Tool - my last rock concert
Jun 8, 2006 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

cosmopragma

Headphoneus Supremus
Too young to die too old to rock'n roll.
confused.gif

I couldn't stand the SPL.
~110 - 115 dB.It's estimated , but I think I'm not exaggerating.
Even with inserted ER-20 style earplugs it was too loud for my tastes.
Most attendees were twentysomethings, and me and my GF were the only ones equipped with earplugs.
I don't know what to think, I guess most of them are already hearing impaired.
I bet for some of them this evening will end with tinnitus.
I've left the concert hall after two songs.
I'm done with rock concerts.Seriously.

I feel old and depressed.
mad.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 40
Terrible isn't it, I went to my first gig this year (Doom Metal gig) and yeah it was just far, far too loud.

Hopefully they'll invent something that blocks out 35-40dB of ambient noise
mad.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 40
Im a young guy and I find most to be way to loud. Its not neccesary at all to have the volume up that much, I guess its because of the instilled idea that rock has be as loud as possible.
methinks its because most sound guys lose hearing early on, so they compensate by turning everything up.

Jun 9, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 40
I reported on a Natalie Merchant concert I went to in California that had abysmal audio, the vocals sounded piercing, shrill and too loud, with a bad mix. I couldn't get into the show and left after the first half. It's not limited to rock shows......

Don't let this experience cool you to seeing Tool again. If I'm not mistaken, you saw them as part of a festival, and I don' think they had any control over the sound. On their own tours, the sound is much better. It is still quite loud, but I don't ever recall it being deafening.

Jun 9, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 40
yeah I don't know what's up with the shrill piercing sound at some places. There's a venue in town I refuse to go to anymore because I did hear one really good show there with good sound back about 5 years ago, and since then everything I've seen has hurt my head. Shows that they DO have the capability for good sound but just don't bother or something.

Jun 9, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 40
I've had the same sentiment for a long time, many concerts are way too loud. Then I went to a couple concerts that were quite reasonable. Thornley, Killswitch Engage were loud, but not unbearable like AC/DC was. I usually find outdoor concerts are usually OK. Probably the best SQ I've experienced lately would be the foo fighters, I was really suprised. It's hit and miss and depends largely on venue.

Jun 9, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 40
I ALWAYS ALWAYS have some foam earplugs when I go to a rock concert, I don't care about how big of a ****** I look like, my hearing is uber important to me and I really don't care what anybody there thinks about it. Interestingly enough, driving with your window down can be just as bad for your hearing because you do it for a more extended period of time. Even a constant sound that is much quieter is worse for you if you are exposed to it for too long. Be careful kids!

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
It has been a long, long time since I have really enjoyed myself at a concert. The sound level along with the audio mix quality are definately a large contributing factor (and yes, I too use the ER-20s). I keep questioning why I even bother to go anymore...

Sad, really.

Me too. I've wanted to go to a myriad of concerts over the last year but I have never felt the urge to really plunk down the cash knowing the venue sucked, the sound would suck, stoned 16 year olds would suck and um...yeah.

I saw Sigur Ros last year and it was astounding, but not too loud. It was held basically in a school auditorium.

The last real concert I went to that I enjoyed was U2's Popmart tour. Ironically, at least the Montreal show, the sound levels were quite good, with ear plugs I couldn't really make out the words. A good sign.

I want to see them again, and I want to see Radiohead, and maybe Underworld in a rave setting, but that is about it for me on those shows I REALLY want to be at.

Otherwise, chambre ensembles...jazz shows at the national art center do it for me. Cheap (because I am a student) acoustically awesome venue and the sound is never amplified so it is always a pleasing volume.

Jun 9, 2006 at 9:09 AM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
Too young to die too old to rock'n roll.
confused.gif

I couldn't stand the SPL.
~105 - 110 dB.It's estimated , but I think I'm not exaggerating.
Even with inserted ER-20 style earplugs it was too loud for my tastes.
Most attendees were twentysomethings, and me and my GF were the only ones equipped with earplugs.
I don't know what to think, I guess most of them are already hearing impaired.
I bet for some of them this evening will end with tinnitus.
I'm done with rock concerts.Seriously.

I feel old and depressed.
mad.gif

Don't worry cosmopragma, I was to the Tool concert of Luxembourg a week ago, and it was also too loud for me really. But as I love the band I quite enjoyed myself nevertheless. There were a lot of people, young and old, wearing earplugs though, and I would've worm mine as well if I hadn't forgotten them.
rolleyes.gif

That'll be quite the lesson for me as I had a slight buzzing noise in my ears for about 3 days after the show.

EDIT: Oh, and I consider myself to be pretty young.
tongue.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma

You left a tool show? man that sucks...

The last show I went to I wore ear plugs to and it made a huge difference...

Jun 9, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #12 of 40
the same when I was on Foo Fighters . It's so many times hard to tell music is music that you just know the songs and only keep after them , this when volumes are very high and not well equalized

Jun 9, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
You left a tool show? man that sucks...

The last show I went to I wore ear plugs to and it made a huge difference...

My earplugs were equipped with -12dB inlays.That's just right for the club in the neighborhood (and the - 9dB inlays are good for the movie theater), but not enough for this particular show.The Ety ER-20 do provide -20 dB attenuation, maybe that would be enough.
I did listen to the inferno for about 2 minutes without protection, and it was really painful.My GF (younger than me and blessed with better hearing) tried it, too, and was not able to stand it for more than 5 seconds.You should have seen her facial expression.
We weren't even close to the stage.
I mean, I'm supposed to pay for being terrorised like Noriega?
Maynard and his peace, love and understanding attitude, and in reality he's very american with his shock and awe approach.
Frankly, it felt more like being the guinea pig in a weapon test.
And the bass, oh man.I do rate it at 6.5 on the Richter scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back