Too much burn in at the apple store?
Jul 25, 2012 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

smashdash

New Head-Fier
So I listend to some headphones at the local apple store. After coming home, I read online the it is not reccomended to listen to headphones at a store because the get too much burn in and are changed all the time. Is there truth in that claim?
thanks in advance!

Jul 25, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 8
Thats odd... I remember reading here (a long time ago) that apple stores change headphones every couple of months due to burn in. Thats why i asked, since i saw it a long time ago and also now from some friends...

Jul 25, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 8
Other than what's already been mentioned I would also worry about drivers being damaged by constantly high volumes - I don't know what others have experienced, but I'm always turning the volume down on almost everything I try out because they're EAR-BLEEDINGLY loud.

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 8
The only way "too much burn in" could be an issue is if it's worn by so many people for so many total hours that the pads start to break down and disintegrate.  This could affect the seal as well as the sound signature.

I have never seen a headphone in this condition at the Apple Store. (Perhaps that's because they switch out headphones every few months)

The reason I would take auditions there with a grain of salt is:

1) The environment (that's why beats may sound halfway decent at the apple store- they have good isolation)
2) Material (either unfamiliar with what's pre-loaded or low bitrate)
3) Chain (your results are through an ipod with no external DAC or amp)

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Two-fold reason they are changed, which is really one reason.  Many people wearing them can cause pad degradation, which can:

1) affect sound, and
2) Look raggedy, which I would imagine Apple does not want due to perception

I do not think the iProducts have enough power to really damage drivers, even at max volume.

Very good points.

It's likely that the sample Beats at the Apple Store break regularly and get need to replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back