Tool - my last rock concert
Jun 9, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
Maynard and his peace, love and understanding attitude, and in reality he's very american with his shock and awe approach.

What's that supposed to mean?

Jun 9, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #17 of 40
Some groups play insanely loud......earplugs are very good idea.

I went to Ministry concert in Chicago @1993 with Psalm 69 tour without earplugs and could not hear right for close to a week! I have seen them many times before but this time sound levels were off the charts loud.......

Jun 10, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry
What's that supposed to mean?

It means that it's not wise to make a joke when your lingual skills are not up to par to convey the punch line.
I could quote lyrics and interviews and relate them to my war analogy, but under these circumstances we are both better off when I just qote my sig. Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
Any confuzzing or offense is due to my poor english.
Unless it is intended.

And in this case confusion or offense were surely not intended.

Peace.

In hindsight I have to laugh about the ruined concert.
Maybe Maynard has read about the rockstar the protagonists met at "The restaurant at the end of the universe" (by Douglas Adams) and decided to adopt the role model.
This guy was banned from most planets since his shows tended to have a devastating effect on the ecosphere.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #19 of 40
cosmopragma- well, maybe it's time to switch genres and develop some new tastes. Don't give up on live music because of this. If you have any interest in classical or jazz, you can attend concerts without risking permanent tinnitis. Many performances are unamped, and you can really enjoy the detail of the instruments. Nothing against rock, and I'll go to a rock show every few years, but I can't stand the SPL, either.

And just curious, what's the point to all this? The SPLs do cause hearing damage, you can't talk to anyone and the music sounds terrible. Why?

Jun 10, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
And just curious, what's the point to all this? The SPLs do cause hearing damage, you can't talk to anyone and the music sounds terrible. Why?

It's all about who can be the loudest. The battle of the bands, so to speak. Also I think they have the false mentality that the louder the better. I don't know why people have this belief, but it's simply not true. There is nothing like an acoustic concert, and it is so rare to find one in the rock genre.

Jun 10, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #21 of 40
i never go to a show without ear plugs. ever. with a good pair of earplugs many shows are still loud but very comfortable. that being said, i have been attending far less shows these days

the last 3:

Tool - i actually took out the plugs because the sound levels were quite good! the show was held in a real opera house here in toronto. the acoustics were amazing.

Broken Social Scene - The show was amazing but the sound was SO LOUD and SO SHRILL that even my earplugs hardly shielded me from this craptastic venue. If anybody is from the Toronto area, or is thinking of coming here for a show...STAY AWAY from the Kool Haus. Hate that venue..

NIN/Queens of the Stone Age/Death From Above 1979 - what a ROCKING show. I was 1 person away from the barrier - stage right. The ear plugs where in 100% of the time (except b/w sets so i could talk to my friends). The show was held at the big hockey/basketball arena and since the sound system is made by bose....i digress
tongue.gif

Bands i still want to see live...
Sigur Ros
Foo Fighters
Daft Punk
Muse
Radiohead
RHCP
...and more
basshead.gif

Jun 10, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by memoriesaflame
If anybody is from the Toronto area, or is thinking of coming here for a show...STAY AWAY from the Kool Haus. Hate that venue..

I actually like the Kool Haus (although the name is ridiculous). It's still not quite as good as the very best few venues in town, but it's pretty darn good. If you think it's bad now, did you ever go to it when it was just The Warehouse? They did a total reno of the place and made it look and sound 100x better.

I have to say that I bring Ety earplugs to every show I go to (a lot), and always have them work perfectly to create perfectly enjoyable sound levels. Live concerts of all types are thankfully a huge and essential part of my music enjoyment.

Jun 10, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #23 of 40
I got to see A Perfect Circle twice in 2005, and can say that the SPL were perfectly acceptable. I was standing about 15 rows back from center stage as well.

Jun 10, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #24 of 40
The last concert I went to was Tool in Hamilton, Lateralus tour. I bailed from six feet front and center for bodily safety and ended up sitting with my back against the rear wall of the arena. With the crowd buffering the sound it was OK but I still had ringing ears for hours. Quote:

Originally Posted by s m @
The Warehouse?

Hmmm...I saw or rather listened to Sonic Youth there. Sitting with my back against the rear wall drinking beer. I detect a previously unaware of bizarre personal trend.
tongue.gif

So everyone thinks concerts are too loud. Is there any chance that they who stage shows care?

Jun 10, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #25 of 40
Interesting, Cosmo (buyer of my Grado 225s yesteryear), I saw Tool recently in NYC and felt no need to use my Ety-Er20 earplugs. Like memoriesaflame, the show was at a small ballet/opera house and the levels were quite reasonable. Of course, I was not up front, and maybe that made a difference. I was in the rear mezzanine. Anyway, I really, really enjoyed this show. I love them so. Sorry it was not a perfect Tool experience for you.

- walkman

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
I went to Ministry concert in Chicago @1993 with Psalm 69 tour without earplugs and could not hear right for close to a week! I have seen them many times before but this time sound levels were off the charts loud.......

I just saw Ministry maybe a month ago, and the volume was insane. The pre-recorded opening to the song Psalm 69 is, without a doubt, the loudest thing I have ever heard in my life. And this is coming from someone who went deaf in one ear for 24 hours after seeing Motorhead.

That being said, I'm going to buy ER-20's and see Ministry again next year.

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #27 of 40
I've never been to a concert that I could consider loud, and I have very sensitive ears. Even shows like Bela Fleck, The Disco Biscuits, and other groups you'd expect to be loud, weren't to my ears. I always bring ear plugs anyway, because I really cherish my hearing. Jazz clubs have terrible acoustics, but the sound is always, of course, just right, since the show's completely void of electronics. Those are my favorite kind of events, not just for sound, but also for the music in itself.

Then again, I don't go to too many skankin wankin ska/punk/metal concerts, so...
tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2006 at 10:15 AM Post #28 of 40
@cosmopragma
I guess you've been to the concert in Düsseldorf in the Philipshalle? That's funny, I've been there, too.
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately I came late and therefore missed Rosetta Stoned.
About the sound: I agree, it was very loud. Yet I could stand the volume without any problems (I didn't use earplugs). I was standing to the left side of the mixer (Mischpult) throuhgout the whole concert, so I, too, was not even close to the stage.
As a matter of fact I really liked the sound. I agree, the bass was just insane (if you left after two songs you missed Right In Two. This was the song with the deepest and strongest bass. By far.), however I've been to rock concerts that actually were on the same volume level but just sounded awful. For me it was the right mix between powerful, well-defined sound and tolerable volume level.

It just depends on what you expect. I knew the volume would be very, maybe even painfully high. I guess that is just typical for rock concerts.

Jun 11, 2006 at 10:37 AM Post #29 of 40
It's the same in every night club. Music is way too loud. It sucks that you have to yell to your friend so he/she can hear you. Does anyone know why they play it so loud?

Jun 14, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #30 of 40
I was at the show in Düsseldorf too and felt the same way cosmopragma did. When the band started to play I thought about going out. My saneness was clearly against the show, but my heart wanted to see and hear them. So I stayed and after 2 songs or so the pain was tolerable.

But what made me very happy and stunning at the same time was that the sound which my HP's can give me is even better than live. It's clear and well seperated, not just loud and grumbling. At home I can hear Maynards voice, too...
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

In the end it wasn't bad and I'm happy to have been there, but it was my first and last rock-concert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back