Top 10 worst headphones
Feb 1, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #91 of 131
Sony MDRV-150....although they sound better than most packaged earbuds and are pretty cheap they are the most uncomfortable cans I have ever had on my head....and I have akg k81dj's...also the build quality sucks!

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #92 of 131
Most overpriced and god awful sounding headphones:
Standard Closed Darth beyers.
God they sound like ass. I have never heard a headphone where the bass distracts you from the rest of the music quite like the darths. I can't see why anyone would like them.........

No worst headphone list should be complete without a slew of Sansui headphones. Oh boy, I had a pair of them that my dad picked up at a yard sale. The apple I'buds blow them out of the water.

OVC T20 also sound pretty bad. I've never heard a headphone, or IEM for that matter, to be completely devoid of any bass... but the T20 seem to pull that off with flying colors.

So there's 3.

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #93 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OVC T20 also sound pretty bad. I've never heard a headphone, or IEM for that matter, to be completely devoid of any bass... but the T20 seem to pull that off with flying colors.

So there's 3.

I second that.

Feb 1, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #94 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree mostly... the KSC75 is pretty good for the price though, and the 580 is a tad better than the 650...

BUT, I can not get past the veil on the sennheisers. It is unacceptable, and I can't believe there are so many people that can't hear it (or at least that's what they claim).

And if it exists on an amp that is able to drive it sufficiently without distortion or clipping (and most are), moving up to an insanely expensive amp will NOT get rid of it. If any amp were to so drastically change the frequency response, then there would be something radically wrong with it.

Now... I do believe that Sennheiser designed the HD580/600/650 around a specific shaped ear, and people who are closer to that shape will hear it closer to how it was designed to sound, and that people who are farther from it will not. I am quite far from it.

I too hear the veil SOOOOO MUCH! I got the 580's, and sold them in 1 month time. When I did hear them, it was through a zana deux and a B-52. Then again - what doesn't sound good through those?

Seriously though, my 30+ yo audio technica's beat them hands down.

Feb 1, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #95 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will surely do.
smily_headphones1.gif
Seriously, maybe some explanation on this?

I'm repeating this again and again: I listened to two well broken in pairs several times in several rigs of different price range, and I hear the same K701's sound each time. They are overrated, like other guys say, period.

I agree, I've had mine for a few days now and frankly they're ****. Then again there's absolutely no substitute for loudspeakers for the best experience, headphones are toys so maybe I should just say headphones are no good full stop.

Plenty like on here seem to think they're getting high end sound though, so don't want to spoil that. Each to their own.

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #97 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too hear the veil SOOOOO MUCH! I got the 580's, and sold them in 1 month time. When I did hear them, it was through a zana deux and a B-52. Then again - what doesn't sound good through those?

I hear this so often that I wonder......have you ever considered that, given your experience playing in an orchestra, your perspective on balance could different from those of us who are never seated in the midst of an ensemble?

When you play in an ensemble, you are hearing mostly "beamed" or direct, near-field high frequency content on stage. That balance is quite different than the sound out in the house, where one doesn't have to be seated very far out at all for the overall sound to be a roughly equal mix of direct and reflected sound. I found a great explanation of this some time ago--that the "beamed" sound tends to go over the heads of those toward the front of the main floor, and those in the balcony (where I always choose to sit if possible) are far enough away that while the "beam" is effectively still direct, it's attenutated by the distance.

My other putative theory is that listeners who have "grown up", in a sense, with iPods and earbuds/IEM's have a tendency to prefer peakier highs. If those peaks aren't present when one expects them, it can give the impression of a "veil".

On the other hand.....my son, who has played alto sax in wind ensembles for 10 years, got a pair of Alessandro MS-1's and loved them for a year or so, then bought some HD580's.......and tells me that he rarely, if ever, listens with the Alessandro's any more.

Feb 1, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #98 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by brotherlen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skull candy products. Just poop, just plain poop.

Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel about them?
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #99 of 131
I wanna add the Shure inline volume control to this list. I just bought some E4Gs and because I am still waiting for my amp to be delivered thought I would use the inline volume control with my iMod which I thought would be a better option than my regular iPod.

Well it gave me a panic attack. The phones sounded awful! No bass, flat, lifeless... I thought I had fakes. then I tried the CK7s through the volume control and they were the same. I was happy because the E4s are not fakes but that volume control is AWFUL!!!

Feb 1, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #100 of 131
I'd also vote for the Skullcandy Skullcrushers.

My little brother got these for his birthday and god do they sound awfull!

It only vibrates and brings very distorted and muffy low end. No highs at all.

I'm just too happy with my K701 and HFI-2200. Poor little guy.....

greetz

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #102 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by magnetiq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all stupid Technics

i've had the (mis)fortune of owning 2 and BOTH of them lost sound in the left cup very quickly.

Really which version do you have i have the newer DJ1200 Technics and these things are built like a tank
confused.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #103 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Music Hunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I rather have skullcandy than the UE super.fi 3 what a waste of money i felt like as if i was listening to the ipod headphones never again will i go with ultimate ears!

Naturally, you heard the worst headphone they make, so you should write off the entire line.

Feb 8, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #104 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinobiwan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, I've had mine for a few days now and frankly they're ****. Then again there's absolutely no substitute for loudspeakers for the best experience, headphones are toys so maybe I should just say headphones are no good full stop.

Plenty like on here seem to think they're getting high end sound though, so don't want to spoil that. Each to their own.

Im sure if you heard a pair of top tier headphones your opinions would be radically different. Tell a guy that plopped down 13k on an Orpheus that he just bought a toy and see what response you get.

Feb 12, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #105 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinobiwan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Man, you think full-size speakers are good? I sit in the middle of a concert hall every night. It blows your puny little speaker system away! Speakers sound so artificial, and the acoustics surrounding them are horrid by comparison. There is no substitute for actually hearing the music through the instruments that are producing it! But then again, speakers are toys so maybe I should just stop. God forbid we actually want to discuss headphones on a forum dedicated to headphones.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back