want to buy anything, just learn, like all those that will read this thread about your own experience, comparison, tweaks, methods to improve your actual gear etc.....:beerchug::beerchug: At least we all know now that you think that it is possible to have a high audiophile experience with these relatively low cost suggestions, but we dont know why you think that... But if you can say more that will be interesting....

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #28 of 272
I like it neutral. Discovered that my android smartphone + UAPP sounded better/cleaner than my PC + JRiver setup.

Started w/ an Echo Indigo IO + JRiver + HD-25 on my laptop in 2007 in the university days. Backed a GO1K. Added a Geek Pulse Infinity + LPS4 for my desktop. Later an HD600. Recently bought PMx2s + a used Heimdall 2.

My desktop rig is hooked to an Android TV 4K box w/ 8tb hdd (doubles for my UHD video) + LPS + LH Labs Revive USB reclock/cleaner (I too got hooked on that madness). For mobile duty my LG V20 smartphone.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #29 of 272
I understand and effectively the android phone will be cleaner than the pc i think .....A good idea.... Personally i have bought an isolator and the flow from my pc is clean, but an android phone is a good idea to test ....:L3000::L3000:

is this product makes a audible difference for you ? LH Labs Revive USB reclock/cleaner

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #30 of 272
It's like other USB regen/reclocks. But one thing I liked about it is that it has built in batteries. I can use it w/ my smartphone and hook it up w/ a portable dac/amp. Say a DF or GO1K without draining my smartphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back