Top 5 Hip Hop Artist of all Time
Dec 27, 2010 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 233

ptownjungle

Head-Fier
I noticed a few threads where people are looking for artists recommendations in the hip hop genre.  Thought id be cool for people who listen to hip hop to list of their top 5 artist of all time and why.. in no specific order.  Just remember everyone hears music differently so one persons list will vary from another.

Ill start it off...

Nas

The easiest way for me to explain why Nas is on my top five is to just say listen to the Illmatic album.  For the album to be released within a year of Wu-Tang's: Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers), The Notorious B.I.G: Ready to Die, and A Tribe Called Quest: Midnight Marauders it was make or break for the 18 year old.  Still today the album is ground breaking with tracks such as "The World is Your's" and "It Ain't Hard to Tell".  Also although it didn't get the recognition it deserved, Distant Relatives by Nas & Damian Marley was a very very warm album that stuck to it's roots and didn't fall for the radio friendly bass drops and auto tune we hear in every other song these days.

A Tribe Called Quest

I think one of the biggest reasons I have ATCQ on this list is due to the way they fused jazz and hip hop together for the first time.  The jazz was so ground breaking for the industry and production to this day whether it be original or sampling.  Also.. the flow is prime.

Biggie Smalls

Class, flow, rhythm.  Biggie just had a way with words everything he did just brings you in and forces your head to bounce.  I really don't think I need much explaining for this one.

Jay Z

I don't know many rappers who can paint a picture of life from hustling in the Marcy Projects to being one of Forbes top CEO's as well as he does.   It doesn't matter who you are or where your from you feel like a million dollars listening to his tracks.

Lauryn Hill

There are so many reasons why Lauryn deserves to be on this list... everything from her work as a member of the Fugees to her ability to look past money and fame to do what she feels is right. Talking about the music industry, "I was being way too compromised. I felt uncomfortable about having to smile in someone's face when I really didn't like them or even know them well enough to like them." In 1996 she released the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill which to this day is one of my favorite albums of all time.

To truly understand what Lauryn Hill has done you need to learn the history of her and her lyrics.  As an example look at the song Zion. After being told by movie producers and record labels to have an abortion with her first son (Zion) Lauryn released the following song...

"When some women are pregnant, their hair and their nails grow, but for me it was my mind and ability to create. I had the desire to write in a capacity that I hadn't done in a while. I don't know if it's a hormonal or emotional thing [...] I was very in touch with my feelings at the time."

I know its really hard to pick but I'm interested in who other people have on theirs.

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #2 of 233
My top 5 would be

1. Royce Da 5'9"  Because he is just so versatile.
2. Gangstarr Come on G.U.R.U. & DJ Premier are unstoppable, and it seems everything DJ Premier touches is golden.
3. Immortal Technique If this rapper doesn't make you think I don't what will. He reminds me of... well me. So raw and uncaring when it comes to his delivery just like me but without rapping haha!
4. Nine Very underground and not for everyone but very raw and gritty.
5. Celly Cel the only "Bay" artist I respect he's so mellow yet vicious when it comes to his lyrics.

and 6th just cause I can't keep 'em out would be Cafe Tacvba. Not really Hip-Hop but he does rap in some songs and left me very impressed.

By the way top 5 is extremely hard for me to pick so don't be surprised if I come back and edit it over and over and over again.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 233
hieroglyphics/souls of mischief
cali agents
jedi mind tricks/outerspace
gangstarr
the roots
lupe fiasco
dilated peoples
wu tang clan

sry, even tho i'm leaving lot of mc's off, felt like i wouldnt do this list justice without at least these

same reason for all  - pure hip hop, pure poetry, true art, actual thought, actual meaning, visions of visionaries, vision thru the clouded images, understanding of the system, understanding of the unseen, aware of illusion

Dec 28, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 233
Astronautalis & Blackalicious
I don't listen to much rap, so I can't give 5 hip-hop artists that I really love.  These are my two favorites!
http://listen.grooveshark.com/s/My+Dinner+With+Andy/1lwmM
http://listen.grooveshark.com/s/If+I+May/2z9STA
Astronautalis's music is a great blend of indie rock and rap.  The Mighty Ocean &  Nine Dark Theaters is an amazing album.  Blackalicious is an old favorite that I still enjoy occasionally.
I don't really listen to lyrics (it often takes a lot of concentration for me to understand what they're saying for whatever reason) so a lot of rap doesn't do it for me since the production is a bit bland for my tastes.  I think part of the reason I still enjoy Blackalicious is because I used to listen to lyrics when I was younger so the words have stuck with me and allowed me to enjoy their music even though I wouldn't necessarily like them if I started listening to them today.

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #8 of 233

Quote:
Astronautalis & Blackalicious
Good call bro, I've had the blazing arrow cd for a couple years now, but never paid attention to it.  I just got some new headphones and broke them in using cd instead of digital music since I use my laptop for other things.  Blazed a fat one, just threw on my headphones to see how they sound, blackalicious cd was playing, damnnn this boy RIPS it.  He got a different style, its pretty nice.

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 233
It's hard to make a GOAT list because there are so many great MCs out there and it really depends on your taste. You could make strong cases for Jay-Z, Nas, and Eminem. Others worth mentioning would be Rakim, Pac, Biggie, etc..

I feel like Lauren Hill is on that list as an obligatory female artist.

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #11 of 233
1, Digable Planets - "Reachin'' has been my favorite album since its release. The very definition of smooth, jazzy hip hop.
2. A Tribe Called Quest and pretty much the entire Native Tongues crew: De La Soul, Jungle Brothers, Prince Paul et al.
3. The Pharcyde - smart, tongue-in-cheek hip hop. And sweet childhood memories.
4. The Roots - Great songs, great musicians, great live act.
5. Jurassic Five - Oldschool, Baby!

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #12 of 233
haha its so hard to limit it to 5 i know.  I think I would have to switch Rakim and KRS-One in but i dont know who id take out haha.  jkladsjkladfjkladfadfl anyway keep em commin its pretty interesting to see.

I will say Im glad to see people here actually listen to some legit artist and not was played in constant on the radio.

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #13 of 233

Quote:
3. Immortal Technique If this rapper doesn't make you think I don't what will. He reminds me of... well me. So raw and uncaring when it comes to his delivery just like me but without rapping haha!

Plan on dedicating a solid 5 hours if your gonna listen to Tech...  i swear I end up catching myself researching crap he said for half an hour between each song.

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #14 of 233

Quote:
It's hard to make a GOAT list because there are so many great MCs out there and it really depends on your taste. You could make strong cases for Jay-Z, Nas, and Eminem. Others worth mentioning would be Rakim, Pac, Biggie, etc..

I feel like Lauren Hill is on that list as an obligatory female artist.

that's what makes it fun.. its so hard to do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back