Top 5 Hip Hop Artist of all Time
Jan 20, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #107 of 233
1. Notorious BIG
2. Nas (Really for just one album, but it's the best rap album of all-time.)
3. Kanye West (Screams from the haters got a nice ring to it: Five [count them, five] classic albums in a freaking row.)
4. Outkast/Wu-Tang (Groups, so tied?)
5. Jay-Z

Clearly, this leaves off all the 80s rappers, but that's how my listening history skews.

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #108 of 233

Quote:
1. Notorious BIG
2. Nas (Really for just one album, but it's the best rap album of all-time.)
3. Kanye West (Screams from the haters got a nice ring to it: Five [count them, five] classic albums in a freaking row.)
4. Outkast/Wu-Tang (Groups, so tied?)
5. Jay-Z

Clearly, this leaves off all the 80s rappers, but that's how my listening history skews.

You referring to Illmatic? And I agree with Wu, but they should be higher than Kanye :p.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #111 of 233
Jan 21, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #113 of 233
Jay-Z is amazing. From a musical career perspective, from a public figure perspective, from an influence perspective. I mean, let's be honest, I don't see Tupac or Eminem in any photos with Warren Buffet. He's a better-than-average rapper, a great story teller, and prolific as heck. Like it or not, he's defined success for a generation of rappers, musicians, and artists. And that clearly puts him in my own subjective GOAT discussion.

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #115 of 233
Yeah. He also blew up after copying Nas' flow. Jay-Z has changed his flow many a times, but many people, including Jay-Z himself credit Nas for his success. Look at Jay-Z's older stuff, and compare it to his new stuff. His style has literally done a 180 degree turn, lol. Not that that's bad. In fact, adapting is key to becoming a successful hip hop artist. Jay-Z is incredible when it comes to adaptation.

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #118 of 233
It's SO hard to pick 5, but i'll try my best. I'm not going to name groups or partnerships only single MCs.

My top 5 GOAT list is, in no particular order:

1) Big L
Tragically died far too early and did not really get the chance to mature as a rapper, but what he did make while he was alive is nothing short of stellar. His freestyle with jay-z made hova look like an amature, and showed that Big L had the ability to be the greatest of all time.

2) Canibus
I don't think there is a better MC alive right now, his lyrical composition, presentation and vocabulary are just above anyone else out there.

3) Notorious BIG
What can i say about the man with the smoothest delivery in the history of the genre if not music as a whole. It's easy to put biggie on a list of the GOATs, and the one thing i have to say is that his death(as well as Tupac) is what lead to less violence in hip-hop which is a legacy that can't be ignored.

4) KRS-One
The blast master has never released a bad album in my eyes and his evolution as a person and a rapper is very easy to see in his music. He started as a spitter of violent and criminal minded lyrics and literally grew up on his albums after Scott La Rock was shot and killed while they were working on their second album. He went forward with a message of less violence and really affected future generations of hip-hop artists.

5) MF Doom
The master of abstract thought put to into words is the best of this generation imo. Not only is he extremely skilled at his metaphor rich word play but also his production skills are just stellar. This man is going to a very big influence on the next several generations of hip-hop artists.

Jan 22, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #119 of 233

Quote:
It's SO hard to pick 5, but i'll try my best. I'm not going to name groups or partnerships only single MCs.

My top 5 GOAT list is, in no particular order:

1) Big L
Tragically died far too early and did not really get the chance to mature as a rapper, but what he did make while he was alive is nothing short of stellar. His freestyle with jay-z made hova look like an amature, and showed that Big L had the ability to be the greatest of all time.

2) Canibus
I don't think there is a better MC alive right now, his lyrical composition, presentation and vocabulary are just above anyone else out there.

3) Notorious BIG
What can i say about the man with the smoothest delivery in the history of the genre if not music as a whole. It's easy to put biggie on a list of the GOATs, and the one thing i have to say is that his death(as well as Tupac) is what lead to less violence in hip-hop which is a legacy that can't be ignored.

4) KRS-One
The blast master has never released a bad album in my eyes and his evolution as a person and a rapper is very easy to see in his music. He started as a spitter of violent and criminal minded lyrics and literally grew up on his albums after Scott La Rock was shot and killed while they were working on their second album. He went forward with a message of less violence and really affected future generations of hip-hop artists.

5) MF Doom
The master of abstract thought put to into words is the best of this generation imo. Not only is he extremely skilled at his metaphor rich word play but also his production skills are just stellar. This man is going to a very big influence on the next several generations of hip-hop artists.

Adub, I'm positive I like your list the most right now. KRS-One, Big L, MF Doom and Canibus are all personal favorite. Obviously Biggie was influential, I just don't like him personally. 

Jan 22, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #120 of 233
Tsk tsk, so many lists missing Rakim. You know, the guy to whom Jay Z, Eminem, Tupac, Raekwon and Nas, among others, have paid tribute to. Some have just plain admitted that Rakim is the one they studied when learning how to rap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back