Tooby sounding SS amp for HD650's?
Sep 1, 2005 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

jimmyjames8

500+ Head-Fier
OK. I've read tons-O-posts about Senn HD650's and toob amps. Don't really want to go over to the dark side with their associated (hellish) heat output and toob rolling, biasing,etc. Minor issues to deal with for sure, but I want a tooby sounding SS amp, I think. Recco's?

Sep 1, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 36
I've heard that the Headamp GS-1 has a tubey sound to it. However, you do know the only real way to get that tube sound is to join us on the dark side
very_evil_smiley.gif

I have a feeling though this thread is going to take a turn for the worse (for you at least!), and you'll end up getting a tube amp
icon10.gif

Sep 1, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 36
I feel the HR-2 can sound very 'tooby" depending on opamps (which can be rolled). It's an awesome sounding amp that has great synergy w/ the 650s.
CPW

Sep 1, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 36
Sennheiser uses the Lehmann to demo their HD650

The Lehmann is an excellent SS amp but doesn't have the rich tones of a tube amp - just very clean and uncolored, with lightening quick transients.

I like a tube with amp with the SA5000.

With the HD650 it is more of a choice of whether you are SS or a tube person.

Sep 2, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
I feel the HR-2 can sound very 'tooby" depending on opamps (which can be rolled). It's an awesome sounding amp that has great synergy w/ the 650s.
CPW

Which op amps?

Sep 2, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjames8
Which op amps?

lets see

the opa627, the ths4601, the opa604, the opa134.. to name a few..

Sep 2, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #10 of 36
The best way to get the tube sound is use a tube amp
biggrin.gif

The small signal tubes that headphone amps tend to use dont get really hot, it's only really power tubes that get scorching hot (I found out the hard way). If you get an amp with auto bias then its simply a case of putting the new tubes in, switching on and enjoying the music
orphsmile.gif

As for rolling the tubes despite what people say the current production tubes are really not all that bad so you don't have to spend hundreds on a set tubes to get good sound from your amp.

Now choose your amp and welcome yourself to the vacuum side
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #14 of 36
My Singlepower MPX3 is the first tube product I have owned (other than some really old radios) and it aint that big a deal. Rolling is fun and not as quirky as it might seem. MPX3 sounds nice with the 650s too.
very_evil_smiley.gif

That said, I agree with cpw and markl that the HR-2 sounds great with the 650s, and it has a kind of tubey feel to it. Only heard it once at the SJ meet recently, but the one on the FS/FT lately has had me itching to find an excuse to buy it.
basshead.gif

Sep 2, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Ray Samuels HR-2 with stock AD797 op-amps. Perfection.

It’s possibly one of the finest solid-state audio products per dollar at this time, and the designer is a genius.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back