Top 5 Hip Hop Artist of all Time
Jan 5, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #31 of 233
Grandmaster Flash & Sugarhill Gang, if I have to explain this one...
Run DMC, you cannot beat "Rock Box"...
Eric B & Rakim, quote:"It's been a long time, I shouldn't have left you. Without..."
Tribe Called Quest, one of the few Hip Hop groups I dig when I want some jazzy vibes.
Missy Elliot, she redefined a 'genre'

If I have to limit my self to five. Among the contributing artists of Sugarhill Gang there were also female MCs and in that aspect Grandmaster Flash & Sugarhill Gang was very much ahead of its time. If a sixth name was allowed either Lauryn Hill or Nas. Jay-Z's first album is also very good but I still liked Nas' first album a bit more. Without vocals "Illmatic" still is an incredible album.

Jan 5, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #32 of 233

Quote:
Shaq was garbage. 
He's up there just for comical effect. 
Trying to break up this nerd convention like you guys are arguing over Star Trek.

All the other people though, even if time wasn't generous with bestowing legendary status on them,
they were still a big deal for those of us that lived through the era. 
Yes, ABC was a one hit wonder. 
Yes, these songs were throwaways. 
They are still part of the soundtrack of my life.
It was a different hip hop then. 
People used to dance and smile.
Rappers had clever wordplay and stories. 
Then one day everybody wanted to shoot guns, sell drugs and have Lil Wayne guest star.
I like Weezy sometimes, but this is all there is now.  

So basically, what you're saying is Redhead Kingpin makes you yearn for a time before you spent waaayyyyy too much money on audio, right?
atsmile.gif
No shame there…the FBI's beats were ridiculous. That was back when New York could still claim to be center of the universe.

Jan 5, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #33 of 233

New Jack Swing FTW son.
Phife can eat a duck. haha
I'm just saying.
These GOAT discussions don't ever go anywhere.
There's like 30 names total that get rotated around in different orders. 

Just saying all that golden age stuff was my childhood.
I bet less than half the posters in this thread could say the same.
You can't talk about GOAT without knowing the history.
You won't know the history through wikipedia.

Do I need to make my point? 
Name the 5 best Africa medallion groups. 
If you can rattle those off, then yeah you ain't fakin the funk. (reference?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So basically, what you're saying is Redhead Kingpin makes you yearn for a time before you spent waaayyyyy too much money on audio, right?
atsmile.gif
No shame there…the FBI's beats were ridiculous. That was back when New York could still claim to be center of the universe.

Jan 5, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #34 of 233

Quote:
Do I need to make my point? 
Name the 5 best Africa medallion groups. 
If you can rattle those off, then yeah you ain't fakin the funk. (reference?)

…"De La Soul…from the soul…black medallions…no gold…"

Jan 5, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #35 of 233
You're a tru blu jungle brotha. 

Crickets up in here though.
People postin like they wanna impart knowledge on others. 
PUH-LEASE.
It's okay to not know.
But don't act like you do know, when you don't know.   

Jan 5, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #37 of 233
Sugarkang, did you actually live in the time of the early/rootsy Hip Hop groups? If so I cannot imagine how much fun you had in your day...

I used to be into this music and from the late seventies to the late eighties there was a lot of creativity. I would almost include the Newcleus or Souls Of Mischief and others but limiting yourself to 5 makes it hard to choose. I used to really enjoy DJ Funktual's "Top Ten..." videos and I am occasionally still digging for the better Hip Hop albums. Are the later De La Soul albums really that consistent by the way? 

Jan 5, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #38 of 233

I saw Tribe and De La during the Native Tongues tour. 
Pretty sure they were promoting Buhloone Mind State and Midnight Marauders at the time. 
Jungle Bros absent because they were beefin.
Either Pharcyde or Souls of Mischief opened, but I can't remember.
I missed them because I was late to the show.

I remember Posdnous was trying to get the crowd hype.
He tried to have the left and right sides of the audience do different verses on his mark. 
One side was supposed to do Dr. Dre - Nuthin but a G Thang.  No problem.  This is Cali.
The other side was supposed to do Eric B. is President but nobody in Cali knew the words:
I came in the door, I said it before, I never let the mic magnetize me no more...

Pos did a facepalm.

I don't know about De La albums being consistent. 
I like the first four.
Dead is prolly my favorite. 
I stopped listening to hip hop in like 1998 or so. 
Started playing guitar and got into indie rock and country. 

Quote:
Sugarkang, did you actually live in the time of the early/rootsy Hip Hop groups? If so I cannot imagine how much fun you had in your day...

I used to be into this music and from the late seventies to the late eighties there was a lot of creativity. I would almost include the Newcleus or Souls Of Mischief and others but limiting yourself to 5 makes it hard to choose. I used to really enjoy DJ Funktual's "Top Ten..." videos and I am occasionally still digging for the better Hip Hop albums. Are the later De La Soul albums really that consistent by the way? 

Jan 5, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #39 of 233
How on earth did it take 7 posts for KRS-One to be mentioned?

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #42 of 233
I'd have to say one of my favorite rap artists would be 2pac

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #44 of 233
Jan 5, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #45 of 233

Users who are viewing this thread

Back