Top 5 Hip Hop Artist of all Time
Dec 29, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #16 of 233

That's what I'm saying, his rhymes are pretty thought provoking. And as for 2Pac not being on the list. I don't know he's... kinda overrated. I mean I respect his impact to the genre but I am not a huge fan of his.
Quote:
Quote:
3. Immortal Technique If this rapper doesn't make you think I don't what will. He reminds me of... well me. So raw and uncaring when it comes to his delivery just like me but without rapping haha!

Plan on dedicating a solid 5 hours if your gonna listen to Tech...  i swear I end up catching myself researching crap he said for half an hour between each song.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #18 of 233
I don't listen to rap too often, but one artist i respect would be the lady of rage

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #19 of 233
  1. aesop rock
  2. charlie tuna from jurassic 5
  3. lauryn hill
  4. blackalicious

sorry - there are only 4 good rappers
wink_face.gif

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #20 of 233
I'm actually glad to see folks keep naming Lauryn Hill, even if she didn't make my own Top 5. The great music she made far surpasses, say, Tupac's…trouble is, there's just not enough of it. Same with Digable Planets…Reachin' is a one-of-a-kind album I still play from time to time, but what followed wasn't as cohesive.

As for a group I feel needs more love even though I didn't vote for them is De La Soul. They've consistently made fine albums for quite awhile now. Makes me wonder if the reason they don't place is that you never think of the MCs separately?

Dec 30, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #21 of 233

Quote:
I'm actually glad to see folks keep naming Lauryn Hill, even if she didn't make my own Top 5. The great music she made far surpasses, say, Tupac's…trouble is, there's just not enough of it. Same with Digable Planets…Reachin' is a one-of-a-kind album I still play from time to time, but what followed wasn't as cohesive.

As for a group I feel needs more love even though I didn't vote for them is De La Soul. They've consistently made fine albums for quite awhile now. Makes me wonder if the reason they don't place is that you never think of the MCs separately?

My view on De La Soul is.. if you don't just listen to rap but truly understand hip-hop as a culture then De La Soul will always be somewhere in your mind as a great even if you have to dust it off a bit.  If i bring them up in a conversation with friends it'll be like talking to a brick wall but every once in a while I'll come across someone who knows hip hop and will smile at the name... to me it just seems that those type of moments add to their legacy. 

Dec 31, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #22 of 233
In no particular order:

Biggie
Kanye West
Jay-Z
Outkast (as soloists too)
Fugees

Jan 5, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #24 of 233
Nas
2pac
Snoopdog
Master p
Beastie Boys

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #26 of 233
Public Enemy, Eric B & Rakim, NWA, Cypress Hill w/ soft spots for De La Soul, Tribe, Digital Underground and the originator Grand Master Flash.

Lyrically speaking Gangstarr, Tupac, Cube, Big Daddy Kane.  Hell, I'll toss in Monie Love as well.

Heavy D shout out.

Edit - Holy Crap, forgot The Beastie Boyz (vevo alert, video is worth it).  Major offense.

For those that think Rap/Hip-hop isn't 'music'.  An argument from Stetsasonic.

An enlightening message from Grandmaster Flash.

Jan 5, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #27 of 233
You have not experienced hip hop until you have listened to this GOAT list:
Anyone can list the conventional greats.
Unless you know who these people are, you're just a tourist.

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #29 of 233
iesha FTL rofl, next thing you know criss kross and snow will hit the list....Informer?!?! lol....

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #30 of 233
Shaq was garbage. 
He's up there just for comical effect. 
Trying to break up this nerd convention like you guys are arguing over Star Trek.

All the other people though, even if time wasn't generous with bestowing legendary status on them,
they were still a big deal for those of us that lived through the era. 
Yes, ABC was a one hit wonder. 
Yes, these songs were throwaways. 
They are still part of the soundtrack of my life.
It was a different hip hop then. 
People used to dance and smile.
Rappers had clever wordplay and stories. 
Then one day everybody wanted to shoot guns, sell drugs and have Lil Wayne guest star.
I like Weezy sometimes, but this is all there is now.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back